Memebrship rights

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my understanding also, Trace. There are a lot of mini/pony people on these forums but there are also a lot that do not come here. Maybe an article in the Journal explaining things are in order Ray. What do you think? I do believe that a supplemental rule insert should be sent to all paying members. That way you are assured everyone knows of the current "legal" rules.

The wording of the rules and bylaws still exist. As I read the section on what powers the BOD has, it does give them ultimate power, but it, like Ray says, would not hold up in court most likely.

So we need an overhaul of the rules to state more clearly how the organization should work.

Thanks!

This is my understanding also, Trace. There are a lot of mini/pony people on these forums but there are also a lot that do not come here. Maybe an article in the Journal explaining things are in order Ray. What do you think? I do believe that a supplemental rule insert should be sent to all paying members. That way you are assured everyone knows of the current "legal" rules.

Do not take this wrong but all the information I have shared is nothing new. As far as the rights of the members they have been in place since day 1. The rule book is available online and I believe everyone gets one when they joined but none the less nothing I point out is secret. The interest or desire of any member to read and understand what I have said is available to all. Membership has its benefits but it also carries its responsibilities. Complacency in the status quo seems to prevail and it is a matter I am forced to deal with in my position as bylaws committee chair. I have for example made many efforts to obtain nothing more then a hint of the attitude, feelings or intent of what is this memberships will or intent on several matters. My efforts were meant will attitudes and accusations. Perhaps because of a lack of understanding or perhaps for other reasons but I have been forced to define the mere process of taking a poll solely for the purpose of finding direction on what this membership feels is important so that the bylaws committee could put together a set of revised bylaws which both corrected existing problems and invoke or enhanced areas if desired by this membership. I have personally been accused of having a agenda, and being bias for simply asking tough questions which needed real answers so as not to assume my feelings were those of the majority when developing the revised bylaws.

From the very beginning posted on the bylaws website is exactly the same information I have posted here. I know and understand everyone will not agree on many topics that our bylaws address but that does not mean we can simply skip that area and not have something to go by. I have been told that many members question my motives and that they felt I was covertly making changes following some preconceived agenda. Non of which is true and in fact the very enlightenment I seem to have provided in this thread would certainly demonstrate that even if I were doing such a thing it would be futile as the membership controls its own destiny and mine or anyone’s personal agenda would not survive the process.

So to directly address your idea who would write or even create such a article for the journal…My credibility comes into question with every post even when I make great efforts to stay on track and provide factual information and be transparent in all efforts I undertake. The facts are the facts and when I simply copy information and post it directly from our rule book there are those who find exception to the written word and not the words I have written but the very words they are governed by. It seems it has taken almost 6 months and a all uphill fight just to make a few here on these forums understand how important our bylaws are and what they represent …I fear volumes of journals and many years would not be enough to get the point to those not visiting the forums daily. I believe the best and only way those members will ever unlearn the things they now believe is the same way they came to believe them and that is by members explaining what is the facts and not what is their beliefs…the misinformation spread by word of mouth is the fault for the current situation and ironically it was my attempt to correct just such a situation that prompted this very thread in the first place.

Ray

I think a lot of the problem is that most do not understand the legal meanings of this bylaws. Most of us are not attorneys and dont have the ability to just pick up the phone and call one for advice. As you said yourself several of the bylaws can have different interpretations (which is not good)

I have encouraged everyone I know to visit your site. As mentioned before, many do not like to vote in your polls because you can see the name of who voted and what they voted (well not the actual vote but its easy to figure out) People tend to like anonymity when they vote even on a poll.

I would not say members are complacent. I would say they are frustrated. The average mini/pony owner cannot take trips to convention, spring board meeting etc to keep up. And our association has a bad record of putting out timely minutes so that people can try to stay informed. For example we can see that it did pass that the board had to publish BOD meeting minutes within so many days of the meeting. Yet as far as I know we still do not have the minutes of the spring board meeting. We have no minutes of BOD conference calls. This is just one example of why members get so frustrated and give up.

I do believe this frustration is showing up in members leaving as evidenced by the membership numbers. If that doesnt speak volumes I dont know what does?

Kay

Ray

I And our association has a bad record of putting out timely minutes so that people can try to stay informed. For example we can see that it did pass that the board had to publish BOD meeting minutes within so many days of the meeting. Yet as far as I know we still do not have the minutes of the spring board meeting. We have no minutes of BOD conference calls. This is just one example of why members get so frustrated and give up.

I do believe this frustration is showing up in members leaving as evidenced by the membership numbers. If that doesnt speak volumes I dont know what does?

Kay
Kay ,

The Spring Board meeting minutes have been up for some time.. They are in the members section , you have to sign in to read them.. We have a rule where they have to be up within 30 days.. Also it is my understanding that conference calls are consider closed session.
default_saludando.gif

Ray...

I have said it before and will say it again THANK YOU- I will admit sometimes I have to read what you wrote a few times over until I think I truly get it LOL but I know you have been accused of having secret agendas and treated so nasty and with such disrespect so many times - I for one appreicate you continuing on despite that and working so hard to ensure that us the members understand our registry!

Thank you but my last post was not intended to visit the past but hopefully to move things toward the future. If anything good comes out of this thread I hope it is an understanding of the importance of our bylaws and what they represent and as such, if as Kay stated the prevailing attitude is one of frustration and not complacency, then those members will come forth and recognize how important their input is in the task of the bylaws committee. We have a long way to go and a short time to get there and now is the time and opportunity for this membership to make known and address any and all issues it feels need addressing. The dilemma faced by the committee is we have committed to presenting a revised set of bylaws to the membership at the 2010 annual meeting and have every intention of fulfilling that task. Without input or direction from the membership I fear many things which could otherwise be addressed will be missed. Further to those issues which are addressed may result in a feeling of resentment by virtue of having to remain as is.

As to the issue of the polls and the autonomy in voting I have asked that be changed and was told it could not be done with the existing program…..not my choice but my answer. None the less and not to sound brash but if someone does not feel strong enough on an issue to step up and vote on a poll what will they do when asked to vote on its implementation or rejection.

I don’t wish to offend anyone by saying this but if you will not stand up for what you believe then you deserve what you get.

With that last statement comes once again a plea to the membership to help themselves by helping this committee develop a revised set of bylaws that represent and address what is the will and intent of you the members and not sit back and complain when your needs are not served because you failed to express what they were when you had the chance.

Your input does matter and will be considered.

Please sign up and help this committee help you.

http://www.bylawscommittee.com/

Ray Tobin

Bylaws Committee Chair

Well if the BOD meeting notes were posted on the shetlandminiature.com site it was in a place we members didn't know about. I 've been looking for them every week since the Spring BOD meeting. I checked last week in the member section and they were not listed, but they are listed today, so Kay sometime in the past 5 business days they have been posted to the Members section.

Well if the BOD meeting notes were posted on the shetlandminiature.com site it was in a place we members didn't know about. I 've been looking for them every week since the Spring BOD meeting. I checked last week in the member section and they were not listed, but they are listed today, so Kay sometime in the past 5 business days they have been posted to the Members section.
Trace ,

Up until a few days ago , they were posted under the Board members tab , which was not where they belong, so now they have been moved to the place they were suppose to be..

Ray~ I also appreciate all the hard effort you are putting into the bylaw effort!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Ray

Kay
The economy???

Thanks Belinda. I know I had been checking off and on since the spring board meeting under the BOD tab but they werent there. I did ask a couple times but no one knew why they werent posted.

I had no idea that conference calls were considered closed session? I thought closed session was only for personnel issues?

Lisa the economy certainly has something to do with it too.

Kay

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back