Gardeners have you got any advice?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy

Reaction score
I have had a forsythia bush since the year after we moved here. (about 11 years) It bloomed the first couple of years and then the next year I had to move it. I moved it to full sun, which is where I remember my mother's doing really well.

Well either I put it in the wrong spot, or I am doing something else wrong, because it is stunted or something. It is only about three feet high, and does not bloom any more. :no: The last three years or so it has had literally 2 or 3 yellow flowers, and then the leaves came out. It seems pretty healthy, even if it is small. Is there something I can do to get it to bloom next year? Should I prune it? (I never have because it is still so small) If so what time of year should I do it?

Information on Forsythias

One of the earliest signs that spring has arrived, is when the Forsythia bursts into a profusion of yellow blossoms spreading from the ground to the tip of each graceful, cascading branch.

The Forsythia is a fast growing (1-2 feet per year) deciduous shrub, which is hardy in USDA zones 4-9. Depending on the variety, they can vary in size from a compact one foot tall plant, to others that can reach 8 to 10 feet in height.

Forsythias make excellent informal hedges, or may be planted as an individual specimen. The taller varieties are easily espaliered against a wall or fence. The branches may be cut and brought into the house in late winter. In a week or two, you will be treated to an extra early flower bouquet.

Forsythias thrive in full sun or light shade, will grow in almost any soil, and are quite tolerant of the poor growing conditions, and pollutants found in cities.

Although Forsythias aren't really fussy about their growing conditions, they will perform best when given optimum conditions.

The soil should be well-drained. The addition of peat moss, composted manure, or garden compost to the existing soil will get the plant off to a good healthy start. Larger varieties should be given plenty of space to grow, to fully appreciate the beauty of the natural cascading shape of a specimen sized plant. Forsythias will bloom best in full sun, but may be planted in light shade.

Forsythias benefit from a light annual feeding of an all-purpose (10-10-10) garden type fertilizer, applied in mid-February through mid-May.

New plants can be started from softwood cuttings, taken from new growth in late spring or early summer. Another method of propagation is by the method known as ground layering. This is done by pinning the tip of a branch to the ground, where it will root. Once rooted you may sever the new start from the parent, and replant it elsewhere.

Forsythias are best planted or transplanted during the winter dormant season, however, new additions to your garden can be safely planted at any time of the year.

Pruning Forsythias

Forsythia flowers form on the previous season's growth, not on new growth, so pruning should be done immediately after the flowers have faded. Once your Forsythia finishes blooming, take a close look to see what pruning needs to be done. Each year, you should prune back about one fourth of the oldest stems to within 4 inches of the ground.

If your Forsythia is drastically overgrown from years of neglect, it may stop blooming altogether. If this is the case, you can cut the entire plant to the ground. It may take a few years before you'll see blooms again, but your shrub will come back, better than ever!

Forcing Forsythias

By the end of the winter, most gardeners are longing to see a few fresh flowers. One of the easiest ways to have a few winter blooms is to force a Forsythia branch. The best branches for forcing are those near the top of the plant, dotted with closely spaced buds. The larger the buds, the more quickly they'll bloom indoors.

Cut a whole branch, all the way back to the stem. Trim any buds and side branches from the area of the stem which will be submerged in the water (they'll rot). Recut the stem at a long slant and place them in a vase of cold water in a cool place for two days. Recut the stem again, and move it into a vase of warm, fresh water. Set the vase in a sunny window, and in a few weeks, you will have a golden bouquet to brighten your day.

These branches may root, if left in the vase for several more weeks. When they have a substantial root ball, transplant them into pots, or directly into the garden, if the weather has warmed sufficiently.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Reble told you tells it all my response was to butcher it. I mean cut what you think would be right then cut some more for what ever reason they love it.

Thank you all so much! Here I was afraid to prune it because it hasn't grown much, and it seems from this information that this is the problem with it. I might as well get out my pruning shears now, because the green leaves are coming out.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
default_smile.png

Back