Gabriel's story - for those that asked.........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
This morning Larry posted a "brief" story about Gabriel on his "My Space". He was obviously fretting about the appointment like I was. As you read it, please note that he is writing to NON-horse people.

Gabriel was born as a premie on Mother's Day, 4 years ago, and I had to revive him. He went septic on us a few days later........just to explain some of what Larry mentions...... Here is GABRIEL'S STORY in LARRY'S WORDS ----

Today Gabriel gets gelded. Who's Gabriel you may ask? I guarantee he is aptly named.

Gabriel is a four year old stallion who was born extremely sick. Our veterinarian wanted us to put him down as he didn't have much of a chance to live. We refused.

He was a lovely colt and our vet and we had performed miracles in the past (albeit expensively). Well, with extreme ICU type care, he recovered and survived his first month. Because of all the handling, he was a very friendly and inquisitive little colt. He wasn't the strongest baby we had because of his slow start but he was healthy. He looked a lot like his dam (his mother) and his sire but that was expected. Gabe was our first (and only) experiment in in-breeding (Terra, his mother is his father's daughter--sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke) which is not uncommon in the horse breeding industry.

When Gabe was approaching two months of age, MA, Bri, and I went away for a weekend (think to a horse show). Upon return, we saw that the guy who was taking care of the ranch had taken it upon himself to put Gabe and his mother in with the stallion we were going to breed her to for the next year. The stallion is a big, burly, gorgeous pony. Not a problem, we were going to do it---except we saw that Gabe was limping. Checking his leg, he had a little cut, which we treated. We figured (and still do) that the stallion bred Terra and slipped off of her and landed on a sleeping Gabe's leg. The injury didn't look bad so we didn't think much of it.

Gabriel limped around for several days. We checked the injury daily and were a little concerned that it wasn't healing. His leg was cold. After the fifth day, MA was massaging the injured leg and Gabe's hoof fell off in her hand! Oh, it wasn't like the bottom of his leg came off -- it was more like a fingernail which had been injured coming off. There was a tiny, malformed hoof remaining--very soft and COLD. We immediatedly brought him to our vet who proclaimed that the lower leg was dead. It was a right rear leg--an extremely important leg for a horse. We had already spent over a thousand dollars on this colt nursing him from his earlier sickness. Our vet wanted to put him down--again we refused. We took Gabe home and didn't know what to do. The vet had told us that this little horse's life was in jeopardy.

A friend came by who is an animal nut. She expressed concern and agreed that this little begger was a fighter and we needed to explore more options for Gabriel. She contacted another vet, who agreed to see him. We made the appointment and took him in. THAT vet told us what had happened...the impact of the stallion (most likely) landing on the little guy's leg most likely severed a tendon AND the blood supply to the lower leg. The leg was indeed dead. He was willing to amputate the part of the limb that had died although he had never amputated a horse's leg before.. The friend agreed to finance this project (she had more money than brains). On the appointed date, Gabe went in and had his right leg below the "elbow joint' in the right rear leg (hock for those who are in the know).

The operation was successful. As is normally the case, the aftercare by us was the most important part of this operation and MA and I spent a couple of hours every day unbandaging the stump, cleaning it, treating it with an antibacterial, then rebandaging. We spent a fortune in bandages, socks, and a special medical tape. The stump was ugly and a raging red mass of tissue and bone. It took some time to get used to it but it was a twice daily task and it started to heal.

The long and short here is that Gabriel survived the amputation and learned to walk on three legs. He is slightly mishapen from the effort needed to use muscles not intended for walking but he moves around fine and when running, it is hard to realize he only has three legs. At some point, a newspaper article was written about him and a company specializing in building prosthetics for people got involved. They took on Gabe as a challenge and pro bono (free) they built him a prosthetic after many measurements. He was a challenge for them---up to this point, there hasn't been a leg built that he'll keep on. He's had several made and they are still working on it. Gabriel hates these artificial limbs--if he only knew that if he'd keep one on, he'd be able to breed a mare---up to this point, Gabriel will try to mount a mare, only to roll off of her because he can't keep his balance. He's still a beautiful horse and we'd love a baby from him but....

Gabriel's future is to become a therapy horse. Our plans for him, once he's gelded (oh, that means making him not a stallion anymore) are to have him certified as a therapy horse and take him around the country to children's clinics and hospitals where he'll be shared with youngsters who are facing amputation. He has a fantastic attitude and loves people. With some luck, we'll get financing through grant money and that will become my job.

Gabriel, by the way, is one of only about 100 surviving horse amputees in the US.

Gabriel gets gelded today...it is truly a new beginning for him--and for us. I'm excited for him.

This is MA again..........Trust me, this isn't the whole story. But if you knew some of the details, it would blow your socks off! :bgrin

Thank you for posting that as I was wondering what Gabriels story was. You should be so proud of your little horse and Larry I can just tell loves him to pieces too. God Bless you all !!!, Heidi

wow, what a great job that would be for Gabriel, to hold out hope to children like that - i will be
default_pray.gif
: that your grants come through!!!

Funny you should post this as I have had Gabriel on my mind lately,

wondering how he is doing, thinking he must be a pretty grown up boy now.

It's wonderful to read his update and know that he is still in your loving care

with a new career ahead of him..........

How lucky he is to have you and how lucky you are to have him

Thanks for the background. He's an amazing little fella! :aktion033:

He sure is a breath of fresh air! Little did you know that little boy that had his leg amputated would be helping others as a therapy horse. Truly an inspiration!

Miniv that is a wonderful success story. I would love to see some pictures of this miracle horse. The only reason he is so strong is because of you and your family. He feeds off of you. Give him a hug for me.

Carlene

thanks for sharing Gabriel's story for those of us not around long enough to have known it

what a lucky horse to have you guys as owners

my heart goes out to you and all you have been through with him

Lori

Yahoooo Gabe...so MA, does he still have the run of the place ? LOL Cool story. :aktion033:

Thank you for sharing Gabe's wonderful story with us. What a blessing, and in so many different ways. You are fortunate to have each other. I would also love to see a photo of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fantastic story.

I hope to meet Gabriel in-person one day.

Kari

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for your comments! For those that haven't seen his photo(s)..........There's one of him as a youngster and also one taken last year on my original thread -- entitled "Gabriel was Gelded today......" It's probably scrolled down a bit by now.

Trust me, we have zillions of photos taken all through his amputation process! But I doubt many folks would want to see them.
default_unsure.png
: Larry and I have debated about writing a young person's book about him, but have hesitated.........Have had two articles written about him here locally and one of the reporters thinks a book would be neat.......... We're not sure........

MA

That is a wonderful story Maryann. I remember when Gabriel lost his leg. So glad to hear what a special horse he has become. Congrats to you and Larry!

Beth

Well knowing a bit more about Gabriel, you and Larry, I would be tempted to write 2 books. A brief children's book with lots of pics and easy words for them to empathize with their own situation. Sometimes seeing an animal in one's own situation makes it more bearable. Children are so amazing and I think Gabriel could well become a super hero the likes of Spiderman and such written in that context. Poor hurt baby conquers the tribulations? THEN, I would write one for the adults, especially parents and also those horse folk who may encounter this and opt to put a horse down. IF they knew the possibility that is "Gabriel"; you could save lives!

:aktion033: What a wonderful story of courage and true love, yes you should write a book about Gabriel for children that are having to go through what he has survived. His story and attitude will help them so much you just have to do it :bgrin God Bless you.

Yvonne

Latest posts

Back