Furnace replacement costs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently interested in a really cute home I found, but it has an oil furnace - I don't know if that is really a bad thing but my dad always told me "do NOT buy a home with an oil furnace, you don't want that." But here I sit, I found a really cute home and so far the only thing I see wrong is it has an oil furnace.

I am researching costs to replace the old oil furnace with a two-stage or variable-speed blower since I live in the NE part of WI where it gets reaaally cold and this type of furnace is said to be the most efficient for keeping the house an even temperature. Also there is a tax break going on right now until December 31, 2007 if you upgrade to a furnace that is 90% efficient or higher, you can claim $150 on your taxes...not much for spending a few grand but hey, money back is money back LOL!

Just wanted to hear a few personal opinions for those who have researched and installed new furnaces...what brand did you go with, and why? And most important...how much did it cost, including installation?

We like oil furnaces here in Ontario, and some people like the combination oil and wood furnace.

We bought a new oil furnace in 2003

From our oil dealer.

Deltson Amt 200B34-SM3PM

$2495.00 / PST included. for the furnace and $850.00 installed.

add GST in Canada Total: $3579.15

I think around here, oil is really expensive so we go with gas or LP furnaces. I don't know much about why or whatever but I do know I hear from a lot of people that oil is BAD...my dad said it first and from there I keep hearing it from others too!

I can probably live with an oil furnace until I can save up for my own but my hopes were to figure out the cost of a new furnace system, gas, efficient, and see if they'd give me a cash back to upgrade the furnace.

If you do end up purchasing the house maybe you will get lucky with a house inspection not pass the furnace. You possibly could negotiate with the seller to replace it. Or atleast a good building inspecter would be able to tell if it will last a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our trailer had an oil furnace in it when we moved in. It was December when we moved in & we had no choice but to use the furnace. It was very expensive--that was my first complaint about it. I forget how much it cost to fill the tank, but it was a lot and it had to be filled all too often! Then one day the furnace started to give off the most awful stink--turns out something was leaking & oil was dripping onto the pilot light. They told me it wasn't really dangerous (I wasn't convinced!) but it sure did smell bad. Fixed that, then within a few weeks it was stinking again--stupid thing was leaking again. We replaced the furnace with an electric one & sure haven't regretted it. I can't remember what that cost us, $1000+ I think but that was 20+ years ago.

This past summer I inquired on an air conditioner, the kind that doesn't require ducts. It was $2400 and the sales man told me we'd probably be further ahead to put in a new furnace with central air. He quoted me $2000 (installation included) for a central air furnace. I was surprised; I'd expected it would cost more than the ductless air conditioner but such isn't the case.

We are replacing our old heating oil (fancy name for diesel) furnace with a natural gas one this month. The new furnace and labour to put it in is going to be $2600. Running the line to the house is going to be $3600.

Our new one was about $2000, but that was back in 1998, I think it was.

Our costs to heat our house per year w/the diesel is about $350, not including the electricity to run the furnace/fans.

Liz

Well the house didn't turn out so well but, I am glad I asked this question because now I know i've turned away so many properties because they are oil heated when I really should have looked at them...to be just a few thousand to upgrade and I feel stupid for turning away some really nice properties just because they were oil heated! :eek:

Thanks everyone!

Back