Fun over; work begins! 3 yr olds started...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I changed the topic of this post to reflect working with the other 3 yr olds as well (Cupid, Ami, Ranger. GG, also a 3 yr old, is already going in harness and has had several posts done on her here and in Pony Talk).

We now have "Ami" started and will continuing thru hitching work. She is a double registered MH/Shetland mare that is very tiny compared to most of the rest of our ponies. She's changed a lot - right now - she's just a bit lighter than I want her to be (she came to us VERY round - like a barrel with legs - in 2012) - but is quite elegant looking. She has to develop her neck muscles now that she's lost the weight in her neck (she was cresty).

She is doing ground work - leading from both sides, moving both her hind and fore quarters away from pressure, sending her between objects, sending her thru water - both while being led from either side and by lounging her thru it. NOw she's also ground driving thru it - in harness and wearing her bridle. The biggest problem with this little, "in your pocket" girl, has been getting her OUT of your pocket and off of your feet. Teaching her to stay out of our space is a major part of her daily handling right now - she constantly forgets. She has to be encouraged to move out - she prefers walking (not a bad thing, right now).

When putting a harness on her (she was fitted with it and ground driven w/ no other introduction trying the harness out last fall as a 2 yr old), for fitting, we found it will need to have some holes put in it to make is still smaller. She had her first ground driving session yesterday but needs to be worked a little more with in between leading and ground driving so that she automatically gives to light pulls on the lines. Overall she did great! She appears to be one of the easiest ones ever for us to start - reminding me of Stuffy, Bell and Koalah.

I don't plan on skipping any steps, but have a strong feeling that she will advance thru ground driving to pulling a drag, to being hitched single quite quickly and that we will be driving her this fall/winter with no problems. I just love attitudes and calm acceptance like she has!

Some pics - ground work -

13aug3ami649.jpg
leading from the left.

2nd time of tarp work -

13aug3ami684.jpg

and harnessed. She will benefit from a shaped breast collar and buckle in (both end adjustable) traces.

13aug3ami722.jpg

Thought I'd share. Many MH/Shetlands in her pedigree are great driving horses! Love this part, but looking forward to the next!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back