Ft. Worth Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel_cowgirl

Reaction score
People have been talking about the sale, but I just wondered from the people who went and showed how the show went?
default_smile.png
About how many show horses were there?

Thanks!

It was a fairly small show, but some nice horses there. The two supreme halter horses were both bought at the World Show Sale last year which is a testament to the quality that can be bought there! Alamos Sir's Special and Cherryville Rio's Angelique.

Lauren's mare Rosaline was Reserve Senior Mare under one of the judges. (This is an old picture of her)

rosalineDSC_6654.jpg

I encourage everyone that can please count on showing there next year. If the show gets too small we will lose it I am afraid and it is the best exposure that we can get for miniatures. Saturday night the stands were full with spectators!

You are so right Tony. We lost our miniature show at the National Western Stock Show here in Colorado. This is where alot of people first saw their miniature or even bought them. So I to encourage you all if possible to show at the show or you will lose it.

I have went back and forth on to post or not. We did not show last year at all, and

we did not show at the stock show either. We did go out Sat. night to the rodeo, and

went by the mini show. It was very sad, to see just how small the show was. Just how

few horses there were. And the crowd was the largest I have ever seen watching a show.

The stands were full. Yes, this is a great way to show the public our minis. And a great

way to advertise your farms and minis.

The reason we stop showing at the stock show, is it is so cold. It is hard on the horses,

to be clipped, bathe, and then stand there in the arena with no hair on to be shown.

They freeze, standing there shaking. Then you take them back to the stalls, layer tons

of blankets on them, use heat lamps to try to keep them warm. You bring them home, and

for the next couple of months work hard to keep them warm. We use to show at the stock

show, you do meet tons of people, and the crowds love it. We use to bring our's out so the

kids could pet them, knowing this is the first time they may have ever seen a horse, but

a mini. They loved it. But its hard to keep them warm. I use to even buy extra large sweat

shirts and put on them under the blankets. Maybe if the show was shown in full coats,

maybe more would show. Yes, I do know you can, but come on, when all clipping. You

won't have a chance to place.

And I do have one thing more to add. I was so furious, beyond angry. We were walking by the

stalls, I won't say the farm's name. But here was these two minis, in a stall, clipped so close, and

NO Blankets, no nothing on them. They did put a heat lamp on over the stall. Those two minis

were so cold. Standing there under the heat lamps, and freezing. I look in the stall to see if they

had pulled their blanket off, if they had, I was going in to put them on. Even though they were

not mine. No blankets anywhere. No one was around either to complain to. We look. It was after

the show was over. How can you clip a horse and not put a blanket on it. I just hope the owners

went back later and put some blankets on them.

Vicky

I have not shown there in a couple of years - I would hate to see the show go away, it is a good venue, but I am just loathe to clip this time of year. Horses are cold, and it takes mine months before their coats look good again. I wouldn't mind seeing it go to a performance show - no clipping required. Performance classes are great spectator classes, more fun for the typical stock show drop in spectator I would think than halter classes. Might be a way to keep the numbers up and keep the show viable. The Wild N Wooly show in Katy recently had a great turnout, and was a fun show for everyone.

Jan

Hey Jan

That is a great ideal, to make it a performance show, and stop Clipping. I hate clipping

them in the winter. Its to hard on them. I think they would have a much bigger show, if

they stop the clipping. You look at the big horses there, they were all in full coats in the

rodeo. I am not sure on the other breeds, like the paints, or palomino's. But looking around

their number of horses look small too. I think if this changed from clipping more would show.

Great ideal.

Vicky

:aktion033: :aktion033:

The big horse show horses are usually blanketed and under lights, so yes they may have a slick coat, but they don't have to deal with clipping issues.

A performance show could include audience friendly classes like costume and liberty, as well as driving, hunter /jumper and obstacle.

Jan

We went last year and bought a two year old filly there, and when we brought her home she had to stay in a stall with a run by herself, so she wouldn't get her blanket pulled off. She was miserable, and I would not want to try and keep another horse covered in the winter like we had to with her. BUT, you are not going to get the show changed to a performance show because of the sale. When you have a horse shaved you can bring more for them at a sale then if they are covered in hair. I just wonder if they only clipped the head and necks if they would sale as well? Then the idea of a performance show would fly. I know I felt very sorry for those that were not covered like they should of been and freezing in those cold concrete stalls.

Tony,

I know this is a no no, but I know of several pony people here in Texas that would LOVE to show at the stock shows. They just won't let us in. Perhaps, in order to save the AMHA show something could be worked out with ASPC? Belinda - ya out there?

We had a blast there! Our first time, showing off the "ponies" were great. Of course, sometimes you couldn't get much done for the people in the way, but we did like to show off our guys! Plus we met several nice Forum people there.

But I also agree- it was way too cold for them naked. Our guys had blankets and were STILL cold, and it's supposed to get COLDER yet this week.

Of course, we have a few complaints- the stock show people didn't CLEAN our stalls before we got there, they had just thrown the new shavings on the old shavings already in there! Bleah.... :smileypuke: So we had to pick the dirt out from under the clean.... our tack stall had shavings in it, had to clean THAT out. And the woman doing the measuring wasn't the friendliest sort... we must have stood there to get measured for ten minutes before she finally got around to us, never told me how tall my guys were (don't show me the stick, I can't see those numbers!), and when we brought our last horse up, we were told she's closed and done for the night (it was only 7:30). No posted measuring times.... and no warm up place for driving- the "big" horse people refused to let us drive in the arena in the stall area. We went in anyways, but the ground was too choppy and muddy, and they wash the drives outside and it turned to ice that morning, so we couldn't even drive outside!!

And did Sunday's classes FLY! We were DONE by 1:30!! I was racing horses up and down to make our driving classes!

Otherwise, we had a great time, and Katie was estatic when Tony asked her to take a horse in the color class for him, plus she also got to take a horse in a championship class when another lady had too many horses and not enough people!

Lucy

BUT, you are not going to get the show changed to a performance show because of the sale. When you have a horse shaved you can bring more for them at a sale then if they are covered in hair
Yes, I thought of that and it would be a problem. Still worth thinking about though, maybe there is a solution out there. If the show dwindles down to nothing, the sale will be a non issue anyway.

Jan

Tony,

I know this is a no no, but I know of several pony people here in Texas that would LOVE to show at the stock shows. They just won't let us in. Perhaps, in order to save the AMHA show something could be worked out with ASPC? Belinda - ya out there?
I tried this year to get the Pony classes in , but they could only take about 20 classes and that was way short to get a approved show .. So maybe next year , I have emailed them again about trying for next year..

We went and took 5 head to the show and yes it is a real pain to clip this time of the year. As we have to fire up the heaters in the barn, double blanket etc. untill the weather warms up and/or the coats grow out.

Actually though the number was up this year to 93 head at the show this year, last year it was down to 70 something. Lee Crutchfield, Ray Zoecher, John Lambert, Gerald Wells and a couple of other trainers were there and they all brought in some very nice horses where the overall quality was very good.

There were a few new folks that had fun at the first show they had done also, which was fun to watch them be so excited.

So all in all till the cold front moved in sat. evening it was an okay deal. The attendance at the show though was awesome, as someone else mentioned the stands were completely full. I had to stand up in the back to watch our stallion show. Which is the reason we keep going, even with all the related problems. We can mange the problems it causes and the mini's are really enjoyed by all the non-mini general public, which is important to the industry as a whole. Ft Worth allways treats us very well also. There was even an article in the Ft Worth paper about the mini's which was cool to see.

It was neat to see our filly we sold at the national sale win one of the supremes for her new owner Val Shingledecker and her daughter. At the same show her Sire Cherryville's Rio De Oro won his first supreme at his first show in 2000. It brought back a lot of wonderful memories to say the least.

By the way Vicki, I saw those same horses you saw and went to the show managment and they found the owners and had them put blankets on them. The inconsiderate rat finks!

Last edited by a moderator:
We went and took 5 head to the show and yes it is a real pain to clip this time of the year. As we have to fire up the heaters in the barn, double blanket etc. untill the weather warms up and/or the coats grow out.

Actually though the number was up this year to 93 head at the show this year, last year it was down to 70 something. Lee Crutchfield, Ray Zoecher, John Lambert, Gerald Wells and a couple of other trainers were there and they all brought in some very nice horses where the overall quality was very good.

There were a few new folks that had fun at the first show they had done also, which was fun to watch them be so excited.

So all in all till the cold front moved in sat. evening it was an okay deal. The attendance at the show though was awesome, as someone else mentioned the stands were completely full. I had to stand up in the back to watch our stallion show. Which is the reason we keep going, even with all the related problems. We can mange the problems it causes and the mini's are really enjoyed by all the non-mini general public, which is important to the industry as a whole. Ft Worth allways treats us very well also. There was even an article in the Ft Worth paper about the mini's which was cool to see.

It was neat to see our filly we sold at the national sale win one of the supremes for her new owner Val Shingledecker and her daughter. At the same show her Sire Cherryville's Rio De Oro won his first supreme at his first show in 2000. It brought back a lot of wonderful memories to say the least.

By the way Vicki, I saw those same horses you saw and went to the show managment and they found the owners and had them put blankets on them. The inconsiderate rat finks!
John

First, thank you for finding the show managment and making the owners blanket those horses. I was

so angry that they had the nerve not to blanket them. The poor horses were freezing.

Yes, the attendance (people watching) was the highest I have ever seen at any AMHA show, or at least in a long time. This is a great way to show your horses and the mini horses for everyone. I so agree there.

But, unlike you, I don't have the heaters in my barn to fire up. I have to use sweat shirts, double blankets,

heat lamps, lots of shavings, and then keep them in till it warms up.

I think if the show was a performance show, and we showed the horses in long coats we get tons of more people to show. We use to do this show, several years. But I hate the clipping and fighting to keep them warm. I hate that they stand in the arena showing and freezing. Its just not worth it to me, to get a ribbon.

I too have done well there, our mare SW Look At Me Again, got her first trophy at this show, we have won many ribbons from this show. But its just not worth it, fighting to keep them warm.

Maybe if we had the big barn, and the heaters we feel different. But right now, we don't.

Vicky

I've shown at that show for some years in the past, but the weather here has been so unpredictable, it's become impossible to plan for it. This year wouldn't have worked at all! We've been pounded by ice and snow and bitter cold. I couldn't even get a trailer out until Sunday due to the ice!!

I definitely hope the show continues, but it's unlikely that I will be able to plan for it in the future. Congrats to all who did well there! :aktion033:

I agree with you it is a real pain, hopefully they wil continue the show. As you know we lost the Houston Livestock show a few years ago over some problems unrelated to the horses. So I hope merely from a P.R. standpoint that the show continues, it is important.

I don't know about you folks but I am sick of all this rain and mud everywhere. The horses and I talked this morning and we are all against it.

:saludando:

Latest posts

Back