Frustrating fact...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Jill, Why did you delete the comment to me?

LOL James...if only it were that easy!
default_wink.png
default_rolleyes.gif

In all honesty, I have done that "off-topic" thing myself, but I always try to get back on track...lol
default_wacko.png

I too want to know who Higgs Boson is.....?
default_unsure.png

OOOOHH, I feel an off Topic coming on !! LOL

I might need to start one:

Anonymity on online forum: A Necessary Safety Precaution, an all to simple way to Troll, or an

acceptable alternative to join in on Hot topic without fear of Retaliation.

OR

WHO THE H$@$% is HIGGS BOSON!!

That being said, I don't know if we could all handle the truth. I am still recovering from trying to figure out what an ACTUAL Higgs Boson is, Wikipedia needs a warning label. LOL

Edited to make it look like I can spell words larger than "the"

Last edited by a moderator:
What a Higgs Boson is, is simple. Who a Higgs Boson is, is irrelevant.

The think topics take a bird walk once the original topic has been discussed as thoroughly as it can be for the time being.
default_wink.png

I think topics that are popular frequently drift as one perspective leads to other insights, sides and spinoffs. It's as it's always been.

SOOOOO....getting back to the topic(s) at hand, I found it interesting that the Iowa Caucuses last night land-blasted Michelle Bachman who rallied the initiative of her campaign around denying the gay rights marriage. Iowa is one of the states the currently allows gay marriage, and the gay population spoke out LOUDLY last night as she recieved only 6% of the vote compared to EVERY OTHER candidate. There are many polls out that show the numbers (as non-technical as they may be) of the gay population and younger crowds who clearly did not endorse her efforts. I must say, the other candidates have merely avoided this topic during the recent interviews, however, have had opinions about neutrality and pro/con in the past.

OOOOHH, I feel an off Topic coming on !! LOL

I might need to start one:

Anonymity on online forum: A Necessary Safety Precaution, an all to simple way to Troll, or an

acceptable alternative to join in on Hot topic without fear of Retaliation.

OR

WHO THE H$@$% is HIGGS BOSON!!

That being said, I don't know if we could all handle the truth.
James, I do think I could handle the truth. I know that not everyone either agrees with or supports my feelings. What does upset me is that people FEEL that they cannot stand up and voice an opinion for fear of retaliation. Is that not what makes for adult conversation - hearing both sides of an issue? Beyond that, I think it is somewhat cowardly to make a statement or join a conversation, no matter what the topic, and then hide behind a screen name. Worse yet, to create a "person" for the sole sake of stating an anonymous opinion.

Why are people on this message board so suspicious of someone posting without using their real name? I just pulled up one old thread, opened a page at random, and counted ZERO "real names" being used. I've never joined a message board and posted with my real name. I always use a screen name. Is it because I'm not afraid to state my opinions so you must presume I'm some mousy person who posts here a lot using another name? I also posted on another thread before I posted on this one so joining just to post on this thread is incorrect.

The last thing I use a screen name for is "fear of retaliation". That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

This happens to be only the second thread I've posted in because I've only just joined. And this happens to be an issue I feel strongly about.

I don't care what people think of my opinions. Would you like me to start them again.

Back to the OP

1) The Bible says gays are an abomination. As a result of this the Far Right Fundamentalist Christians are very much against gay marriage as are many moderate Christian voters. That's why so few states are allowing gay marriage or civil unions.

2) The bible is 100% supportive of first cousins marrying therefore it's allowed in a lot of states.

3) There are millions of people out there who are more than happy because of their faith to control just how you and I live your life through the way they vote.

We were founded upon separation of church and state but because we allow voting on issues then those groups with something to gain (or prevent) will produce heavy turnouts.

If you think the Supreme Court can sit in a neutral position look at their religious make up and remember the Old Testament for Christian, Catholic and Jew is the same book.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr..................................Roman Catholic

<br style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 12px; text-align: left; ">

Justice Antonin Scalia................................................Roman Catholic

<br style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 12px; text-align: left; ">

Justice Anthony Kennedy............................................Roman Catholic

Justice Clarence Thomas............................................Roman Catholic

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.......................................Jewish

Justice Stephen Breyer...............................................Jewish

Justice Samuel Alito..................................................Roman Catholic

Justice Sonia Sotomayor............................................Roman Catholic

Justice Elena Kagan...................................................Jewish

EDIT to say....sorry copied and pasted that list and too lazy to edit correctly.
smile.gif

I think in these more controversial topics the annonymity does play a larger role. I think many people already have trouble haveing a respectful adult conversation when they are passionate about something. They do not behave how they normaly would, lying, calling names, even resorting to the old, la la la, I cant hear you, la la la. By remaining annonymous you avoid a certain amount of personal responsibility and accountability for you behavior. On this forum many of us, if not all, know one eachother as much more than a screen name. We are miniature horse owners who do business with one another, see eachother at shows, many of us are fb friends, we know eachothers daily lives. All these things make us think twice before being rude or inconsiderate. My personal thought, strong words are reserved for people strong enough to handle the opinion readers might form about them.

I think in these more controversial topics the annonymity does play a larger role. I think many people already have trouble haveing a respectful adult conversation when they are passionate about something. They do not behave how they normaly would, lying, calling names, even resorting to the old, la la la, I cant hear you, la la la. By remaining annonymous you avoid a certain amount of personal responsibility and accountability for you behavior. On this forum many of us, if not all, know one eachother as much more than a screen name. We are miniature horse owners who do business with one another, see eachother at shows, many of us are fb friends, we know eachothers daily lives. All these things make us think twice before being rude or inconsiderate. My personal thought, strong words are reserved for people strong enough to handle the opinion readers might form about them.
I'm not sure who you're aiming this at but nowhere have I been rude, lied, called names or disrespectful to anyone. There's one poster who has done the old "la,la,la can't hear you" but I presume the name they are using is their real name. If there's a rule to using your own name here then lets all follow it. Until then, I'm posting under a name I've used many times before.
yes.gif

Nicely said James - You do not have to agree with me, but being respectful and discussing a topic as opposed to ridiculing me, are what makes a good person.

I also posted on another thread before I posted on this one so joining just to post on this thread is incorrect.

This would be incorrect - of the total (18) posts you have posted until exactly 3 minutes ago, seventeen are in the topic of Frustrating fact - this topic. The ONE other post you made on this site under your current name is in the topic of Horses (also on the Back Porch) which YOU started on December 20, 2011. You joined this forum, under this username on December 15, 2011. You did NOT post on another thread before this. Please do not insult me or the others on this site by blatantly lying to us.

This happens to be only the second thread I've posted in because I've only just joined. And this happens to be an issue I feel strongly about.

I do appreciate that you are posting because you feel strongly about the issue

Nicely said James - You do not have to agree with me, but being respectful and discussing a topic as opposed to ridiculing me, are what makes a good person.
I must have missed a whole bunch of posts. Who is not being respectful and who is ridiculing? Have people been saying things and then editing their posts? I'd love to know because I've found this thread quite interesting.

The only part I was referring to you Higgs was, "strong words are reserved for people strong enough to handle the opinion readers might form about them. The words that come to mind are,

"We are a predominately Christian Nation and as Christians then we must obey and respect Gods word."

"God says homosexuality is an abomination. God is never wrong. Therefore all Christians must feel this way"

But when people want you to defend that position you tell them not to presume you are a Christian? You won't actually say if these are your feelings, but inferred them as strongly as possible. Later on you begin SEEMING like you have a problem with Right Wing Zealots, but in all actuality you never say that any more definitively than when you seemed like you were a Christian. In the end, allot of strong controversial contradicting statements with no actual commitment to either.

Then you add the ironic name, Higgs Boson. A not yet proven atomic particle, that while based in science, is controversially named "the God Particle". Independent of this forum, your very Name represents a never ending circle of irony. Lastly, your quote at the bottom, taking the whole "who came first, the chicken or the egg? to a whole new level of complexity, importance and irony.

Like you said, this forum has no rule insisting on using your real name, or telling people who you are. But like I said before, I think it adds a level of personal responsibility that makes these controversial conversations so much more valuable than similar discussions on other boards that are just filled with many "anonymous" users.

We must have been posting at the same time Higgs, I think that proves that I am NOT Higgs Boson. LOL

I think I had already brought up the fact that posts have been edited, to remove parts that were directed and meant to aggravate other posters directly.

I do think it is ridiculing and disrespectful to say things like, "Ah, an educated fellow how refreshing." Again that only infers that up to that point, educated fellows were scarce in the conversation. Also calling peoples thoughts ridiculous, with no explanation as to why, that is ridiculing. It is derived from the same word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back