What do you think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I think it is a life, I do personally think that to cause of the life is not relevant... a life is a life. Because it may have happened by an awful means doesn't mean it is less of a life. If you feel it's a life at conception, I do not see how that belief can change based on terrible circumstances. Beyond tough as it may be, life isn't really supposed to be about easy answers and solutions.

Then I ask, what good was that little life, if the mother can handle it and kills her self either during or after pregnancy? Depression cant be treated during pregnancy, and let me tell you from experiance if you get depression or after pregnancy its much worse then under normal circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because someone may do something evil (for whatever reason) does not negate the validity of a life. A person may choose to infringe upon it, but that doesn't mean it had no importance in the first place.

Also, I have to imagine it would be a small fraction of women who whould choose to keep a baby who resulted from a rape and would then abuse the baby physically or emtionally.

Circumstances may motivate some peole do do wrong, but that does not excuse it or make it par for the course.

Countrymini....your story is the story of my best friend of childhood, we were inseperable for 20 years...I am going to post three links, one is her story thay was presented in the local paper, the next is letters to the editor and then the final is the editors response if anyone wants to read it.

http://old.post-gazette.com/columnists/20021215brianp2.asp

http://old.post-gazette.com/forum/letters/20021222iss1222p2.asp

http://old.post-gazette.com/columnists/20021219brian.asp

I do not know when life actually begins, I do not believe it is the instance that the fertilized egg attaches to the uterus....a fertilized egg can LIVE over a week in the tube before it even attaches to the uterus.

I was a volunteer at a rape crisis center for 3 years (it was not planned parenthood, they only had psychologists there who were also all volunteers). I only did administrative work...answering the phone, etc. I ended up being an ear for alot of women, it was an experience that shaped my view on abortion today...do I think abortion is taking a life? I am still on the fence (except late term abortion)...but I heard horror stories that I can remember word for word today and it was 20 years ago....many of those women had their lives taken away, some never do really recover...I would never want to see a rape victim forced to carry a fetus from a rapist.

Unless you have been brutally raped, you can never fully understand the hurt, fear, and anger that comes along with it. For women who are then forced into a pregnancy by their attacker, it is the equal to being victimized over and over again. It's bad enough that a knife, gun, or person who resembles the rapist, will always trigger both memories and terror. But then to have to look into the mirror daily and watch a belly as it grows, and remember exactly how that came to be? Rape victims suffer from feelings of belittlement, shame, and helplessness. Many take years to reach the point where they will feel somewhat safe again. It is a terrible thing for them to be asked to nurture a baby inside their body, when truthfully, they may be incapable of taking care of themselves in a healthy manner. There are so many variables that come into account when a woman's body is ripped away from her control. You never know how strong (or weak) you are, until you are placed into an unimaginable situation.

My point is that IF you think it's a life, then how does an experience negate the validity of that life? I don't see how it can, no matter how awful. But the key is IF you think it's already a life................

Countrymini....your story is the story of my best friend of childhood, we were inseperable for 20 years...I am going to post three links, one is her story thay was presented in the local paper, the next is letters to the editor and then the final is the editors response if anyone wants to read it.
Countrymini....your story is the story of my best friend of childhood, we were inseperable for 20 years...I am going to post three links, one is her story thay was presented in the local paper, the next is letters to the editor and then the final is the editors response if anyone wants to read it..
I'm sorry I got that story wrong, I thought it was two children. Also sorry for your loss of a friend
default_sad.png

Unless you have been brutally raped, you can never fully understand the hurt, fear, and anger that comes along with it. For women who are then forced into a pregnancy by their attacker, it is the equal to being victimized over and over again. It's bad enough that a knife, gun, or person who resembles the rapist, will always trigger both memories and terror. But then to have to look into the mirror daily and watch a belly as it grows, and remember exactly how that came to be? Rape victims suffer from feelings of belittlement, shame, and helplessness. Many take years to reach the point where they will feel somewhat safe again. It is a terrible thing for them to be asked to nurture a baby inside their body, when truthfully, they may be incapable of taking care of themselves in a healthy manner. There are so many variables that come into account when a woman's body is ripped away from her control. You never know how strong (or weak) you are, until you are placed into an unimaginable situation.
Dont think anybody is saying they shouldn't abort, its more about oppinions of people who think its morally ok to abort for these types of reasons and not for unplanned ones produced from consent. Only a rape victim can say how they feel about it, and it would be wrong to presume they could or couldn't handle it.

I do agree with Jill here. Obviously, if you think abortion is a moral option for a woman, you can justify each circumstance as you may without sounding hypocritical.

But again, there's this pocket of people who will claim that they don't agree with abortion because it's killing a life. THEN they turn around and say EXCEPT on the case of rape. My point, if you believe it's a life, it is. Whether you planned it, were raped, or abducted by aliens and impregnated. No matter what, it's a life. You can't reasonably and soundly claim to be morally against it and then start making a list of exceptions.

Circumstances may motivate some peole do do wrong, but that does not excuse it or make it par for the course.
Jill, to some people, the CHOICE that they make to have an abortion, may not be "wrong" to them, just because it seems wrong to you.

Jill, to some people, the CHOICE that they make to have an abortion, may not be "wrong" to them, just because it seems wrong to you.
Extremely well said.

Again, this is a no-brainer for me. Unless the issue touches specifically on my person I have no right to judge or tell another woman whether she can have or can't have an abortion. This should be between her doctor, herself and God (if she believes in a higher power). I am not the one who will have to live with the consequences of not having an abortion or having an abortion should they find themselves in such a situation where they are contemplating this choice.

I find it interesting that many who believe that abortion should never be an option, in any case whatsoever, are often the ones that complain about single mothers who become unable, for whatever reason, to be able to provide for their child properly and view that these individuals are a burden on society when they must seek out government run or state run programs in order to be able to raise the child or children. Sometimes an unwanted child becomes a neglected child, a murdered child, etc.

Clearly, Mona and Danielle, you didn't follow what my quote was actually in response to, nor did you take it in context.

It was in response to Ashley saying a mother might kill or abuse a CHILD that resulted from rape. My quoted remark was not in fact about abortion.

Matt's comment re: a baby or fetus havibg a soull...when does the soul enter the body? At conception...or birth?

I know someone who was pregnant when she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Doctors wanted her to abort the baby and take treatments but she refused. Her baby girl was delivered and then she was treated for her cancer. By then it was too late and she passed away, leaving her husband to raise their family, including that new baby. Husband was very resentful of the baby--he blamed her for his wife's death and could not bring himself to have anything to do with her. Very sad, since his wife had wanted that child to live and sacrificed her own life so that she would. Family raised the baby for the most part.

Back