Frustrating fact...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alongman

Reaction score
I added this in response to another posting, but felt it deserved its' own.

Number of states in the US that allow gay marriage - 5 (not including the District of Columbia)

Number of states that all FIRST cousins to marry - 26

Does anyone wonder why there are some problems in the US?

I am a conservative who is in favor of equal rights for all committed couples and given my profession, I think I know some benefits of marriage that may not be readily apparent to all people. HOWEVER, I do not understand why gay rights seem to be "the" issue with so many people who are gay. Maybe I cannot understand, since I am not gay. Things like National Security and the economy are pretty high up on my list and impact us all regardless of sexual orientation. It almost feels like one more divider. Our president's on going class and racial warfare, the liberal media bias, and the ignorance of the Occupy movement, ETC. are just really adding up and creating an atmosphere of us vs. them (whoever us / them may be depends on who you ask) and that was not the case a few years ago. I think race, sexual and class relations have had a huge setback in recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a conservative who is in favor of equal rights for all committed couples and given my profession, I think I know some benefits of marriage that may not be readily apparent to all people. HOWEVER, I do not understand why gay rights seem to be "the" issue with so many people who are gay. Maybe I cannot understand, since I am not gay. Things like National Security and the economy are pretty high up on my list and impact us all regardless of sexual preference. It almost feels like one more divider. Our president's on going class and racial warfare, the liberal media bias, and the ignorance of the Occupy movement, ETC. are just really adding up and creating an atmosphere of us vs. them (whoever us / them may be depends on who you ask) and that was not the case a few years ago. I think race, sexual and class relations have had a huge setback in recent years.
Jill I definitely agree with you that there are much larger issues that are facing our country than THIS one, but it is a BIG one to the people who live it daily. The fact that my partner cannot, at some places of employment, be recognized nor included on my insurance (forcing separate insurance plans); the fact that in the state in which I live a gay couple cannot adopt a child - they must be adopted by one or the other parent and even then via private adoption agencies, not the public adoption agencies; the fact that if my partner were injured or ill and not able to make medical decisions for himself, his family could PREVENT me from seeing or being included in those decision; the fact that we pay additional taxes to the government (as again, we have to file separately as opposed to as a couple) to fund some of the other happenings in this world. I could go on and on.

My point is this, eliminate this "divider". Let all people really be able to experience the joys of both marriage (and unfortunately divorce) in a legal sense. Maybe the country would be less divided and we could all rally behind a leader if the leaders themselves were not dividing their potential support.

Edited to add: I think each of us picks our "issue" to stand on a soapbox about. The gay community, as a whole, I think IS concerned about other issues as well. When candidates debate my sexuality and it's ethicality and legality, then it is our politicians who are putting this issue fore-front when in reality, equal should be equal.

Burn away.....
default_smile.png

I am with you 100% Adam! I always tell my very conservative anti gay marriage boyfriend, if he would mind his own business, it wouldn't even be a problem. If God has a problem with it, let God deal with it when those people pass. It is none of his business as it does not hurt him or others. I think gay couples should have every single right that a heterosexual couple should have. I have had many arguments with people, so you can flame me all you want, but I have heard all of the reasonings behind why an anti gay marriage person feels the way they feel, and I still don't get it. Actually, I think they don't get it, but that's just me and you can take my 'as liberal as they come' views as you like
default_smile.png

And here is a speech that everyone should listen to (at the bottom of the page)

http://m.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/12/watch-hillary-clintons-speech-declaring-gay-rights-are-human-rights/45842/

First cousins = man and woman. To me that doesn't compare with gay marriage the way you're comparing it. They are not in the same category--in my head. My head can do funny things though.
default_wink.png

The fact that people are ok with an incestual marriage, but not ok with gay marriage is the point, and I think it's a really good one.

The fact that people are ok with an incestual marriage, but not ok with gay marriage is the point, and I think it's a really good one.
Right! Maybe some people took the phrase "Love thy Brother" too literally.........

I fully agree and find it shameful totally shameful.

I worked in a grocery store where the Floral Manager was a gay man. He wore the wackiest hats for holidays, especially Christmas. One day he had a heart attack at work and his partner of 30 years(!) wasn't allowed to visit him in ICU because he wasn't "family". He died that day and a few days later his partner took his own life. I am for gay marriage, gay rights, but I may not see it here in NE for a very long time. I hope my gay brother moves to a state that recognizes gay people as equal to straight folks under the law.

Adam you just need to find a female to help you out, then whoever isnt the biological father can do a second parent adoptsion. It runs about 1800 as of two years ago.

All things aside I have to agree with you.

A lot of straight people (not all...just to clarify) "see" gay people fight for rights as if we should get "special" rights, when that is not the case at all. We just want the SAME rights of marriage as heterosexual couples have...nothing more.

Oregon (where Deb and I became legal "domestic partners") is close, but not quite in giving those rights to gay couples. I just wish that the rights (LEGALLY) we have there would transfer over so to speak to Florida where we now live, but they don't, so basically what we have is a useless piece of paper as far as Florida is concerned. Like ErikaS said above, if one of us were to be in the hospital and not be able to voice our desire to have our partner visit, the hospital could keep our partner away.

I feel like Deb and I are more married than a lot of "legally" married people are...

The whole "man and woman" thing doesn't even fly for me, since many married straight couple choose not to have children...so getting married wasn't about "procreation".

OK, off my soap box for now...
default_1857272.gif

Edited to add...

(Got off my soap box rather abruptly earlier, because there was a loose horse...not mine...outside that I needed to help catch...
default_new_shocked.gif
lol)

I think people so have the benefits that man and women get. If god had a problem then he wouldn't let it cross our minds that we could be gay.

Smh one small thing that could be given to the people and on to more things.

Funny no one seems to have a problem with serial killers , petifiles, rapists all getting married while in jail convicted of these crimes and having legal rights

kinda a sad state for our country when we feel loving same sex couples are somehow not god worthy of marriage but some piece of garbage who killed people, raped children or brutalized victims somehow is.. and that them getting married does not do anything to hurt the sanctity of marriage... it is all like some sick sad joke

LindaL.....I understand what you are saying about Florida not recognizing a piece of paper from Oregon. I am straight but I have some very good friends who are not. Some day there will probably be more rights for gay partners. Until then could there be some legal form drawn up by an attorney to at least give one the permission to act on behalf of the other partner as "family" so they couldn't be denied visitation at the hospital etc? Also, designated to arrange funeral when the time came.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back