Foundered laminitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angie, I really would like to hear how he is doing. And how you are doing after a busy weekend of keeping your baby comfortable. Hugs!!!

Barb

Hello-

Peanut is doing better, he is a lot less painful. Cold water soaks on those feet do wonders. He started feeling so well last evening that he started to get bored in his stall. knocking water over banging it against the stall, it sounds like he is playing the drums in there.....at midnight. I went out and gave him an extra little shot of banamine to calm him down, just in case he was more painful than he had been( don't worry, I had already cut back this week on the pain med so upping one little dose isn't going to hurt him!). He is taking all his meds really well. I haven't taken him out of the stall, it's killing me I want to give him a short walk so bad, but don't think it's time to yet. Worse than that, I feel awful at feed time when everyone else gets some and he only gets hay, poor guy. We are more or less in a wait and see phase till he is done with his meds and can get an x-ray later this month. I believe he starting to thinking he is a pampered princess as I was sitting in the stall with him, he looked at the water bucket and shook is head up and down, and I ran over got the bucket and put it right under him so that he could drink. Who's training who here?

As for the vet issue, yes I was pretty frustrated with his vet that I called fri night. I have had my horses 5 years now, and even though none of them have ever had colic I knew that wasn't what was wrong with Peanut. The vet basically blew me off for the 4th of July weekend. When he told me to walk him, I knew not to. I hosed him down, stalled him. When the idiotic neighbors tried to walk him the next morning while I was trying to get his trailer ready, I got into it with them. There's was no doubt in my mind it was his feet or joints, not a belly ache gone bad. When the second vet on the phone said he couldn't come out, me and my daughter rode in the back in the trailer to take him to the vet so he had some support. (by the way, ride in the back of a trailer some day, wowo, you will drive differently after you see how it feels back there!) I had to give up boating all weekend *sigh* to take care of Peanut which was pretty much a round the clock affair this weekend. His meds all had to be given at different times and to make sure he was hydrated was quite the work out this weekend!

I'm just trying to say I do the best I can-the vet did the best he could and still get on that plane for the bahamas,-and you all do the best you can giving advice and I appreciate it.

As for the judgemental people I don't know what you think you gain from being so mouthy on here, it's not the best way to make friends or live your life. You can secretly think whatever you want about me, but really?? to make feel like the worst horse owner in the world just isn't why this forum was created.

One last thing, we have a 9 week old filly in the barn now and I'm pretty sure she is the unlatcher. That's why it had never happened before, she wasn't around. I put a new super duper latch on it yesterday and last evening she was working on it like a rubics cube. I guess I'll give up and get a lock with key, it's just such a pain!

Have a great week everyone, even the grumpies out there. Keep that grain bin put up and give your mini's a hug from Indiana.

Good for you! I am sending hugs and prayers for Peanut, he sounds like a real cutie. I bought my yearling a ball to play with as he gets bored and literaly throws his water bucket around, maybe Peanut needs a toy?

So glad to here that Peanut is doing better
default_saludando.gif
. Sometimes it does feel like our chips are training us. Loved your story.
default_wub.png
Thank you for sharing it with us. Hugs and prayers going your way for Peanut and you.

I am so glad he is doing better! I hope that the xrays turn out well for him. Thanks for the update. Hugs!!

Barb

Great news!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

So glad that Peanut is improving - love your story about him demanding his water bucket! LOL!! I have a few like that, even if they are not feeling ill!

Thanks for the update, please continue to let us know how he get's on.
default_yes.gif

Anna

I'm glad to hear your guy is doing better. One thing you have going for you is that it is an acute rather than chronic problem. Most horses develop problems over time by repeatedly being exposed to what makes them founder in the first place. One thing that I might suggest is putting up a small pen where he can see or be near the other horses so he isn't couped up all the time and dig it out and make a mud hole for him to stand in. I am talking about a pen small enough to just make a mud hole, not so he can run around. Nice cool mud is as effective as icing his feet several times and less labor intensive.

Michelle is a wealth of information and we talk for hours throwing things back and forth. I am familiar with Woody and was there when the vet was out and he is a sad case. He has been very bad but with proper management and trimming, has made a huge difference.

As the saying goes, S**T Happens, you fill in the blanks. The best management in the world can't prevent things from happening when you have a determined horse. The more you try to make the safest place in the world for them, they find something else to get into. I can pretty much guarantee that every single person on this forum has had some event happen that was unforeseen. We would all do well to remember that.

So glad he is feeling better.
default_wub.png

No matter what the x-rays show don't despair. If this is his first founder episode he should fully recover. ''Rotated'' pedal bones can be rehabilitated especially if you have a barefoot farrier
default_wub.png
who actually knows what he/she is doing.

Our local barefoot farrier (a young, small woman) is an expert on founder....... prevention, rehabilitation etc. Knows way more than the vets around here. All they would do is prescribe bute, take x-rays and charge a fortune for their trouble.

You'll get him through this.
default_aktion033.gif

I have heard that 4-6 inches of pea gravel in a paddock can support the sole and flex when they walk and provide some comfort to the foundered horse. I haven't tried it for founder but you can google it to see if it would help. Only one of my minis gets limited grass, the other two get none and they get remission daily.. They are of the body type that would be a great founder risk if allowed on grass. I use the pea gravel paddocks for turn out and love it and they stay nice and clean too. Turn out on grass is always in muzzles.

I highly recommend the padded boots Kim of crayonbox miniatures mentioned. She had good luck with those boots and they can help prevent post founder pain..

Glad Peanut is doing better. Remember the fly spray, stomping hurts, and also you might consider using probiotics while you are using pain meds. good luck and I hope you continue to have improvement with your horse.

Yeah for Peanut and you!! Good job momma taking care of your boy! Yup, that cold water therapy gives them such immediate relief. Feels so good to those hot little feet. I will continue to pray for the little guy in hope of a complete recovery!

At 1pm yesterday Peanut was still doing alright. He was still agitated and messing with his water bucket, but still looked like he was on the up and up. 5pm rolls around I go to give him his medicine and he had died. So so heartbreaking.

• He had taken his last dose of gut medicine the night before.I wonder if it was keeping his belly comfortable, then the bucket banging started at midnight, maybe it wasn't boredom but in pain?

• Could he have died of colic a week after eating all that grain? He's been having regular bowel movements, only eating hay.

• Can they just die from the infection even after it has started to be controlled with antibiotics?
Just makes no since to me that he was just dead that quick with no signs like when he first got sick last week.

I'd like to get a little input from everyone that is knows a little about this stuff because I called my vet this morning, but of course he is 'out' and can't be disturbed today. Really? The other horse vet in town is out of the country, so I guess if you have a horse emergency in the tristate area you are in big troubles.

So it's a sad morning, I didn't even go out and see my baby Nina because Peanut is still in his stall. The guys had a pretty good hole started last night, then it rained so hard we got 2.08 inches in a 3 hour stretch. I guess they'll get him in the ground today. Only other option was to put him in the back pasture and wait for some place to come pick him up on August 8th. NOT!! This town just isn't a very equine friendly place I'm learning.

I never imagined it would hurt this bad loosing horses. Here's a pic of Peanut, he was a silver dapple. Such a handsome guy. (sigh)

1309959263.jpg

I am soooo sorry for you and Peanut. I don't have any answers for you like others surely can with experience about this, I would only have assumptions. You were there for the little guy and cared for him your very best, that matters the most. Giving you big hugs. I really am sorry you had to go through this.

:CryBabyI am so very sorry for your loss
default_crybaby.gif
. He was a beautiful little guy. At least he is no longer in pain. {{{{{{{Hugs }}}}}} to you. wish I could do more. Just know that you did all you could.

To the OP: sorry you had to go through this. Laminitis is a horror movie.

To all equine enthusiasts after reading some of these posts slamming the vet: We have a number of veterinarian friends. A lot just don't want to deal with horses. Actually, a lot of them don't want to deal with horse people. There are a number of things you can do to prevent this: (I don't know the OP or the circumstances, but I do know what our vet friends have told us about their practices and the people they deal with.)

#1 - PAY THE BILL! (enough said.)

#2 - Have your horses in (caught) with a halter on (not a rope training halter) and somewhat clean before the vet gets there. One friend told us that he showed up at a farm and was expected to go catch a muddy horse to treat it. Needless to say, he told them to call him when they caught it. Red flag on that owner for next time!

#3 - Don't expect the vet to work with a horse that you haven't worked with. You can "hog-tie" cattle and other animals to restrain them. You can't do that well with horses. Vets don't want to walk into a barn and leave on a stretcher. Get all your horses to lead, tie, stand, etc.

#4 - Have a clean, dry place (preferrably covered) for the vet to work with your horse. The muddy paddock is not the most hospitable work environment.

#5 - Don't try to be "right" and argue with the vet about it. Eventually they decide they are "too busy" to deal with you. I know people who consistently have a problem getting a vet to come out because the vets are tired of trying to convince that person of the real problem.

#6 - Have your medical records in order for the patient. Don't waste the vet's time looking for paperwork that you could had out before he got there. Know the last time the horse was vaccinated, dewormed, trimmed, feed changed, etc.

#7 - Offer the vet a cold drink on a hot day or a warm one on a cold day. Hospitality goes a LONG way to get good service, even if they don't take it!

If all of us would follow these few simple suggestions, we would have less vets unwilling to put the time and energy into horse people.
default_yes.gif
"Burn me once with horse people, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me!" You sure don't want to be one of those "red flag" people who the vets talk about over a beer! "I had this client once who....."

I am so shocked to wake up and read this today. I AM SO SORRY!

I have no idea what could have caused this but a couple things come to mind: You mentioned he was "playing" with his water bucket on more than one occasion. I've had that happen and take that as a sign of a lot of pain when they basically splash around in the water bucket with their face but don't actually drink. I also think it is very possible that he coliced and twisted an intestine. That could have been the bucket banging you heard. Without having a necropsy's done, you'll never really know what happened and a lot of necropsy come back as "inconclusive". It will really do no good to try and figure this all out. Anything could have gone wrong.

Again my condolences on you loss.

It's unfortunate that people make the vets job harder, but *tough luck* it's their job. They went through enough at vet school to know that it's a dirty hard difficult dangerous job. Now that they are established they can pick and choose who they want and that's just not right. I am a dog groomer and I have those same stories. I on the other hand have a different theory. Even though I don't want to do the dog again if it's one of those horror dog owners, I go ahead and 'do my job.' I might be the only one that whole year who gives a rat's butt about that dog and I'm going to clean it up even and give a kind gentle word. The vet is not there for the owner, he didn't go to school to learn what people to avoid. He went to take care of animals whether it be a good animal bad animal, and it's not the darn animal's fault his owner is less than worthy of the beautiful creature. If he wants to vent over a beer that's fine, if he want's to blast them on facebook fine, but it's still his duty to take care of alllllll the animals brought to him. Shame on a vet for picking and choosing who might be worthy of his care. I know you weren't insinuating that I'm a bad horse owner, but it struck a nerve anyway. I don't think the vet is putting me off today, I think he's at a barn gelding several horses. He'll call later, it's just frustrating to wait when I'd like his opinion.

I am so sorry for your loss of Peanut. I wish I had an answer for you. You took the very best of care of him. Hugs.

Barb

Side note to RhineStone. Next time you want to share some advise like that, start a thread. That was horribly insensitive to post that here especially on the day she lost her beloved Peanut.

So heartbreaking - so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss!!! so sad.
default_no.gif
I was hoping for a happy ending. He was a beautiful little horse and I know how much you loved him.

When my boy foundered he was improving day by day . On the last day he was hanging around and messing with the water bucket in the morning, 6 hours later he had a foul smell coming out of his mouth and ulcers on his tongue. The vet came out and said he had bute toxicity and that it could move that quickly. We put him down, but she said that he would have died on his own in an hour, so had I not found him when I did and had that diagnosis from the vet, I too would have wondered what killed my pony. I am not saying your mini had bute toxicity, but mentioning so you can have peace and know that even when you are doing the best by your horse, things can just happen in the blink of an eye and I don't want you to beat yourself up like I did with my pony trying to figure out if you could have done anything different to offset the tragic outcome...

I am sure you didn't miss anything and it sounds like he just spiraled out of control...things can come on that fast and surprize the heck out of you. Sometimes these little guys can be so tough and sometimes they can be as fragile as a butterfly given the right circumstances. Peace to you, you really did your best and I am so sorry you lost your boy. hugs from Adair

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back