Foundered laminitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always always have a vet out immediately if a horse gets into grain. This happened to me my first year in minis and we lost one. 2 survived but only because the vet came and oiled them, medicated them etc. Never never wait.

I am sorry. Our aged pony she is about 25-28 or so foundered at Christmas. First time ever- did not get into anything vet said sometimes metobolic changes in older horses can cause it.

Anyway she was dead lame and so sore it was horrible to watch. I had to bute her for longer then I had intended and gave her gastrogaurd. Farrier could not do much at that point as there was no way she could lift one foot and support herself. We had to wait it out. Seemed like forever but about 18 days later she was sound again and has been ever since. We made some slight changes to her diet and she has not taken a bad step since. Now I realize it can come back and each time it can cause more long term damage but wanted you to know while serious - it does not always equal tragedy.

I know of several options that my current vet did as preventative when my horses got out on spring grass a couple of years ago. I do believe that immediate treatment can help make a bad situation from getting much worse. If the vet won't come, call until you find one that will.

Some just spiral out of control even when you do have the vet on board from the onset.

It will be a long road ahead in the best of circumstances for your baby, especially if major rotation has occured from full blown founder. The pressure can rotate the bone right through the sole of the foot. In the best case senarios with little or known rotation, it is still a long road.

If you are treating for pain you will also be wanting to treat to prevent ulcers. Watch the dose on the bute if you are using that to control inflamation and pain. My former vet gave a pony of mine a very high dose of bute to control the pain. The pony did have less pain, but got bute toxicicity and had to be put to sleep. It was very traumatic for me and my children to be rounding the corner on the founder and to lose the pony to the bute, 1 gram doses is too much bute for a 10 hand pony. I questioned it at the time and I was assured that she had given that dose many times before with excellent results.
default_no.gif
It was awhile back, but seems like yesterday and will be with me for a long time to come.

good luck and best wishes. Stay strong and do what is best for your little horse. I hope your horse gets better real fast. Get those feet padded. If you do ice water soaks, put in the cold water and add the ice after the feet are in the water. dry paddock.. I keep my horse feed at my house. Hind site is always 20-20 though, I put extra chains on my gates after my guys escaped and ate that spring grass. I never thought I had a system they could get out of until it happened.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, with all the discussions, I don't think that we have heard how he is doing. How is it going? I have been thinking of you and hope that he is doing better with the pain.

Barb

He said, "Preventing complications from grain overload is far better than trying to treat them." That's what I was responding to.

I also agree that the vet could have taken more immediate measures to prevent founder from developing and in relieving the immediate pain from the laminitis.

I guess we are reading his quote two different ways.
wink.gif

Royal Crescent said:
Hey, with all the discussions, I don't think that we have heard how he is doing. How is it going? I have been thinking of you and hope that he is doing better with the pain. Barb
Yes, I've been wondering too!

Please understand that no one here is critizing you for how you handled it or for what happened. You did your best by your baby, called the vet, and did everything you knew to do.
default_yes.gif
We just get going on these discussions sometimes in hopes that other people will learn what to do if it ever happens to them.

As others have also said, while laminitis and founder are very serious conditions horses CAN come back from it just fine and hopefully yours will be one of those with the diligent care I know you're providing. Our prayers are with you and your little guy.

Leia

I have rescued horse with founder of almost full rotation and learned proper trimming techniques and certain feed and feed additives that have made great improvements in these horses almost being back to normal. www.hoofrehab.com, www.safergrass.org, www.theextrascoop.com (I have had great success using Karbo Combo for founder, severe crippling thrush, and other problems that came with the horses I brought home) Karbo Combo is an additive that research has proven can absorb and help prevent furthur laminitic attacks. While researching laminitis and founder, you will need to learn how to feed in the future. There is a lot of information out there for you.

she said, "We took him to the vet" so I think you need to stop with, "she should have had the vet out"..
default_nono.gif
...she went to the vet, and came back with many other things to treat her horse.

I want to also say that my best friend had let her young gelding get too fat and he foundered on all four. His rotaion was almost all the way around. During his recovery time, she of course put in on a dry lot and restricted his feed. Every month for 1+ year the horseshoer would come and put heart bar shoes on his feet. He grew new feet, everyone was amazed and he was sound as a dollar! Cost her a bundle of money to fix him! She sold him to a young girl for a show horse and he spent many, many years competing in the show ring and winning
default_aktion033.gif

so happy endings came happen..have Faith
default_yes.gif

Blessings,

Jenny

she said, "We took him to the vet" so I think you need to stop with, "she should have had the vet out"..
default_nono.gif
...she went to the vet, and came back with many other things to treat her horse.

No, she took him to the vet TWO DAYS later.

Yesterday morning he was a sad horse thought he had colic, called vet he said as long as he is eating and drinking and not down he was probably working it out. This morning he could barely walk, breathing heavily, still would eat and drink, but he was miserable.

Her vet dropped the ball. If he had gone in as soon as she found him, he could have been oiled and iced and may not have foundered. We found three of our mares in the feed room and immediately ran them down to our vet last summer. They were tubed and have their stomaches emptied, then oiled and spent the night there in ice boots. NONE foundered.

I'm sorry, I hope he gets well for you.

I agree with you, the original poster thought her horse had colic and called her vet - HE is the one with the knowledge and having been told what had happened, HE should have come straight out!

We are all experienced horse/mini owners and realise the danger of a horse getting into a feed bin, plus the need for immediate action, but we do not know this poster, she may be a more novice owner and I can understand her waiting until morning in the hope that the horse might be ok. Also she doesn't know us lot well so she will not perhaps realise (just as Leia has said) that we use/take advantage of topics like hers to discuss things/put forward ideas/learn so much from, that at times we seem a little over the top in our reactions/replies, without meaning to?

I really hope her little chap is progressing well and that we will soon have some news from her.

Anna

I can't speak for Dr. Taylor, but I'm sure he's referring to the fact that if the feed had not been accessible to the horse then it wouldn't have gotten into it in the first place. That is the way this could have been prevented. A vet can 't do anything to prevent laminitis. It has to be done by the owners being educated and aware.
Well we have locking latch on the gate. The horses figured out how to unlatch it for the first time ever. It's not like I just left the bag out for them, so don't act like I'm the worst person ever. It must be nice to be perfect like you.

How is your little guy doing? I had a horse founder with laminitis on front feet with rotation. She had a bad stifle also. It took 4 vets before I got proper exrays. The first 2 vets didin't feel exrays were needed. Just felt her feet and said she had cushings, which they wanted treated. My horse suffered greatly because of 3 dropping the ball. My horse lost her battle when her stifle gave out completely. Hope you have better luck. If your gut instinct tells you to get a second, third or in my case a fourth opinion do it. And good luck,

I think someone needs to take reading interpretation classes. I am not speaking for Dr. Taylor, but he clearly was referring to the veterinarian's role in having a case such as this presented to them on the phone. They did not give the horse owner enough serious responses to take PREVENTIVE medical courses to help stop further damage to this poor horse. He in no way was trying to tell the owner they didn't do enough to prevent this horse from consuming an overload of grain. How was the vet to know what really happened? And if one had the guts to accuse most horse owners of incompetent care, they would not have much of a business.

You have no right to bash this poster. You don't live on her property to see how she care takes her horses. Seems to me to be a responsible caring owner. I agree, it must be nice to be perfect.

Angie I am sorry for some of the responses you have received on this thread.

No one ever wants their horse to get into the grain and I and many others have had this happen. Mine was behind a locked door that was only 2x2 and how they managed to squeeze in there to get grain we still do not have a clue. Like yours mine figured out the lock plus squeezed thru a tiny opening.

A vet can 't do anything to prevent laminitis.
Because mine got such fast vet care they did not get laminitis. It was touch and go and I have no doubt that without my vets quick response they would have ended up with laminitis or dead.

I have never talked to or seen the "perfect" horse owner yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been dealing with a chronic founder case for the past year. We actually thought Woody wasn't going to pull out of it, and were making plans for his 'trip'. He's one of our original Minis (now 12), so it's even worst emotionally thinking he wasn't going to be with us much longer.

The last visit the farrier said he's finally getting some improvement. The vets have checked - not Cushings, etc., he's just a management issue. They recommended soaking his hay and limiting any grazing to the evening when there are less sugars in the grass.

Here's a link to his hoof trimming we did recently - you can see the founder problems (white line) and were it's finally improving.

Best of luck with you guy, it's awful when they're sick.

Angiestan,

Please don't take any of the responses to your post personally
default_no.gif
. They are not intended to be critical of you or the wonderful care you give your horses.

I am new to the wonderful world of minis and have learned tons of great information from members of this forum. I am still learning even from this thread. The lord has been really watching over me and my minis, because I do not keep my

grain very far from them and it's not behind a locked door. I'll be rearranging things now.

How is your little guy? Is he doing better? {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} Will be keeping you and your little guy in my prayers. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Great photos Michelle, thanks for sharing. I am glad he is making progress.

Great photos, Michelle, on separation. Thanks for sharing.

I struggled for 2 years with my Cushings mare who foundered. It was a long road to recovery and I wish you the best with your little one. Horseshoes.com has some wonderful farriers that may be able to help you if you so desire.

Best,

Liz

Some of what I have read here is not very welcoming to a new poster. The OP came here to explain what happened and could use a little moral support and wellness wishes for her little guy.

This could and has happened to a lot of people.From what she told her vet sounded like a colic that was already on the mend with him eating and pooping. She called it wrong as a newbie who never heard of founder would but she did take him onto the vet when she saw him in dire straights right away; got meds and then came here to tell her story and learned from it too. She also told she was moving the food to a safer place. Yes damage is done and founder is bad but she is trying her best to help her horse. I have read a whole lot of complete irresponsibility on this forum over the years and this is not one of them.

Come on people! Be nice! That's all I'm saying.

Latest posts

Back