Founder and ponies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdancer777

Reaction score
I am in the market for a first time riding pony for my daughter, I have run across a pony mare that seems to fit the bill, but I'm hesitant because she has foundered in the past. I have never had any dealings with founder so I thought I'd ask out there for input from others. Could she/would she be an ok riding pony, no hard riding, just a beginner/learner pony. I feed hay year round and have very limited pasture that I use for my mini mares/foals so she would not be on that. Any info would be appreciated so I can make an informed decision on this little gal.

Thanks!

Not a pony, but I have a miniature that has foundered in the past. She is a perfectly normal horse, out on pasture, sweet grain, alfalfa, she drives, and she has foaled. Eversince she foundered she has never been sick or had difficulty foaling or taking care of a baby. She was treated right away.

I would ask how the pony is doing now, how was it treated and how fast. If it was treated right away than its probably alright.

honestly i would keep looking for another pony. I have had a couple rescues here with a history of founder and its HEARTBREAKING!! You never know when its going to rear its ugly head again and you never know when the next episode will be the last episode. Also i dont belive in riding foundered horses. If you just wanted a pasture pet i think its ok if the founder isnt too far gone but not for a riding pony.

I'm battling it at this very moment with the rescue pony...I never imagined that I'd make her laminitic by trying to get her some meat on her bones! Has the pony actually foundered? I've learned that many people use the words interchangably, but they are not the same. The pony who has foundered has had lamanitis - but a lamanitic pony has not necassrily foundered.

I think the bottom line is that ponies are prone no matter what -- so simply purchasing a pony your chances of dealing with lamanitis are higher. Can you get a prepurchase exam and radiographs?

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Is that your daughter in your avatar? She is adorable.

Do you know why this mare foundered? Was it due to Grass, grain, illness, injury, excess water when hot, tauma, or some combination or ? And do you know how long ago it has been since she foundered? and has she only foundered once? In general any foundered horse/pony is "very" prone to re-foundering and thus it becomes a lifetime condition and then sometimes they can re-founder for what seems no reason - In otherwords, nothing that you can point to - same grain, same type of grain, no illness, no changes and they founder again. Trying to locate a farrier who can deal with a pony who has foundered can be a challenge sometimes.

If you were writing and asking about this great broodmare prospect you were wanting to purchase who had foundered once several years ago due to illness or injury and her price was reasonable - without hesitation - I'd say - take a chance.

Given that you are looking for that special companion for your daughter to ride and enjoy, my advise would be to continue your search.

Thanks for all your replys, It has given me much more to go on and ask about the pony. My main concern would be that she would have to be put down or we would have to put so much money into her that would not make this "good deal" so good. I'd hate to buy her and have my daughter grow attached and then loose her. If any of you know of a good pony that is broke, or old enough to be broke, please feel free to pm me. We don't have tons of money to spend, but are willing to pay for the right one or willing to trade maybe some mini's for one. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back