For those with a horse that competes in both

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
I've been back to work with my stallion, since his winter layup after a bad trim. We've been working on in hand and jumping. Today when we went to work I started thinking. It must be hard for him to figure out what style we're working on.

Are we working on a nice even pace and scoopy jump, or are we flying at the jumps looking for speed and height? I try to make my attitude different when working on them. I'm calm, slow, and quiet when when work on hunter. And excited, energized, and I talk more when working on jumper. I'm sure that there is more that I could do, but I'm all out of ideas.

Any advice on what else I can do to make sure that he clearly understands which type we are currently working on?

Raven does the hunter/jumper courses here cause I really am not a runner LOL but she just trots her hunter courses and canters the jumper courses the horse seems to under stand the difference that way

When I was doing both with Pearl I also did the trot in hunter and lope or canter through jumper, but this year my stallion is old enough so he is taking over jumper since he just flies over the jumps and pearl will only do hunter since she excels at that. I find that some horses are better at one or the other, some of my horses just jump better when at a fast or slow pace and if I try to go at the other with them they dont enjoy it as much. Not saying they cant do both but they are likely to do better in one or the other, whichever they enjoy more.

I do both but only Golden Age in jumper as I'm the one who can't run - therefore my horse loses. But for the Hunter I keep her on a shorter lead ( I mean I don't let her get too far from me) and after a jump I'll tell her Trot. In Jumper I give her as much lead as she wants and just hope to keep up. She really needs to be shown in AMHA as that is really JUMPING competition instead of running. She flies over the jumps and she seems to like it.

I would cough up a lung triyng to do a Jumper class. Hunter is going to ba bad enough. Good luck in your Jumper classes.

She really needs to be shown in AMHA as that is really JUMPING competition instead of running. She flies over the jumps and she seems to like it.
I beg to differ about AMHA being "really JUMPER competition ..."

AMHR Jumper is more than just running. I'm older than I want to be, fatter than I should be and not nearly as fast as I once was, yet I have had some success in Jumper because my family and I spend a lot of time working with our horses and training them to pivot and reduce the length of the jump course. We haven't been successful because we can run. We've been successful because of strategy and practice.

While I respect the AMHA jumpers -- some of those minis can soar -- I prefer the synergy between exhibitor and horse in the AMHR style of Jumper. I have seen AMHA exhibitors walk their horse to the jump, let the horse jump. then walk to the next jump and repeat the process. The horse does most of the work. I like a Jumper class where both the horse and exhibitor work in tandem.

But maybe that's just me.

She really needs to be shown in AMHA as that is really JUMPING competition instead of running. She flies over the jumps and she seems to like it.
I beg to differ about AMHA being "really JUMPER competition ..."

AMHR Jumper is more than just running. I'm older than I want to be, fatter than I should be and not nearly as fast as I once was, yet I have had some success in Jumper because my family and I spend a lot of time working with our horses and training them to pivot and reduce the length of the jump course. We haven't been successful because we can run. We've been successful because of strategy and practice.

While I respect the AMHA jumpers -- some of those minis can soar -- I prefer the synergy between exhibitor and horse in the AMHR style of Jumper. I have seen AMHA exhibitors walk their horse to the jump, let the horse jump. then walk to the next jump and repeat the process. The horse does most of the work. I like a Jumper class where both the horse and exhibitor work in tandem.

But maybe that's just me.
It's just you Bob
default_whistling.gif
I've seen you and your family do this. If I worked that hard in that class, they for sure would need the EMTs waiting for me at the end -that is if I made it to the end.

Just for the record ...

Sandee does a wonderful job jumping the AMHR style, much better than she gives herself credit for doing.

Back