For those who followed Jedi's progress last summer....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been on here, I came on a couple weeks ago to post an update but couldn't do it. Some of you were following Jedi's progress last year after he fractured his tibia in June. He's a tough little guy and at first even with his severe injury he had a great attitude and only intermittent lameness. He was put on stall rest and meds and we monitored his progress through x-rays and exams. He seemed to be doing much much better for awhile, probably thanks to the meds and strict rest. However, he started going downhill again, his lameness was worse and his range of motion was decreasing. We scheduled more x-rays and then time the vet was able to get a pelvis shot with a different x-ray machine. It showed he had damage to his hip joint as well and he was also very suspicious of something going on down low, near his hoof because we nerve blocked his pastern and he showed slight improvement when putting his foot down.

Anyway, it's a long drawn out story but based on the final films and his deteriorating condition the vet and my husband (a small animal vet) finally convinced me we had done all we could for Jedi. We put him down the week before last. The necropsy showed there was nothing we could do, he had a non-healing femoral head break (hip joint) and a small but non-healing coffin bone break in addition to the tibia fracture we had already found. The tibial fracture was actually healing really well, if that had been his only problem his outlook would have been good. I just wanted you guys to know - a lot of you were so supportive last year when I was freaking out over all this and you all helped me greatly
default_wub.png

I do plan on being back on the boards now. Hopefully concentrating on my other horses and everything exciting you guys have going on here will help me get past this.

The last picture I have of us together

Jedi_1_6_09.jpg

Jedi last summer

Jedi_fronthead_8_17_08.jpg

Blessings and prayers for your pain. I could see it in the picture.

You did the right thing to keep him from suffering.

Keep your chin up, you did all you could ~S~

Hi

Oh gosh, I was just thinking of you a few minutes ago~! I am so sorry you had to go through this, but know that you did all you could do for him and now he is in a better place.

Your pain will subside some with time, just keep remembering all the good things about the little fella. So sorry this happened to him.

Beth

I am so so sorry. You did everything you could, but he's pain free and at peace now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Shauna,

I had a feeling about this just the past few days and for some reason I couldn't bring myself to contact you for an update. This news just breaks my heart. Even though I never met him in person I really liked that little guy.
default_wub.png
Such a beautiful, kind eye and pretty head. What you did to try and help him was amazing. Any horse would be so lucky to live at your place!

Again, I'm so sorry.
default_no.gif

I am so sorry for your loss, but you did make the right decision.

It is always so hard to loose a good friend.

Thank you for all your kind words. It was a very hard decision, made harder because Jedi and I fought for so long for a better outcome and for awhile I really thought he was going to make it. I know it was the right thing to do but it's really hard going out there and seeing his empty stall.

He was a wonderful little guy, never once tried to bite or kick, not even when I first got him and he was as wild as could be. He loved to lean against me for scratches and dealt really well with all his restrictions. He even cooperated for his many exams and x-rays and tests without much complaint.

default_no.gif
Very sorry to hear this bad news...remember the good times and rejoice in knowing he is pain free and running wild again!

I am so sad to hear what has happened! My deepest condolances on your loss!

You did the best you could for him though and made the kindest and most loving decision at the end.

Im sure he is running pain free now.

Cheers

Masako

Sorry to hear. Its hard no matter what!! I'm glad you did help him as much as you could and were able to decide what was best for him. Sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss. Poor little guy, you both tried so hard, but in the end you've made the right decision, hard as it was to do. That is just such a shame.

So sad for you..

I'm sure it will take time, but it will get better. Just keep your memories close to your heart
default_wub.png

Shauna,

I am so sorry to read this post. I was hoping for a fairy tale ending for Jedi's situation. I know that a lot of us were. My heart goes out to you and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jill

Latest posts

Back