For those who also raise cattle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reijel's Mom

Reaction score
Sort of a weird question
default_smile.png

I (think) I am expecting my first miniature foal this year. I have been and will continue to read all the books and other information I get on foaling, but from a "real life" standpoint - I have helped calve, and I would guess that foaling is going to be very similar.

Can those who've had experience with both give me their thoughts on the similarities and differences between calving and foaling? The actual physical experience, not the emotions involved (my mini foal will be a treasured pet where I know most of those darling calves I helped deliver eventually got eaten
default_no.gif
)

Thanks
default_smile.png

While I've only been around cattle the 5 years I've been married, the biggest difference I know of is its not good to forcefully pull a foal like you can calves, you can really do serious damage to a mare (and foal) to use force. If you have to help full a foal, you need to pull gently with the contractions (no using a puller, like you can with cattle - I've seen my husband literally pull a calf out of a cow with a puller and both cow and calf are just fine afterwards - this should not be done with horses, unless its your absolute last chance).

I'm sure there are other things, but this is the one that tops my list of differences.

Hi-

Basically things are the same, position wise. First one front hoof then the other front hoof with the nose next on top of the legs. The big difference is that horses are more fragile and need to get the baby out faster than a cow. If you have to help the baby out, same for both, pull out and down toward the hocks with the contractions. Generally if the baby isn't out within 15 minutes of the first hoof showing, I would help things along. Cows (ours anyway) most often calved standing up, horses lying down.

One thing I have noticed with my horses is that the "sac" on the miniature horses can sometimes be tough and needs to be broken by hand. This is just my experience from 20 years of foaling horses of all sizes and calving cows.

Don't be scared though, in all the years we raised miniatures, the number of foals born without our help far outnumbered those that required serious intervention.

Let me know what you think after your foal arrives, you are not to far from me.

Kelly
default_saludando.gif

Ditto to Chanda and mini1 .........I don't "raise" cattle but live in cattle country and have been around calving.

If you assist a horse foaling, you pull DOWNWARD and pull as the mare contracts or pushes.

I urge you to pop over to the Lil Beginnings "Best Of" pages to read more on foaling. There's probably just about everything covered on there.
default_yes.gif

Not all calving is created equal. Or maybe better said, not all bovine breeds have the same calving history. I live in Black Angus ranch country and what is commonly done (because their calves are SO BIG) is the rancher must dive in almost immediately and pull that calf. BIG NO-NO with horses!! There are many different things that can go wrong and you need to educate yourself as much as possible plenty of time beforehand. Usually everything goes just fine but it's better to be prepared and not have to use that knowledge then to not know what to do.

Here are a few direct quotes from the priceless and absolutely essential foaling book Blessed Are The Broodmares In these paragraphs she is discussing what normally happens, not specific issues of dystocia or red bag births. Italics and caps and exclaimation points are the authors, not mine.

Do not hurry the mare's delivery. Permit her to deliver at her own rate, so long as the foal continues to advance with each contraction. Traction applied, other than concurrently with the mare's contractions, could provoke too rapid a delivery.

As pointed out earlier, the mare usually ceases and rests for a short while after the head and neck have appeared. The attendant should do nothing to interrupt this brief rest period. .... If after one or two minutes the mare does not resume active labor, gentle traction exerted on the foal's front legs will stimulate delivery.

Ill-advised or misplaced assistance or traction can do more harm than good. Yes, a strong person can pull a foal from a mare, but the well-intentioned act could be tragic. Most of the time the damage is hidden and not recognized until the veterinarian examines your mare for the next breeding season. Under no circumstances should a foal be physically pulled from a mare. She is not a cow!

I have to agree with the other posters in that usually less is best with horses.
default_biggrin.png

But there are times that you have to assisit. And when that happens slow, smooth and well lubricated seems to be the ticket. If there are miniature horse farms in the area, I would suggest you contact them and do a little mare watch with them, the education will be a great help.

Cindy has delievered over 400 of these little guys and is really good at it. Each year we have folks that come to the farm to gain exerience, she enjoys the company and loves to share with other folks. I am sure there are people like her in your area.
default_saludando.gif

If that is not an option, at the next show or club meeting you go to try to spark up a conversation between old hands at foaling if you will and listen/ask questions when you do not understand. I am always amazed when Tina Acton and Cindy get to discussing problems they have had with foals and the remedies they used to work with the momma and the new baby. it is utterly amazing to me what those ladies can do. :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back