For Those of You With Palominos...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say I dont agree with people saying that red hides silver - red in itself has no power to hide anything, red is red. the fact that silver cant be physically seen on red can seem like red hides it, but silver is the modifyer, not red, red does nothing but be red, silver hides itself!

(anyone confuse yet? :p )
Well, I suppose you are technically right, but the outcome is the same. Silver is a modifier, that modifies ONLY Black. It does nothing to Red. Therefore, Silver will not show on a Red horse. Same result in the end, regardless of how you word it.
default_yes.gif

I have a gorgeous deep/bright red mare, that is a Rowdy/Dream Merchant grandaughter. I would love to breed her to??? for a pretty golden palomino. What would I select for her?

LilxRedxNaturalxShotxField.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a gorgeous deep/bright red mare, that is a Rowdy/Dream Merchant grandaughter. I would love to breed her to??? for a pretty golden palomino. What would I select for her?

LilxRedxNaturalxShotxField.jpg
For a sure enough pally, a cremello,

a maybe pally -another palomino,

A cremello is red based and carries two creams, so it's a given they'd pass on a red and cream, a pally is red based but with only one cream, so you have a 50/50 of getting another sorrel or getting a pally (50/50 on passing the cream gene).

A perlino or smokey cream would def mean you'd get that cream gene passed on (as both carry two cream genes) but they'd also have to have a red gene so be Ee, and that would be a 50/50 of whether they'd pass the red on rather than the black.

A buckskin or smokey black would be a 50/50 of passing their one cream gene on, and also would have to be Ee, and again 50/50 of passing that red gene on.

Find a a perlino,smokey cream, buckskin, or smokey black that is EE though, and all bets would be off as the foal would be black based rather than red based (which you'd have to have to get a pally) I hope I didn't confuse you too much! And again, seriously study the color calculator that I posted above, it helps a ton!!

Well, I suppose you are technically right, but the outcome is the same. Silver is a modifier, that modifies ONLY Black. It does nothing to Red. Therefore, Silver will not show on a Red horse. Same result in the end, regardless of how you word it.
yes.gif

What I'm finding is that it's being worded totally different in different countries, us in USA word it differently yet mean the same thing than those in other countries. lol

I think it is splitting hairs to say Red does not hide Silver, although personally I more usually say that Silver does not show on Red.

To get a Palomino from a Red mare you breed her to a Cremello, that way you are sure of a Palomino. If you breed her to a Perlino you could get a Buckskin, if you breed to a Palomino you have only a 50/50 chance of Palomino, so Cremello, tested, would be the way to go.

Latest posts

Back