For those of you that want to see a Travois

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chamomile

Reaction score
This is my little mare Chamomile. She is learning to drive and will be my new all around driving horse. I'm hoping to do some CDE's with her!! She is not a breed show driving horse, but will be fun, peppy and energetic to drive and I think will be the type that anyone can drive, by the end of the summer
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Side view of the Travois

travoisside1.jpg

Back view

travoisback.jpg

another side view

travoisside.jpg

Is that made from PVC pipe? And if so, what sizes? I see that you have your traces attached - are they on a screw? Nice idea!

Thanks

Candy

Yes it's pvc pipe. The sides are 10 feet long, 1 1/2 pipe and the cross piece is 4 feet wide just a light pvc pipe. I put duct tape on the ends because they are sharp and I don't want anyone cut up or anything. I also duct tape the cross piece on the sides. I tried just screwing them all together but the screws work themselves loose
default_wacko.png
: And yes I just put one screw on each side into the pipe a little bit and then I hood the traces onto those. It works great! It's a lot scarier than the cart will ever be, it's loud and odd feeling and bouncy when you trot. I find the horses are actually relieved to be hooked to the cart
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: My husband made me something just like that about 4 years ago, but instead of tape used the joint pvc pieces and glued them together. I tell you it sure works nicely!! I love it!

LOL Yes when it's up to me, I either use duct tape or twine
default_rolleyes.gif
: I wish I could get my husband to build me these things, but he is NOT interested.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Oh well. I have to replace the duct tape every so often, but it does stay together! And I like that it has some give to it, like a single tree. It swings with the horses shoulder movement.

I have made one that is also made with PVC pipes but mine will not pull loose when it is being draged. It has a lot more room behimd the horse just in case it should kick.I put a 2x6 to stable it also. If you would like to see it check out my web site under pvc pipe panels and jumps and the travois

it is www.ida.net/users/tinyacres/.If you would like more information just e-mail me

tiny acres, your travois is very nice as well! I do like the length of mine because I can hook the minis to it and also big horses. It's very versatile. The horse move out very well in this get up and also it follows them very well. I like to be able to walk along behind them, beside them, whatever. And sometimes I tie cans and plastic bags filled with stuff to the back of the travois. Depending on what the horse is going to be doing in their working life
default_smile.png
Thanks for the link to yours!! Very nice
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back