For Those Going to "R" Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
Hold onto you pocket books. I called the Expo Center and taked with Ken to find out where the RV Reservation Form had disappeared to and got the shock of my life. They are revamping the website so you have to call and then they tell you all the good news and where to find the form.

As of 1 July 2009:

Rates for any size vehicle whether useing a 30A/50A system is now $35.00/night. That is an increase from last year for those of use under 40 feet of $10.00/night and for those over 40 feet it's an increase of $5.00/night.

The weekly rate went up from $150.00/week for under 40's and $180.00/week for over 40 ft to $210.00 a week + $35.00 each additional night.

For me that is $350.00 for nationals and not only that they don't take just a 1 nights deposit and pay the balance when you get there they charge the whole stay to your credit card at the time reservations are made and if you leave early it is as he says very difficult to get a refund for the days you do not stay.

I may have to refigure this since there are several extended stay motels that you can get for under $200.00/week or better yet I may get another couple of stalls and stay in them.

We have a completely self contained motor home. Previously, we have stayed at the camp grounds. This year, we have a horse trailer that has a 10 foot dressing room, and an air conditioner. It has a bed in the goose neck, and we have a generator. We will be sleeping in the horse trailer. I've spoken to several people who say they will be sleeping in their tack stalls. With the economy the way it is, and prices going up, I can't blame anyone for not wanting to stay at the camp grounds, especially with the hard to get back refund if you happen to leave earlier.

Davie - I feel your pain!

I found about the new policies and prices last week and posted about it. When you're expecting a $20 charge on your credit card only to find out it's $350.00, it definitely hits you in the wallet. Plus, I had an confirmation e-mail stating they had charged our card for 1 night's rent. When I called to inquire with that e-mail in hand after learing about the $350.00 charge on our card, I was informed of the new policies and prices that took effect July 1st, they said were attempting to be sure the confirmation e-mails did not say "first night's rent" such as mine did. I was told they could refund all but that first night, but they would not guarantee we would have a spot. Deciding they had us over a barrel, I chose not to have them do the refund -why go through any added stress of losing our spot. I agree the increase was excessive and think the situation could have been handled differently.

Tam

Hey there just in case anybody needs to shower and they are staying in their tack rooms or horse trailers

Im not sure if the Tulsa Fairgrounds has showers for people ( I know they use to at the OKC fairgrounds)

but keep in mind that most of your truckstops like the TA the Loves (the bigger ones not just the gas stations)

The Flying J Pilots and Petro they all have showers for the truck drivers !

they supply towels too and if you have a family You could buy one shower for about $9 bucks and share (you would need a few of your own towels they usually only give one )and when you bring the key and towel back

you get a refund of a few dollars also if you need diesel in you trucks fuel up and at like loves if you have a loves reward card you get a free shower for so many gallons of fuel and a free drink refill if you have your own cup or mug !

Okay just wanted to share an idea that maybe some folks over look but they are there and they are clean

just sharing from a truck drivers perspective of someone who lives in the truck alot ! LOL

hope that this tip helps for those that might not be staying in the motel and im hoping to take a few days vacation and stop up nad visit !

good luck to all

Yeah - they got us, too. I emailed and questioned if it was correct. They emailed back that the policy changed July 1 so I replied asking where there was list of policy changes so I could read them and be prepared for the changes....they never responded to me then. They will probably put us clear out in the back 40 since I asked.....(gees, I hope not)......See you in Tulsa.

Hey there just in case anybody needs to shower and they are staying in their tack rooms or horse trailers Im not sure if the Tulsa Fairgrounds has showers for people ( I know they use to at the OKC fairgrounds)
The fairgrounds do have pretty nice showers. We stay in our stalls so they are quite handy to have. $65 for a stall for all week is much easier than the $350+ for the campgrounds.
default_biggrin.png

Lucy

I"ll probably be adding a couple of stalls and make a small bedroom/sitting area to add to the stall we make into a kitchen area where we keep our electric grill, the fridge, coffee pot and crock pot. Making meals and having the fridge (10 cf) for soft drinks/tea and sandwich stuff really helps keep the costs down. Paying a $130 for extra stalls instead of $350 is a big difference--and I just bought a new trailer last year with a small sleeping area in it just last year and had it at the RV park.

If you stay in stalls just be sure to bring some large sheets of plastic to put over the top of the stalls to keep the piegons from messing up stuff--Nothing like being bombed by a piegon in the middle of the night
default_wacko.png

Also if you have a small room A/C you can make a small platform that will hook over the side of the stall and then take a couple of chains attach to the platform and then clip the chains around the top of the stall and you have a really comfy place to stay--the electricity is free --
default_biggrin.png

See you all there.

Yikes, that is a pretty big increase, but we were very happy to stay at the campground when we were there a couple of years ago. The showers were handy there, as a pipe in the shower in the living quarters of the trailer had broken and we didnt know til we got there and hooked it up and turned it on! Flooded the bathroom and out into the 'living room'....
default_wacko.png

It was also very handy for us, because we were in the back barns closest to the RV area, so it was nice to be that handy to the horses. (It was cooler back there too!!)

I know the guy that was there running the RV park a couple of years ago was moving on, and said he would not be there after 2007 season. He treated us very well. Didnt go last year, so dont know who is running it now.

I imagine hotel rates, etc... have gone up as well, and our friend's new truck was stolen from her hotel parking lot the first night!!! She had to buy a new one to get home! So I guess there are down sides to everything......

Ok, as someone that has never been there, but planing on maybe next year. Can you stay in your trailer on the grounds? I mean you don't have to stay at the RV Park? We have a trailer that is fully self contained. That would save some money!

We have a completely self contained motor home. Previously, we have stayed at the camp grounds. This year, we have a horse trailer that has a 10 foot dressing room, and an air conditioner. It has a bed in the goose neck, and we have a generator. We will be sleeping in the horse trailer. I've spoken to several people who say they will be sleeping in their tack stalls. With the economy the way it is, and prices going up, I can't blame anyone for not wanting to stay at the camp grounds, especially with the hard to get back refund if you happen to leave earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, as someone that has never been there, but planing on maybe next year. Can you stay in your trailer on the grounds? I mean you don't have to stay at the RV Park? We have a trailer that is fully self contained. That would save some money!
In past years they haven't had any problems with you staying in your trailer (I'm assuming you mean without electricity - since you'd have to go to the campgrounds for that). However, they insist you park the trailers in a "guarded" area, which is funny as there is no fence and even the guards say it no easy feat to watch these trailers (better have locks on most stuff). So anyway this "area" is never convenient to the barns. Can we say long hike to your trailer and if you want to drive your truck in and out, well, that will take some doing too!

I've stayed in the campground a couple of years and really liked the people running it. I've also tried the horse trailer route with my sis for Pinto World. One year I used a hotel. Given the choice of all I'd choose the campground. Better security, showers (even though sometimes there's a wait), and more convenient to drive in and out of.

When we called to book - the man suggested we book for a night less than we figured we would need -- he said you can always add on a night at the end -- but will be difficult or impossible to get a refund -- made sense . SO , we are booked -- always liked staying there before. Everything is hooked up & handy.

zThanks for the info, we do have a generator, but sounds like to me it is best to stay in the RV Park, I did call and asked about staying in the parking lot and they told me really you are not suppose to and that you can't run a generator. So RV Park here we come! Well if we get to go at all
default_rolleyes.gif

I've stayed in the campground a couple of years and really liked the people running it. I've also tried the horse trailer route with my sis for Pinto World. One year I used a hotel. Given the choice of all I'd choose the campground. Better security, showers (even though sometimes there's a wait), and more convenient to drive in and out of.

Latest posts

Back