? for Rabbitsfizz

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXRed

Reaction score
In another post, you stated that Hinneys & mules are sterile, but the males still need to be castrated. Why?

Hinneys and Mules are only sterile something like 98% of the time BUT they still have all the necessary hormones to make them fully male- think of a vasectomised man- no change!! A lot of people mistake sterility for impotence or lack of virility but this is NO way true!! An Entire Mule is a force to be contended with- not someone I would like to meet, in fact the gelding of Mules as foals is a long term practise.

As long as we are on the subject, does the sterility issue apply to the female hinnies and mules ? Do they still cycle like jennets or mares? Thanks Linda

Yes they still cycle. As long as you are aware that a constantly cycling female that is constantly bred can get a womb infection (so should be tested for such once a year) they make good stallion companions IF their temperament suits the lifestyle!!!

I have hinnys and mules, and also a zedonk and would definitely recommend gelding them. I just got my first hinny gelded at the age of 2 1/2 and what a differance it has made in him. As soon as the others drop they will get gelded too. Mine have always been very easy and nice to be around, nothing like some of the horror stories I have been told, so I really do think it all depends upon the individual mule. When I got my zedonk everyone also told me how horrible they were to work with and train, mine now follows me around like a puppy and is extreamly sweet. He has also attached himself to my 34 yr old Arabian, and is his constant companion. I have mine as "guard animals" and they do a great job at that. Corinne

Back