For Learning Purposes, a 27.75" Maiden Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I got some pics of Ravey today from Heather (the absolute bestest, sweetest person there is
default_wub.png
) and an adorable note from "Raven" too!
default_yes.gif

Here is the note:

Hey Mom, it's Raven. I have been away for a long time and I want you to know I miss you. I am in a nice place, but sometimes the other mares aren't nice. I have a good friend named Temptation. She is bigger than me, but everyone is. I am the smallest one here except for Princess. She is little too but she had to stay in the bottom pasture when I moved.

Miss Heifer said it was time to come up around the barn. I am not sure why we are there but we get fed more now. The other mares are getting really fat. I am a little fat, but Miss Heifer said I am probably carrying tight because I haven't had a baby before. I don't know what that means. Oh well...I just wanted to say hi and let you know I miss you lots!!! Here are some photos Miss Heifer took of me when I was talking to Nut. Heifer calls her Nut. I don't know why because we can't eat her.

Will you be coming to see me sometime? If you do will you bring me carrots? I like carrots, but I don't like oranges...yuk. They don't give me carrots often. I think I need more.

Love Raven

Isn't that too sweet???
default_wub.png

Below are some pics. For reference, she is 27.75-28" tall, maiden, 5 years old now. She's bred to Little Kings Black Velvet. I'm also including a pic of her in show shape so you can see the difference. Thanks for looking!

Pictured as a 3 yr old in the Grand Sr Mare class at the World Show, 2009:

ravengrandclass170_025web.jpg

raven260days2.jpg

These was another picture where if I didn't know better I'd say she's just fluffy and not even pregnant. She's certainly trying to keep the "maiden secret."
default_laugh.png

How sweet of her to write you - I loved her letter- lol
default_biggrin.png

That is going to be some special foal can't wait till we hear an announcement on this one.

She is in very good hands for foaling too. What a gorgeous girl!
default_wub.png

Aw!
default_wub.png
She looks adorable Parm!

She writes a nice letter! It was nice of Auntie Heifer to help her write it!

Thanks for sharing the pic and the wonderful letter from Ms. Heifer - oops, I mean Raven. Raven must have been bred the same time as Toffee, so maybe they will be on Mare Stare at the same time???? I'll watch yours if you watch mine (formerly yours).

This is too cute, Parm! Ravey looks fantastic! Can hardly believe she is that far along already, although I suuppose it seems like forever to you. Can't wait to see her beautiful baby
default_smile.png
I have a foal out of Little Kings Black Velvet and he is just the best
default_smile.png
Your baby will be awesome !!!

Thanks everyone!

Maybe Tony will see this and also posts some pics for comparisons, but this is new for me. Never bred one this small and never a maiden. I've bred multiple 29" mares though and by 260 days they were starting to look like pot bellied pigs! And by foaling time, the belly was close to the ground it seemed. Not really, but sometimes is wonder how much lower it could go.
default_smile.png

Parmela, Raven is just a doll...........and that must be one tiny baby!! I'll be watching MareStare!!!

Pam

Thanks for all the kind words about Raven. She's a special one for sure!

And if you are the praying type, if you could add her to your prayers I'd appreciate it. I know people breed tiny ones all the time, but this is a first for me and I'm scared to death! All the best medical advice and precautions in the world can't always prevent something, so added prayers are always appreciated. Thanks!
default_wub.png

And Jill, I would LOVE to see a Raven x Squirt cross down the road!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

I've bred small ones for a long time. As you say, sometimes even the best efforts fail but, that is true of the larger mares also. Tony & I have talked about this often in the past and feel they truly have no more issues that big mares, over all. The first one can be a little "tight"
default_rolleyes.gif
but, after that not an issue. I breed seldom now but last yr my 27" maiden had hers easily and safely.

You waited until she was fully mature to breed, she was in excellent condition and will hold up well, IMO. Yrs back I had a mare her size showing and obviously training and win the 28 & under Natl Chmp while being prego. She delivered beautifully a few months later, first foal. You are correct, however, that often subsequent foals tend to hang low. Used to say I needed to strap a skateboard to their belly
default_laugh.png

I'm keeping your mare in my prayers and can hardly wait to see that awesome foal! One thing, my little mares (I had a herd of 40 under 29") did not carry as long as the big girls. 285 to 310 days....most were 300-305 days....just for reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is such a cute letter! How sweet! Beautiful girl, Parmela! Good luck and yep, will say a little prayer for a safe delivery.
default_thumbup.gif

What is MareStare?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back