Footwear

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I am now the worst to ask for advice...... With the big horses it was ALWAYS boots, but I have gotten lazy and hate wearing shoes in the summer. At best, it's probably good tennis shoes or boots in winter, but usually sandals and sometimes thongs.

And don't ask me how many broken toes I have had!!! Sometimes overlapping!!!

Queen of smashed feet here.
default_smile.png
I usually wear a good sturdy pair of athletic shoes but have to confess to wearing flip flops sometimes when my feet hurt too much for shoes. I have some great muck boots for winter. The xrays I had done on my feet last year showed some bone chips "floating" around and a kind of squashed joint behind the toes......I have procrastinated but really need surgery to correct it, but it will require being off my feet too long. I can definitely vouch for the necessity of good shoes. I've been stepped on many more times with minis than I ever was with big horses.

Jan

I'm getting lazy as I get older! loL! I LOVE my slip on Roper tennis shoes..... I also love showing in my roper shoes.... I have several differnt colored pair. They are comfortable and look decent too showing in halter.
default_biggrin.png

Flip flops and crocs here .... had my toes stepped on plenty times, as they say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks (im sure 20 in dog years is old)
default_smile.png
. Just so nice to be able to slip on some comfy flip flops or crocs and head out to the barn.....i hate in the winter having to put on these heavy bulky boots. I could do flip flops all year if it wasnt for the snow..

I have have my set "barn flip flops" and "barn crocs" which are different from my "going to the store crocs / flip flops" or "going to work crocs".

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen of smashed feet here.
default_smile.png
I usually wear a good sturdy pair of athletic shoes but have to confess to wearing flip flops sometimes when my feet hurt too much for shoes. I have some great muck boots for winter. The xrays I had done on my feet last year showed some bone chips "floating" around and a kind of squashed joint behind the toes......I have procrastinated but really need surgery to correct it, but it will require being off my feet too long. I can definitely vouch for the necessity of good shoes. I've been stepped on many more times with minis than I ever was with big horses.Jan

[SIZE=12pt]O.K. Jan, you need to get a good pair of CROCS.... and then your feet will feel like there walking on clouds. Ha![/SIZE]

I too wear an old pair of crocs that are no longer suitable for the medical office. I wear crocs almost all of the time.....work or play....they are easy to wash and clean up well and look smashing with a bit of "armour all"...yes, I know it is for cars...but it really makes them look like new!

anyway....the few times I have "run out quick" to the horse area with flip flops on the mini always manages to step on my toes!

I am on my feet all day, I work at a feed/tack store and then am at the barn for a couple hours afterward. I have tried every shoe that I can think of and HONESTLY, the most comfortable that I have in my closet are my FatBaby boots. They are not approved for riding, but hey, that doesn't matter with the minis, does it? All of my friends that ride, wear thier Fatbaby's til its time to get in the saddle........then, when they are done, back on the Fatbabys go. I am on a concrete floor all day and these are one of the only shoes that my feet and back still feel good at the end of the day.

PS. Its a known fact that your horse will not step on your foot til you go to the barn in flip-flops. :)

I have a pair of old trusty wolverine dura shocks made for riding that I got 6 years ago at Gabriel Brothers for $60. Other than the 3 dots of hoof black spilled on the toe, they are in great shape. I do wish I had a pair of pull on or zipper on boots though, I hate typing boots. Call me lazy, I call it "on the go". I might try the crocs, theres an Ollies store by me that have name brand crocs for $9 or $10. This store is an outlet store, and If I like them, I'll stock up.

I almost always wear boots to the barn, because I do still occasionally ride and handle large horses, and it HURTS to get stomped by one of the big guys.

I wear LL BEAN slip on rubber bottom leather top shoes(not sure of the name, but they are like the BEAN BOOT except no back>I get the ones lined with thinsulate and they are warm in the winter and not hot in the summer.They don't track lots of mud into the house and are fine except in deep snow or pouring rain.They are very comfortable and last a long time.(about 2 years with daily wear.Cost is about $70 In the pouring rain or snow I wear higher rubber boots lined with something warm.

Along with the Ariat boots I love, I do have a couple pairs of Ariat mules or clogs. A leather pair that I've been wearing for probably 7 years. They are not public presentable (maybe could be cleaned up?), but are so easy just slip on and off vs. boots to lace or zip. The other pair is made of rubber but has all the Ariat support and balance. When I got my first pair of Ariats, I had just wanted them because I thought they looked cool and my friends all had them. But when they arrived and I tried them on, I couldn't believe how comfortable and felt like I wanted to wear them to bed.

PS I got married in a pair of Ariats
default_biggrin.png

I LOVE my Crocs, will always own at least two pair, the winter Crocs and the summer. Problem is, they suck in gravel and dirt and can make for painful walking. Also, our Lab has this knack for stepping on my feet, especially now that I am having terrible trouble with hammer toes on both. She manages to step right on that little spot that hurts so bad. Sure wouldn't want to have a horse step on me, but I have been known to wear them at horse shows when I am not showing.

My podiatrist would have a fit if I wore anything but my prescription shoes now. I made the mistake of wearing my old broken down shoes to the barn to cover the pepper plants when frost was predicted. Trudging though ankle deep soft dirt several times, and I ended up in his office on Tuesday for cortisone shots in each foot!
default_new_shocked.gif

Never again, as I am told if I keep that up, I will have to have surgery for sure. Guess I had better be more careful and also keep the darn dog off my feet!!! I don't want any more surgery.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back