Footwear

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
What type of footwear do you like while working around horses? Boots? Tennis shoes? ????

I would also be interested in knowing what brand of boots people think are really comfy and good.

I went out to the barn last night for 'just a second' to move my pg mare into her foaling stall after being out in the corral. Well, of course, she stepped right on my toes and I do believe my toe is most likely broken
default_sad.png
I was wearing flip flops- ok- I do know better. But, how many of us have gone out to the barn for 'just a second' and didn't wear substantial footwear??? So, I am going to get a sturdy pair of boots to wear while working in the barn. So, what brands do you like?

What type of footwear do you like while working around horses? Boots? Tennis shoes? ???? I would also be interested in knowing what brand of boots people think are really comfy and good.

I went out to the barn last night for 'just a second' to move my pg mare into her foaling stall after being out in the corral. Well, of course, she stepped right on my toes and I do believe my toe is most likely broken
default_sad.png
I was wearing flip flops- ok- I do know better. But, how many of us have gone out to the barn for 'just a second' and didn't wear substantial footwear??? So, I am going to get a sturdy pair of boots to wear while working in the barn. So, what brands do you like?

I like Ariat low shoes, look alot like hiking ankle high. Strong toes but not heavy.

Lildrummer

I'll be honest with you- I NEVER go into the horses' area without shoes, preferably boots. I wear Justin boots now, but prefer Ariat. I do have rubber boots for the wet days, too.

Lucy

I love muckboots for working around the horses. They are comfy and and easy to slip on as you run out the door! I have Ariat paddock boots, but they take too long to put on and are not as comfortable. Hope your toe feels better soon!

I always have my Blunderstones one. But my fiance is a NUT and wears her sandals all the time.

She has done it for years and years. Drives me crazy. And yet its always me getting stepped on and not her.

I wear Justin western boots and will say that they are NOT enough! I am looking for some either thicker or just plain steel toed boots because I had one of my minis stomp on my foot and break it and of course she still continuously manages to step on the same place on that foot....
default_wacko.png
! So I would just go try on a bunch of different boots and see if they are comfy and make sure they are strong especially if you are going to be around an emotional yearling!

I wear Ariat heritage paddock boots... I prefer the lacers but the zipper kind is okay too. They usually are about $90-100 and I wear them every single day and go through about a pair every year and a half. Urine and mud and all.

They are comfy and require no break in period.

Andrea

[SIZE=12pt]CROCS.... they honestly helps with the impact of smashed toes/feet and are comfortable to wear long-term. [/SIZE]

All those individuals in the medical profession can't be wrong....

Saftey for my feet is pretty much a last priority, i wear flip flops, and sometimes ill go in with crocks. I RARLEY wear closed toes shows unless its winter/fall and i usually wear rainboots or marrels. (sp?) I'll also end up going and muching out stalls with Uggs then i learned in school that they keep the scent on them, so all day i was trying to figure out what on me smelled like horse.
default_rolleyes.gif

I was always taught to avoid steel toed boots around horses, maybe not such an issue with the minis, but they are a good way to risk amputation........

My vote is for the Ariats, although I am usually in tennis shoes.

CROCS get my vote too. I am in the medical profession and so I just ended up using my "old" pair at the barn. They sure do cushion any stepped on feet. They also wash well in bucket of soapy water.
default_smile.png

I usually wear running shoes as I just hate boots--cheap runners that I can muck around in and throw them out when they get into appalling condition...if I paid a good sum of $$$ for boots I wouldn't want to wear them out in the corrals & mess them up or wreck them. I'll wear my runners even when the footing is somewhat mucky; when it's muddy I just wear plain rubber boots. I have had my little toes broken once or twice, when one of the Morgans stepped on my foot (in runners)...just on the little toe & nothing else. Otherwise it hurts if I get my foot stepped square on, but no serious damage done, especially now with the minis.

In all honesty, if I have to go anywhere near the horses I never run out just in slippers or flipflops--I can jump into a pair of runners in no time flat & so that's what I do any time I have to run out to the barnyard for any reason. Flipflops do not belong anywhere near horses!

I have a pair Ariats, but to be honest, they are a pain to put on. Especially when on the run (which I always seem to be).

I like the Muckboot. They have 3 digfferent types. The low shoe for summer, quick to put on and sturdy but resistant to wet. Then the lower boat. Great for snow, easy to slip on, warm enough to plow snow with on a tractor (I should know, I live in Minnesota), and good with mud. Then there is the taller boot, great for a lot of snow and deep mud. I happen to have all three styles and use them all.

They last forever, and are so easy to work with. I have also been stomped on with them, and because the rubber is so thick, all I get is a slight bruise.

I like Ariats too; I have both lacers and the hiking type shoe, like them all. I buy a pair to wear to town and such, and when it gets scuffed up, they are demoted to barn shoes. Its great if you can find them on sale.

I were what I used to call my Sh*t shoes. But since the kids came along I now call them my poop shoes. These are a cheep pair of slip on shoes I get at Wal-Mart. When it is raining, snowing or I am giving a bath I wear my pink and purple plad muck boots.
default_biggrin.png

Looks like a great selection of ideas! Thanks, guys!

I mostly have worn tennis shoes, rubber boots, and rubber clogs (that are not very thick rubber, actually) but this time I wore those flip flops---never again. I am thinking about adding some other footwear, so I appreciate the info and suggestions!

Latest posts

Back