foot ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
has anyone ever have the frog on the foot peal up? if so what causes it

also what do you guys used to keep hoofs healthy?

Yes frogs fall off often or are worn off. It will grow back. What you need to watch for is thrush (grainy black material), it eats the underside of the hoof. If you have chalky underfoot - they are pretty dry. If they are outside and you have an outside hydrant, I would we the ground really well around where they drink water.

The frog will naturally slough off. Your horse should be fine.

I don't ever use anything on my hooves unless the farrier recommends something for a particular ailment, but my horses live in clean, dry footing year round.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's been very very dry this year and that's the only thing I know that's different thanks for the info though

Dry is not enough! It's like a desert here, we've lost crops, and replanted, but still no rain. Yes my horse hooves are suffering and I have a farrier for a husband. Don't worry the frogs sloofe off then regrow. I once bought a filly that had no frog on one hind foot, it took awhile for it to grow back, but it did. Sometimes the frog will actually grow out and you will see it come out behind the heel, if that is the problem get your farrier to pare out the soul and trim back the frog for new growth. As others have suggested wetting down the area by the water bucket is good too.

Latest posts

Back