Foals eye color???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernB

Reaction score
Some people have been telling me that my fillie's eyes look blue to them, but I thought that they should be more of a shocking blue. Will her eyes darken as she ages or will they lighten. any info????

074181.jpg

87974x1.jpg

I would say, judging from these photos, that her eyes will darken. They may end up staying a bit lighter than normal, but I don't feel they are the actual true blue eyes.

I have found cream and silver genes often cause this lighter color in foals eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gelding, Skipper, was born with eyes that same color and they turned brown. I also think that DunIT's eyes were about that color when he was a foal and his eyes turned to be so dark they are almost black
default_wub.png
:

All babies eyes are bluish- horses, dogs, cats, etc.... then change with age. Usually the baby horses, if their eyes are to remain really blue are pretty light at birth- very easily noticed.

Dun will do it, too. My Black Dun colt's eyes were quite bright blue, but faded within two days.

Dun will do it, too. My Black Dun colt's eyes were quite bright blue, but faded within two days.
Neat! I never knew that part of it, and that would probably be why DunIT's eyes were blue at birth. I will file that away for future reference as I will have, hopefully, lots of dun happening in the future!

We've had foals with that color eye and they've darkened in time, but never truly get dark brown.

Just one of those fun things to watch and wait and see......
default_yes.gif
:

MA

I'm a little slow, but here is a picture of my colt from last year whose eyes stayed blue. You can see how different the color is:

140894483.jpg

All babies eyes are bluish- horses, dogs, cats, etc.... then change with age. Usually the baby horses, if their eyes are to remain really blue are pretty light at birth- very easily noticed.

I know this is true for cats.....but not for horses. I have had many foals who were born with dark brown eyes. It certainly isn't true for humans either.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back