I am a new member here. Thank you for having me. I have been in the horse world for 50 years, however in many different roles.... never a "breeder" before though. I have two minis. My female mini is pregnant. NOW WHAT???? I had my two minis together and my male's testicles had not descended so I didn't think he could impregnant my mare. 'WRONG! I guess they were more depended than I thought. I have a very pregnant mare now. By my calculations her last cycle was around the month of July'ish. Yes, I did not keep good books. I had to move barns, I am a boarder, I have 10 horses, divorce, ...... so, My record keeping was not what is should have been.
Now, my mare is very pregnant and seems to be doing well. My vet said to just wait and see. I live in Hawaii and we do not have many options for vets. I have asked her to do an ultrasound but she keeps saying no need. I have asked her about extra feed, more vitamins, .... basically I have been told just to be surprised and status quo. This is not my method as I like to be in the know.
My two minis are kept together and we are preparing to separate them, so she can foal safely.
My mare is about 4 years old, I have had her 2.5 years. Back in December 2018, she suffered from botulism and almost died. The male I had with her then actually did pass away. Since then she has been healthy and happy. I feed my minis Timothy pellets and Timothy hay.
I have gone through most of the boards and have lots of great information, but I would like some opinions on should I seek out another vet to ultrasound? Do I need to feed more? What should I be looking for? Is there any other way to calculate the due date since I am unsure on the breed date? Yikes... I know natures takes its course and all but this is scary now that it is getting closer.