Foaling sign question.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
I know that passing manure frequently in soft, wet piles is a sign that the time of foaling is getting closer.

Does it usually mean that she has a couple more days or is it a sign that she's going to go within the next day?

I can't seem to find anything on it, just that it's a sign.

That's what I saw today in Slippers' stall. Lots of cow pies, more then she's ever pooped in her stall before. I thought that I heard that it was a sign that she would foal very soon, but couldn't find any information on it. Anyone else?

For me... I have found that typically if a mare is doing that, foaling has been within the next few hours.

Hoping to hear that you have a patter of healthy little hooves within the next few hours!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Anna

In my experience with both bigs and (limited) minis my mares did that within a few hours of foaling, usually I take it to mean they are actually in labor or at least very close to it.

I'm going to check her in a bit, but it seems like I'll be spending the night at the farm. Good thing they have a a couch, kitchen, and bathroom in the viewing room for just this purpose.

Thanks for answering. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

[SIZE=12pt]In my experience I've had mares that had loose stool for a (2) day period prior to foaling. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't watch them 24-7.... I wouldn't leave her side if she's not on camera/foalert.[/SIZE]

Best wishes....

You are lucky if you are getting any signs of foaling. I have a mare that goes from 0 to foal on the ground in 2.3 seconds. OK, well maybe not that fast. But she is fast.

I would say cowpiles means close to foaling but not all mares will go through the cowpile stage. A couple of years ago I had a mare that foaled the day she cowpiled (probably not a real verb). My mare that foaled yesterday did not do cowpiles at all but was pooping small little neat horse poops around the clock. I picked up and picked up. She was in and out of stage one labor for three days. The third day she was sending loud "neigh-whinnies" out to the other horses who were out grazing. It was like she "was telling the news." Good luck watching her. I had become so sleep deprived I actually had to keep a rock and roll station loud on the radio and set the timer on my cell phone to go off every 15 minutes because I was falling asleep watching the monitor. My limited experience tells me when the urinating and pooping gets very, very, frequent the time is drawing near. That last day her vulva was noticeably warm to the touch and the nipples were straight down most of the day and by evening were slightly pointed out. Hope she births soon for you and it is a textbook delivery.

Back