Foaling Season

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
Hey Guys! So I was thinking today about how excited I am for foaling season! And I thought I'd ask everyone WHAT they keep in their foaling kit and what your always prepared for. Ive owned this mare when she has foaled before with no issues, but I'd like to have a good foaling kit put together! So let me know what you do to prepare for foaling season!!

These are the parents ;) Sire in pasture conition in this photo..

2011foal.jpg

Can't wait to see your new foal when it arrives! As for the foaling kit, I was on Ozark the other day and saw that they have an awesome foaling kit set up they are selling-it has a lot of the main things you'll need. I also make sure I have some nice warm clean blankets, wrap for the tail, banamine for the mare right after she's done foaling, immunoglobulin test (to make sure the foal is getting the amount he/she needs), breast pump for mares with bags that get too full (this seems to happen to us way too often)...I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. Over the years things have accumulated!

Well, with my vast experience of foaling out 2 mares lol (this will be my third in May
default_laugh.png
), I'll share what I will have.

Garbage bag for the placenta

Vet wrap for tail

baby fleet enema (just in case)

Ivermectin for mare (within 12 hours after foaling)

Flashlight

surgical gloves

lots of towels

lubricating jelly

baling twine

blunt-end surgical scissors

betadine in a spray bottle

complete foaling manual by Theresa Jones (having read it and is there for refresher...although, we all know, when it comes to foaling...there is, really no time to "refresh")

and...most importantly a cell phone with all my emergency numbers (vets etc.)

Can't wait to see your little one. Mine is kicking up quite a fuss in there, already, at 6 mos. along
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Caffeine pills?????????

My favorite book is "The Complete Book Of Foaling" by Karen Hayes D.V.M. a must have.

Caffeine pills?????????
Yep, Joanne, No Doz for lethargic foals or ones that don't seem to have the energy to look for the mare's udder after birth. One of the vets at a local vet hospital showed me that trick this past January when I took a mare and foal there. The foal was having difficulty finding the mare's tiny udder and after some hours, ran out of energy to keep trying. At the vet hospital, the vet had one of the techs give the foal some No Doz and it was amazing! The foal jumped up, walked right to the mare, stuck her head under and started nursing.

So No Doz is a permanent component of my foaling kit from now on.
default_yes.gif

I agree with Joanne That book is a MUST Have!

I use a big syringe for a pump for the mare...cut off the end...flip it and put the plunger in backwards...works great.

Flashlight, PHONE,

I am going to have No Doz for sure.

Something to dip the naval in or squirt bottle with it in. (Iodine or Nolvasan)

CAMERA

Warm Water to wash your hands... can get pretty cold washing the hands in cold water mid winter!

Oh I Cant Wait!!!!!!

On the phone, make sure your vet's phone number is already on there so you don't have to look it up or trust your memory. And a back-up vet too.

Check the Best of the Forum because I am pretty sure there is a list on there too.

Yep, Joanne, No Doz for lethargic foals or ones that don't seem to have the energy to look for the mare's udder after birth. One of the vets at a local vet hospital showed me that trick this past January when I took a mare and foal there. The foal was having difficulty finding the mare's tiny udder and after some hours, ran out of energy to keep trying. At the vet hospital, the vet had one of the techs give the foal some No Doz and it was amazing! The foal jumped up, walked right to the mare, stuck her head under and started nursing.

So No Doz is a permanent component of my foaling kit from now on.
default_yes.gif
How much No Doz do you give lethargic foals?

I found this information, but I believe 1/2 tab of 100 mg. given orally or per rectum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back