foaling kit questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
I have my foaling kit ready and waiting but I have a couple of questions. On the Probios-how much do you give the foal? Do you give right after it is born or when?

Do you use the child enema only if needed or as a precaution? How much of it do you use?

When do you usually worm the foal?

Thanks

Kristi,

We don't give our newborns probios unless there's a medical problem. And the vet advises with that.

We give a child's enema to the foal if it hasn't pooped about an hour after first nursing. We use the Fleet infant and administer the full amount VERY gently. HOWEVER, our favorite enema for a newborn is "homemade", but using the Fleet applicator. Our homemade consists of -- filling half of the bottle with mineral oil, half with warm water, and a DROP of liquid soap. We were given this "recipe" by a vet years ago.

Just for the record, their "first poop" is often encouraged by taking in colostrum.

We don't worm a new foal, but we do worm the dam immediately after birth with Ivermectin. The new mother gets the wormer, some banamine, and a dish of grain as soon as she's back on her feet. The wormer gets passed onto the foal through the milk. The foal is then given a first gentle wormer (either Panacur or Safeguard) when it's about 2 months old.

Just what we do.......

I give Probios to the foal typically before they nurse for the first time. I give a little Probios paste, and then syringe a little colostrum into their mouth so I know they at least got a little bit before trying to find it on their own. I give the mare some Probios also, as this is a stressful event for her too.

I only give an enema if the foal is really straining, after their first good meal they will usually pass manure on their own. I have noticed colts tend to have more of a problem, but I watch and administer as necessary for a colt or a fily. I do the child's fleet enema, one good squeeze. ;)

I deworm the mare, not the foal! I use ivermectin dewormer and administer within the first 12-24 hours. I don't like to give it right away if the mare is crampy/uncomfortable. I deworm the foal with fenbendazole (Safe-Guard or Panacur) at 1 month old.

Just what I do, everyone has a different way of doing things.

Nix the probiotic. A foal should eat Mom's poop, gross I know, but its normal and called caprophagy. Better than any probiotic.

Fleet enema, not oil. Oil can irritate.

Give about 12 hours after birth. Fill enema with warm water and give 2 more 12 hours apart.

Many opinions on this. Not sure if any are 'right'.

Dr Taylor

Latest posts

Back