Foaling continues here....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
I noticed today that Mare #3 seemed rather cranky and upset.... and that she was rolling off and on today... not just to scratch her back either. I was really worried as EVERY TIME I have seen excessive rolling with a mare, it always ended up with a dystocia.

Went out to get her and put her in a stall and she dropped and her water broke. I called the neighbors because I just had a gut feeling.... they came right over (they are extremely experienced and been doing this since 1982) The bubble appeared- no baby. After several pushes, finally came the two front feet and nose.... and OMG, a third foot. I was already on the phone to the vet and we tried to reposition it ourselves but that mare was so TIGHT we could not even reach in to where we needed to. She was also pushing against us so hard.... The foal was out too far and tried to breathe.....

Lost a silver dapple Appy colt with a white blanket and star- very small and ultra refined. He had green eyes.

Vet said there was no damage to the mare and she will be ok- got her flushed out and she's is on pain killers tonight, and SMZ's the next 10 days. Also milked her out and got some colostrum in the freezer in case someone here needs it.

I am so bummed.......... the mare just looked back at the baby but didnt even nicker... I think she already knew.

Now I am really nervous about the other two coming.....

So sorry Lauria
default_no.gif
Glad your mare is ok.

So very sorry for your loss -- glad your mare is going to be ok. I have 12/13 mares to foal over then next couple of months, the first ones to go are happily bagging up nicely, but my nerves are already at the top end of the scale! At this time of year I always ask 'why do I do this?' The answer of course comes a little while into the future when I look out across the fields and watch my new babies playing together in the sunshine while their Mums graze contentedly.
default_smile.png

Anna

The first ones to go are happily bagging up nicely, but my nerves are already at the top end of the scale! At this time of year I always ask 'why do I do this?' The answer of course comes a little while into the future when I look out across the fields and watch my new babies playing together in the sunshine while their Mums graze contentedly.
default_smile.png

Anna

I so agree with this Anna!

After many weeks of sleepness nights and then not the outcome you had been prepared for. I always hate starting or ending a season with a loss. At the beginning of the season you are a wreck for the rest of the season and at the end you have to wait until the following spring to get some live ones under your belt.

I am so sorry for your loss.

default_no.gif
Im terribly upset just reading that so I can only imagine how upset you are. Im so sorry.

So very sorry for you and your little mare. Sad.

Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your foal! Glad to hear that your mare will be okay. A few years back we had a similar experience. Mare went into labor..........two legs and head presented normally, then it was like he was 'stuck.' Went inside to feel a hind leg tucked up under his chin. Our equine vet is 45 minutes away, so no time. When the mare contracted, we opted to try to pull the foal out with the hind leg still up under him. Fortunately, we got him out and had the mare checked for tears. She was fine.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way for your other mares to foal safely!

Pam

So sorry for the loss of your little foal
default_sad.png
but so glad that your mare is ok. Sounds like you still did a great job and at the end of the day thats all any of us can do.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
I hope the rest of your foaling season is uneventful and you have nice healthy foals! Glad to hear the mare is okay.

I'm so sorry, Laurie
default_sad.png

He sounded really beautiful too.

Susan O.

Oh no! I'm SO sorry!!!
default_crybaby.gif

I'm glad she will be ok. Good thing you watch your mares so closely. You saved your mare. {{{Hugs}}}

Thanks everyone. I just HATE this part about the whole thing. But I also completely agree with Anna about looking at the new babies and the fun and joy they are. Yep, foaling time is nervewracking but when I think I get to comfortable with it, something happens that smacks me back into reality.

The mare is doing pretty good today- didnt need any more banamine. She is up and looking her perky self and nickered for me this morning. Poor girl.

Sorry to hear of your loss...it makes you wonder why we do this :No- though I do have to say I really do like the little filly you had..what a doll
default_wub.png

Thank you - she can sure run and is just making her mama crazy- today we have added bucking, rearing and spinning to the list of 'hey mom, see what I can do?!'. LOL To distract myself from wanting to clip her down to see what is under her hair I got my yearling fewcap filly clipped except her legs. It is hot and my back and energy gave out. Will finish her legs tonight or tomorrow. For now she just looks like a mutant poodle.

Losing the colt yesterday really sucked, but then I look at the filly and she sure makes me smile.

So sorry for the loss of your colt. Glad to hear your mare is doing OK. We wish you the best of luck for your remaining foaling season.

Me too Laurie. I'm so sad to hear this,. I know you are one of the best of the best and did all you could do.

Sending you big great wishes for your next two.

Back