Foaling Camera & Mare Stare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoreminiatures

Reaction score
We will be getting a new camera system for the new barn when we move.

What are your suggestions for camera ?

We will have a closely located metal barn

Best compatiable for Mare Stare?

What equipment is needed for mare stare ?

I appericiate any and all suggestions, just trying to get ideas and plans in place
default_aktion033.gif

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

HI Janice

You will love having the online cam. We have had such great people help us watch!

Mare Stare will send you the free software with directions

I have owned so many cameras its not even funny LOL. My suggestion is to go wireless if at all possible. This year I am buying one of those wireless cameras that they make at wefoal. His is a really great camera. (this is the one art and theresa used) The problem with wired cameras is the weather messes with the line and it can go up and down and that will drive you nuts.

Also remember you have to have light in the stall for the cam picture to show up. You can only use a reg lightbulb. (no floursent bulbs)

You will also have to buy an "image capture device" I bought the less expensive one at best buy called a dazzle. You can also set it to record so you can have a recording of the mare foaling.

I just went over all this Heather @ marestare a few weeks ago ..

She recommended this camera to me...its wired (the way to go) and cheap but it is what allot of the bigger farms use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=91202

The camera is set up to hook into your dvd player and play on your TV, so you will need to order a video capture decide (Heather recommended a Dazzle Capture Device) which plugs into your computer and then you plug the cords into that.

My barn is close to the house as well, so i did not need any extra line but if you need a longer line you can buy any where from 50ft ro 500ft extra from radio shack.

I've got my foaling cam hooked up now on my tv at night when the mare is in the stall, need to order a dazzle Capt Divc so i can get it up live via marestare
default_smile.png

Heather is awesome at answering any and all questions you have too.

As far as lights go.............I saw where someone put Christmas tree (white) lights and stapled it around the top of the stall. I think I'm going to try it. That way you could still see but not so glaring and disturbing to the mare.

Thank You SO Much for the info, I will print it out and start my purchase plans...
default_wink.png

The Christmas lights are what I use now, with the system we have at this home, They work GREAT !!! I prefer the iscle type they hang down from the wood beams, I am ALWAYS affraid of the wood getting to warm with the other type... Silly Me ... But they ARE MY BABIES.. I ALWAYS pick up afew extra sets during the Christmas clearance sales.. They are bright enough to see wonderfully in the stall on the camera/ But they are dim enough the horse feel relaxed enough to sleep comfortably and yet they are bright enough to WORK on getting a foal out and tending to things needed..

I personally LOVE Christmas lights for the foaling stall..

Thank You For the advice,
default_saludando.gif

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

as long as you stay with the LED type christmas lights you are fine, just remember to keep them clean

don't use the lightbulb types, those are the real firehazards, LED ones are cool and low voltage as well and use very little power

Hey Janice - you need high speed interent - no dial up LOL - I don't know if you are still on dial up over there, but we STILL cannot get DSL or high speed.
default_wacko.png

I have satellite now, but I still don't know if I can hook to marestare or wefoal because I only get so much fair access time and then whamo - it slows way down and is worse than dial-up. Yes you need the computer software and it is approximately 20.00 or so per month.

I'm sure at your new place you will have high speed.
default_smile.png
I personally DO NOT like my wireless system and am getting ready to go back to hardwire.

With the wirless, my cameras are ALWAYS going out or fuzzy - flip when not supposed to and drive me absolutely nutty. The ONLY Positive thing that I can say about my wireless is that you do not need to leave any light on at all -

Good luck!!

Connie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Connie,

Thank You So Much for the info, actually I have high speed here now.. satellite so works real well and I love it..

Down at the house we also have high speed cable or we could do satellite there but I am leaning toward high speed cable..???...

I just want to get plans in order ~ I like the hardwire we use here but that system is years old and thought a update might be nice in the new barn..

Hope all is well, Thank You!!
default_saludando.gif

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

It's amazing that we live less than 3 miles from each other but I cannot get high speed here yet. Grrrr............. anyway stick with your high speed - do not go with satellite. There are restrictions listed as fair access and if you are planning to do mare stare it will run over daily and slow your computer down slower than dial up.

All is well here - hope all is well with you!

Leaving for vacation in the a.m. - won't return until the 25th! Am I excited? YOU BET I AM!!
default_new_multi.gif
default_488.gif
default_risa8.gif

I just bought my wireless system from Ken at Estate Horse Supply, http://www.horsecarts.com

It is excellent, and was less expensive than foalingcamera.com

I have a camera that is color when there is enough light, and goes black and white when it is low light. I have it on right now with NO lights in the barn, it is pitch black out there, and with the infrared I can see my mares plain as day.

I got it up on Marestare today, it went pretty quickly and I am very happy with the results!

My cam is at http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=finchmeadow

Latest posts

Back