Foal with Diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
Princess foaled on Saturday the 21st. our colt started with diarrhea yesterday. Any suggestions?

Pepto usually does the job, but biosponge is excellent too. Biosponge must me used cautiously as not to give too much. Balmex diaper ointment is a Godsend for their bottoms.

This is perfectly normal-usually caused by mare coming in foal heat.It will usually go away when mare goes out.I just use vaseline or diaper creme on foals butt to avoid blistering of skin.I didn't give anything to foal.No need to add unnecessary things to foal's system.I would not use bio sponge.You could cause an impaction and that would be worse than what you have now.

If the foal is bright, eating well, and acting good then I do not encourage treatment.

This is likely a normal foal heat diarrhea.

Dr Taylor

Thanks. He is alert and active. He eats just fine. I worry because I have to keep them confined in such a small space (about 10x48). They have to be there until he is about a month old. At which time I am hoping to have his dad gelded and mom and baby go back in with the herd.

Our foal did the same thing but after a week and a few days of OTC meds i called the vet and she fixed me up her Rx mixture. Two doses the next day and he was cleared up.

He seems to be clearing up now. It must have been the foal heat thing. Her last foal didn't get diarrhea.

Back