Foal watch begins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
My ten year old mare, Cherry Bomb (born about the same time I discovered this Forum), is due Feb. 14, but the last few days, she's really been progressing on her udder development.

Last year she was due Jan. 31, and foaled a beautiful silver buckskin colt on the same night our nephew's boat sank off the Tillamook Bar, Feb. 7.

She's been HUGE since she was five months in, and in July and August, I was thinking either twins or a Hanoverian, but she really hasn't grown MUCH since then.

She was at our beach drive in Sept., and getting a few funny remarks, but she's always a trooper.

I bought a bale of straw today!

I'm halfway hoping she holds out a few weeks to give the pasture time to grow in some. Doesn't seem right for a baby to be running around in all that muck.

Mouse (in avatar) is gonna have a little sister (I hope!) or brother (4/5 of her babies have been colts) soon, and Gramma is playing the nervous Grandmother, following Cherry everywhere, waiting for another grandkid to show up. I wish I could convey the concern that Gramma has for her daughter. She nickers for her grumpily if she gets out of her sight and grudgingly follows her to the farthest reaches of the pasture, where CB likes to hang out when she's at the end of her gestations. Poor Gramma, she's getting her exercise, that's for sure, for playing "midwife."

I'll keep ya posted! Dad is the Crabby Chicken Ranch's fabulous Pharaoh son, who was the sire of my filly, Lark. This is CB and Falcon's first tryst, and so we'll see what comes of it. I'm SURE it'll be red (dad and mom are both), but I'm hoping for dark red w/a face marking....a filly!!!

I can barely believe this has arrived. Next thing I know, show season will really be here.

Good luck to all others out there on foal watch/mare stare.

Liz M.

I can barely believe this has arrived. Next thing I know, show season will really be here.

Good luck to all others out there on foal watch/mare stare.

Liz M.

I can't believe it either. Good luck! I will be right there too. We haev 2 mares that look like Feb 5 babies maybe. I hope it warms up and the mud leaves too! :aktion033:

I can't wait to see [SIZE=14pt]her[/SIZE] [SIZE=8pt](or him)[/SIZE]!!!

fairy2.gif

Good Luck with you new baby on the way!!!

I put my camera's in last weekend.

Moose is really grumpy.. she's got 12 weeks to go!

~Sandy

Each season has its pleasures to look forward to. I'm looking forward to foaling in early March and continuing through late April. The anticipation of new foals is one of the greatest feelings in the world. Of course seeing the new babies romping in the fields is fabulous. And planning the right crosses for next year, and on and on. I just hope the weather improves before foaling time.

Good luck with yours. I hope SHE is everything you hoped for.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband will adjust the cameras this weekend. Have one mare that is due late Febuary or early March. Several due in March and one due early April. Others later in the season. Mare stare is coming :new_shocked: > Wishing everyone good luck on mare stare. :new_shocked:

[SIZE=12pt] Awww I keep waiting and waiting and waiting to hear! Almost worse than having a mare to watch myself. At least then I could go to the barn and see what they are doing!!![/SIZE]

Falcon is mum on this one, he won't say and I don't remember if we asked him if he would make a girl for you or not. I think he declined to answer. Last time we asked Falcon if he would make a filly for Liz, ( he stands up in his stall, so he is directly eye to eye) and he nodded his head "yes". That was was Lark. He didn't comment this year!

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz, I enjoyed your story about 'Grandma' mare
default_yes.gif
: And I'll be hoping for that filly for you!

We seem to have a strange thing going on here.....I've never had mares due so early (early Feb) so I have a question. Are mares bred for early foals likely to carry a bit longer than if they were bred for foaling say in May, June? Has anyone noticed them carrying longer?

I have 3 mares that started bagging up for foaling in the first couple weeks of Feb....then they just stopped! There've been no changes in 2 weeks! So....what's going on?

Happy fillying! (oops, FOALING)

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Back