Foal scours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaB Ozark

Reaction score
My little chocolate valentine has scours/diaria(sp). The dam is in heat but we are also supplementing her with Foal Lac (three times a day - 1 1/2 cup) - mama doesnt have quite enough milk. I have given her Imodium AD twice a day for the last 2 days but she is still bad. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Lisa - Ozark

I am in love with biosponge. Works wonders. I used biosponge and gave pepto every 4 hours until I saw an improvement. I actually saw a HUGE improvement in 8 hours and a complete turnaround in 12. I never expected to see results that quick and I am talking about completely liquid stools.

What is biosponge? That is a new name for me.Thanks, Lisa
I sent you a pm about it, But for all those that don't know.

Biosponge is made by platinum equine products, their web site is www.platinumperformance.com or google it on the internet to find a online tack/supply source. You do not need a vets prescription. It is made from diatomacious earth(SP) and comes in a paste or powder, the powder can be mixed as needed. It is given orally and absorbs the toxins, coats the intestinal walls and settles the digestive tract. It works wonders, I am sure as the foaling season goes on, just like last year, there will be more and more people that will sing its praises.

It is worth its weight in gold to have with your vet kit.

Carolyn

I didn't know Immodium was okay for horses? That would be handy to have on hand in the vet kit for me in the future.

When we had a foal with diarrhea, the vet said give 10cc of Pepto-Bismol 2x a day and that seemed to do the trick fast (only gave it twice total).

What about Probios? That might help her, too. They sell them at TSC and they have an expiration. I think there's a lot more "active" stuff in the tubes than when people try and give yogurt for the same purpose.

Also, would giving the dam Equidone help her produce more milk? (I don't know, am asking in case it helps -- I know it stimulates milk production but don't know it can increase it when it's already being produced.)

When our dog had diarrhea a year or so ago, the vets gave them something that I think was the dog version of biosponge. It worked well.

Good luck!

PS note about immodium in dogs -- it's okay for most but not for some herding breed dogs. For some herding dogs, it can be toxic (sort of like ivermectin can for some herding dogs).

Last edited by a moderator:
I called every supplier around here plus my own suppliers and none of them had biosponge. I ordered some online but will not be here for two days. Our vet always said to give them Inodium or Kaopectate. I will try the pepto bismol. The anti diarrhea meds have always worked for me before.

She is running around like a maniac but she sure has the stinky scours. Mama is getting Dompieridone (sp) - I always think it sounds like champagne and it is as expensive as champagne !! She is also getting milk plus. I have cut down on the mix on the foal lac - she is still getting 1 - 1 1/2 cup at least 3 times a day but maybe not as strong.

Thanks for all the input !!!!

Lisa

Lisa the Domperidone = Equidone. I think it's just the brand name. That is good to know on the immodium as well. I think it's a good sign how active she is, but also good that you're keeping an eye on her.

You can also get Diarsynl (sp?) from a vet, that worked for one of my fillies last year when the probios & Pepto Bismol didn't do the trick.

I would definitely give your little one some probiotic paste or powder in with the milk replacer, that helps a lot for any animal when you have to give milk replacer. I've bottle fed many different critters and that has always really helped when they developed scours.

Everyone has given good suggestions.........I'd stress the probiotics too. What may be causing an upset is the combination of her own momma's milk AND the Foal Lac, but until that's sorted out you may have to deal with it and treat it.

Just for future reference......and you may have done this, but we worm our mares immediately after birth with Ivermectin. It cuts down the incidents of foul scours tremendously.

I found out that the peppermint Kaopectate became a treat for foals - and as soon as they saw the syringe coming they would fall all over themselves to get that yummy stuff! It made dosing the little guys ridiculously easy...
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back