"Foal Response" Anyone Use This?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapestry Minis

Reaction score
I just happend to come across this paste for newborns to give them a kick start. It is a Colostrum/Probitotic paste. Instead of having to tube or force a foal.

I've read a testamonial that basically it is given as soon as the foal starts breathing. I was wondering if anyone has heard of it or used it?

I have used it before....but not "as soon as the foal starts breathing". I have given it in cases where the foal was weak & I wasn't sure if the foal got enough colostrum...and wanted to give it a little extra "help".
default_yes.gif
:

I use it with every foal. Not as a replacement but as a "kick start". We have noticed it allows the foals to start nursing almost immediately, be more active, etc. I give from 1/4 to 1/2 tube depending on how the foal like it. We also notice that when the dam goes into foaling heat, no diarrhea with these foals. They seem to respond to this kick start within 2-3 minutes and become more "lively" especially after a hard delivery. Just seems to work for us.

Do you have to get Foal Response through a vet or do stores like Tractor Supply carry it?

L:)

I tried it for the first time a few days ago, did seem to give an extra boost. Will keep it on hand.

I got mine from Jeffers.

Lynda, Red Earth sells it. I've considered using it myself, though haven't yet. May pick some up today when I'm there!
default_smile.png

We use a product called Nurse mate ASAP. It is basically the same thing. It comes in a tube applicator like past wormer. We use it right after birth. It gives the foal a shot of energy and stimulates the nursing urge. Costs about $6.00 per tube and is well worth the investment. I prefer to give it right away rather than wait to see if the foal is going to have a problem.
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you everyone for your responses. :aktion033:

I found it on ValleyVet.com if anyone has a hard time finding it and would like to use it. I do believe I'll have to get some for next year. After having two Failure Of Passive Transfers (one made it one didn't) I'm not taking anymore chances. I do like the idea of a kick start.
default_yes.gif
:

Suzie do the foals swallow or lick it up pretty well being that it is a paste? I certainly wouldn't want to choke one or have one aspirate on it that's for sure. Thanks again!
default_wub.png
:

i tried it last year. I was a little worried the foal would choke because it was quite thick goo.. but he did OK i guess. Yes you can get it at tractor supply. I also wouldnt' RELY on that as being your only colustrum substitue if for some reason your foal doesn't get it from mom..but it's a good kick start and handy to have around.

I've used it and love it. Use it on all foals. I also used an E. Coli paste for the first time this year and had NO FOAL HEAT DIARRHEA!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Thank you everyone for your responses. :aktion033:
I found it on ValleyVet.com if anyone has a hard time finding it and would like to use it. I do believe I'll have to get some for next year. After having two Failure Of Passive Transfers (one made it one didn't) I'm not taking anymore chances. I do like the idea of a kick start.
default_yes.gif
:

Suzie do the foals swallow or lick it up pretty well being that it is a paste? I certainly wouldn't want to choke one or have one aspirate on it that's for sure. Thanks again!
default_wub.png
:

I use the same thing for this as I do wormer- I squeeze it out on my index finger. If cold, I keep it up under my shirt until it warms to body temp, which makes it like toothpaste consistency. Then I slip it into the foals' mouth just at the corner behind where the last tooth would be and wipe it on the back of the tongue. They tend to stick their tongues out like they are licking something to get it down. This helps prevent the baby from choking as they only get a small amount at one time and it is spread out over the tongue. Once they get that down, I do a bit more. It takes about 5 minutes to do it but I don't rush it. I usually give it about 10 mins after they are born, after the cord breaks and they try to stand up some. I wait to make sure they have no mucous in the nose and mouth and they are breathing fine on their own. By then, they tend to start the tongue action to try to nurse my finger. Once assured they have an open airway and nursing reflex, then I give them some. Most seem to like the taste, even though it looks yuckky to me. Plus, using my index finger in the mouth lets me be sure there is no obstruction by feeling.

I worm paste the same way. I squeeze out the appropriate amount on my finger and stick it behind the last tooth like a bit (quickly) and wipe on the inside cheek. That way, they don't spit it out and I am sure they got the right amount. Obviously this would not work with big horses, but since the minis only take a partial tube, it works for us.

Back