Foal question.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie.C

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question as I've never had a foal like this..

I have a nearly 2 week old filly here who is not at all interested in people, all other foals were curious little beggers who within the week were coming up for scratches or to see what was going on.

Now my question is with this filly that really takes no notice of me, have sat in the paddock and she doesn't show any concerne at all, not interested but if I approach her she seems scared.

So do I -

a) leave her be and just see if she becomes interested

Or

B) start putting her and mare in a stable and handling her now..

I would have her in for awhile, at least maybe bring in at night, or for a her feedings and yes handle her.. or start putting on halter and just short grooming session
or touching all over her body.
Our foals at two weeks are eating foal pellets. You will have to put in two buckets one for the mare and one for her..
Being some mares do not like to share and after a while the little foal will start pushing mom out of her bucket funny watching how they learn...

We never 'handle' our foals, but we do stable the mares at night until the babies are a month or so old, so they become well used to us being around with teatime, late night and morning feedings plus the other general work at these times. As the mares are happy to have us 'close' to them and are always pleased to see us, the babies soon learn to be relaxed when we are around and by the end of that first month they are usually coming up for fuss and scratches both in the stables and outside in the fields - even the occasional one that I would classify as a more nervous type.

Handle her every second you get the chance. She will get over it!

I would handle her every day. It is easier to win them over when they're small. They all have individual personalities and hers is just more cautious. Have fun.

Latest posts

Back