foal people help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
my mini foaled 3 weeks early last night! so it's a little bit of preemie...things went well except for the fact I had to help the baby nurse every hour for the first few hours last night....shes a beautiful little filly! Her name is Whimsy's Wee Treasure, Treasure for a call name.
default_smile.png

Anyway...one of the foals front legs is bowed back some ESpecially at the knee. I will be calling the vet (again) first thing monday (tomorrow) morning to make an appointment anyway of course, but was wondering if I should put an emergency call into my vet? Or is there something I can do? Or should I not worry about it? Aggghhhhh ! LOL
default_wacko.png
:

Hi, Congrats! I am not an experpt by any means but we do have a few foals here every year and this year we had a little colt who's front legs were very twisted. It was the first thing I noticed and my heart sank. I thought he would never be right. I called a friend who has had a couple full size babies and she came over and said "they will straighten, no big deal". I noticed within the first 24 hours a bit of difference but they still looked bad. I would say it took about a week before they really straightened and he is now 6 weeks and they are fine. Once your filly gets out and runs around you should see a difference. It is scary I know. Hope this makes you feel a little better until someone else responds or the vet arrives. Good luck and have fun with your new baby!

It's true that foal legs usually do straighten up with time & exercise.

When it comes to a foal that is preemie (or borderline) I'd be very careful not to let the foal have too much turn out time--those legs need time to mature & strengthen without being stressed by too much exercise.

I say this because last year a friend of mine had a filly born a month early, and both of her front legs bowed back. The foal was outside moving around--not in a large area so that baby was worn out following its mom around a big pasture, just in the usual paddock where new foals are kept--since usually exercise is the best thing for straightening legs. This filly actually got worse, so was put in the barn. The owner was upset with herself for not keeping her in & even splinting her at the start (and yes, I know there are negative things to splinting a new foal, but in some cases it's necessary--I know someone else that did splint a new foal, and it made a huge difference--nothing but beneficial.) In the case of this friend, the foal's legs never did come straight--they did straighten some, but not enough.

Preemie legs that bow backward are one thing that I consider reason for confinement rather than turnout.

i would definately consult your veternarian. Sending good thoughts

Confinement is best or very limited turn out time with that kind of leg problems for the first one to two weeks. I have had several foals born here that way and they always straighten up with time and proper nutrition. Be sure your foal and mare are recieving the right vitamin/mineral/protein combination. I've also had very good luck with Progressive Nutritions' Rejuvenade for young horses with leg problems. High in vitamins A, D and E as well as other crucial vitamins and minerals. Buckeye's Foal Aid is a similar product. You can start a foal on those when they are a week of age.

Confinement is best or very limited turn out time with that kind of leg problems for the first one to two weeks. I have had several foals born here that way and they always straighten up with time and proper nutrition. Be sure your foal and mare are recieving the right vitamin/mineral/protein combination. I've also had very good luck with Progressive Nutritions' Rejuvenade for young horses with leg problems. High in vitamins A, D and E as well as other crucial vitamins and minerals. Buckeye's Foal Aid is a similar product. You can start a foal on those when they are a week of age.
[SIZE=14pt]I Agree with Becky 100%! :aktion033: Our colt, Sultan's Ice Creme born 2 months ago had very weak and crooked back legs! Our vet said to do exactlly what Becky posted and our colt is strong and straight now![/SIZE]

Bill

Just from this thread, I would like to mention. Just our Experience.
default_yes.gif
:

Good Example Misty survived her ordeal with the colt being cut out, and bounced back with no problems and hope is now bred for next year. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

We had week pasturns, our first year, and started our Minis on Minerals, not just the block, and boy we have seen such a difference on the up right and good sturdy legs now, when they are born. Just our experience and might help. We also found our Mares are not overly fat for birthing and do not look run down after.

Just have to make sure each one gets their share and does cost more.

Worked for us.
default_wub.png
:

I believe good feed and supplements are needed for these little guys.

Just sharing :saludando:

Be sure you discuss this all with your vet.......but I agree with the others. Limitted turn out time at first and proper nutrition will help your foal "catch up". I bet you will see improvement within a couple of weeks.

MA

I talked with the vet and explained what the leg looked like..he said he would be out tomorrow to do the blood work, look the foal and mare over and look at that leg..he thinks there shouldnt be too much of a problem with it, but of course cant be sure until he sees her..he said to keep her in the stall until he saw her.

I just got the mare..I think on 6/17 and she was due around 7/28 so it's 3 weeks early, I guess her first was also, this is her second and last! LOL I couldnt take this again!
default_smile.png
She was in good shape, mostly on pasture...I got her on grain, beet pulp, a good vitamin supplement, kelp and all the good grass hay she can eat when I got her here just to be sure all would be as well as could be. I'll be sure to talk to the vet about feed when he comes...I know she needs to be on a high protein grain which the grain Im giving her now is only 10% fat and 10% protein..so low...I know I need to get that changed...I just didnt want to mess with hi percent grain when I first got her as she had been mostly on pasture.

Thanks to all of you for you wonderful help and advice!! You folks are awesome! :bgrin I'd love to post a picture of 2, but I cant seem to figure out how here..if I emailed them to somone would they post them in this thread for me?

Latest posts

Back