foal color question ...could you post pics please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Trying to decide what color my foal is this year. He looked like a typical choc silver/ possibly smokey when he was born. His sire is a red silver and the dam is a palomino. When I clipped him, he is pretty much the same color underneath as his foal coat was. So far any chocolates or smokeys I've had have always been a totally different color underneath. He would almost make you think he was liver chestnut and even though his coat is chocolatey brown it has a pretty goldish sheen to it. I doubt he's a chestnut though as so far out of 10 foals all have been black based -he's had 3 red silvers, two suspected smokeys, a bay and 4 choc silvers. None of them looked this color after clipping and he also didn't have the typical pinkish/reddish eyelids most chestnuts have
default_wacko.png
: Somebody needs to just come up with a home genetics test kit :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: Anyway, I would love to see pics of any light choc silvers, silver buckskins, palominos or liver chestnuts within a couple of days after being born and even better would be ones after first clipping. Thanks in advance. I know you'd think these colors should be obvious, but I've seen too many of these guys look one color one year and something completely different the next.

The only ones I can help you out with for pictures are my two Palomino Pinto foals from this year.

Songcatchers Golden Rings at about 3 weeks:

golden_rings.jpg
nash004003.jpg

and at about 3 months (sad clip job):

nash005006.jpg
nash005005.jpg

Songcatchers O Danny Boy at about 3 weeks:

ddphoto1.jpg
nash004001.jpg

and at about 2 months (still unclipped):

__danny_boy1.jpg
nash005001.jpg

songcather, your foal rings sure has a nice croup! My guy is definately darker than that and his mane is pretty much the same color as his body for now, it looks like it may lighten, but I am assuming that if it were to be palomino - white it would have been born much lighter? And I am pretty sure if it was to be black like a bay or buckskin, it would surely show a hint of that . I'll have to try to get the little guy to hold still long enough to get a picture. He love's to get his butt scratched so it may be hard to keep him far enough away to get a good one LOL

When you say red silver, are you meaning a silver bay?

Here is a 3 month old silver black colt; I actually think that he is a smoky silver black but haven't had him color tested so can't say that for sure.

Silverfuzzy.jpg

This colt was actually born looking like a palomino--he had a nice golden color, but that faded before he was a month old--then he turned "white". I need to get a current photo of him. He's 4 this year, and while he is obviously a silver black, he is not nearly as dark as the horse below--this boy is more of a golden/grey/brown color--rather unusual.

This is a silver black colt at the age of 3 months:

Iceman3mosa.jpg

This is the same colt all grown up:

IceManMay_A1sm_05.jpg

Here is another silver black, just a few days old:

Img_0116.jpg

Here is a 3 week old silver buckskin filly:

Request3weeks1sm.jpg

A silver bay:

Img_0742.jpg

Here is a picture of my new silver buckskin filly who was born 6/1/06. She's Rowdy / Buckeroo bred. Her dam is silver dapple and her sire is perlino:

Harrells Flirting With Perfection / "Flirt".

Flirt%2006062006%204.jpg

You can see how her mane and tail have a lighter shade than black, like a "misty" cast to them. That's the silver dapple gene. Her lower legs will also be about that same color when she is older I believe.

Come on guys... your bummin' me out LOL I was hoping I had a "different" color this year. I love what my guy throws, but I'm getting tired of all these smokeys and silvers :bgrin
default_wink.png
: My colt actually looks a lot like the color of the pic Minimore posted of her silver black, except my guys nose wasn't quite that light and when I clipped him he was the same color underneath as the foal coat. So far, none of my others have done that, they all looked different unwrapped. You guys were suppose to tell me "Oh cool, you have a ?????"

Just kidding, I was just trying to see if perhaps I finally had a horse of a different color this year :bgrin I am going to get a pic today and post it so please keep checking

Latest posts

Back