foal colic no vet availabile

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had similar issues, here in very rural montana vets are hard to come by, we had a large animal vet, she sold the practice to another vet who did small and large animals but only between the hours of 9-5. Had a 1:00am colic (in a biggie) horse I knew it was bad, I knew he would probably have to be put down, however I wanted him not to suffer. When she finally called me back (2:30am) after I relentlessy rang her cell phone, as in dial ring, voicemail, hang up, dial ring, voicemail she agree to come. The horse died while we were waiting, I called her cell, she said nope she had to come and confirm he was dead, like really I couldn't tell that. She arrived 20 minute later, agreed he was dead. Boy were we surprised when we received a bill for $250! She didn't do a thing, I called her before she had left her driveway, I mean really. She sold the practice to a small animal vet, she won't consider the mini's small animals even if I take them to her.

Found another vet, no equipment small enough when I had a colic, could only give another dose of banamine (I had already administered some before his arrival.) I purchased equipment, stomach tube, pump, oil, pepto etc. to keep on hand. (Haven't had a problem needing it since.)

Found another vet, he is great however is a considerable distance away, he has small enough equipment except dental floats. I plan to buy a set because he can and will do the job but doesn't want to invest in the equipment for 5 horses. Can't say I blame him. He has been fantastic, I love him and hope he never retires. He knows that I have veterinary experience and doesn't treat me as an idiot or talk down to me. We have had some great conversations over castrations, shots, blood draws etc.

I hope that you can find your personal "fantastic" veterinarian, you may just have to look really hard, or fine one that has the skills doesn't mind the littles and purchase some equipment to keep on your farm.

If there is a mini breeder helping you out.. Who do they use? You might have to use word-of-mouth to find a good vet that others are happy with.

Latest posts

Back