Foal cams- I'd like to get one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
I know a lot of you have foal cameras. I have a TB mare and a mini donkey due to foal here this summer, and I would like to get a camera....but one that I can have somehow connected online so I can view it while working. (I work at home, however my office is in my basement). Is this quite an expensive venture? How much more above and beyond the cost of the camera might I be looking at? Then I assume it needs to be hosted somewhere, like marestare, or can I somehow host it on my own site? I know nothing about that... I have a site with GoDaddy.com. I have a ways to go yet before these foals are due, but I would like to plan for this... I may get two cameras and flip back and forth between the two because both are due at the same time.

Thanks for any info!

Angie

Hi Angie

Cameras run anywhere from 50.00-400.00 We have a wired camera we bought at radio shack for 100.00 that works fine. I have used wireless but they are not as dependable. ONce you get the camera if you get wired you have to get enough cable to go from the barn to your home. Sometimes that costs more then the camera

Then you have to get a video capture device. I got mine at best buy for 50.00. Mine is a dazzle.

You hook the cable up to the dazzle and then hook that to your computer and tv.

I use wefoal and its 20.00 per month for one camera. Both wefoal and marestare send you free software to make the cam run online.

Sounds mind boggling but its really not. Both wefoal and marestare are great about helping you get set up

Mine is on hosted both my own website and the wefoal site

I think both wefoal and marestare are the same per month, $20. I have marestare and set mine up pretty much like Kaykay. It is worth every penny to me to have mine online. My husband watches my mares from work when I have to go out. I know someone is keeping an eye on my girls nearly all the time. My camera went off and Rich called me to alert me. Thanks! If you have a camera run into your home, going one step further with either WeFoal or Marestare is not that expensive to me for the comfort I have.

I have never heard of a hook up fee. Its just the monthly fee. If you have more then one cam its a bit more per month

Im setting mine up as I type! Im so excited to get it back up and running. I have all the computer stuff done just waiting now for hubby to come back and put the cam in the stall
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no "hookup fee" - and both marestare and wefoal are great companies to deal with - I would recommend either company - but be cautious of any others out there. Marestare and Wefoal are tried and true and dedicated to their client base - and that is very important. Both are honest and trustworthy companies!!!!

I have used Marestare for 3 years and can honestly say that the service is incredible!!!!!!

The best thing to do for you - would be to contact both companies - I am sure that they will be able to answer all of your questions - whether your questions are related to what type of cam to purchase, what you need as far as computer specs, other hardware and software necessary, etc.

Marestare:

[email protected]

WeFoal:

[email protected]

Please PM me if you have any questions. Thanks.

Cyndi

www.mistymoonequines.com

Hi Angie!! How are you?? Any who... I just got my Mare Stare cam up and running. It was so much easier than I thought it would be. I am not a computer person but it was so quick and easy and Heather helped when I had a question. I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately I can't watch from work....
default_no.gif

it can be inexpensive .. We had the camera with the wires to barn and ya needed a capture device blah blah,

Well my barn is a ways from the house so this time we went wireless. And it hooks to the back of ANY tv so I can see her ALL the time we just set an extra tv in the Livingroom, this way even while online I see her,

Sadly other folks dont get to see but thats ok,

YOu could do it this way then set awebcam from your camera to look at the tv ...

Our new camera was 100.00 and set up in 5 minutes WELL WORTH the peace of mind

Has anyone else tried this

default_aktion033.gif
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to comment on a neat inexpensive way to monitor expectant mares over the internet.

I recently bought a Panasonic Pet Cam camera off of Amazon. I believe Target also carries it. Panasonic carries wired and wireless versions. Through Amazon, I paid about $90 for the camera.

The camera includes free server to be viewed over the internet (you will not have a monthly bill). The software that comes with camera will also record to your hard drive if you like. I am able to pull up still images on my Motorola Q cell phone when I am away from the house. I can press refresh on my cell phone and current photo will display. I do have the unlimited data package on my Verizon phone.

I have only had this for a few months but it is working great so far.

If interested, go to Google search and look for Panasonic pet cam.

Good Luck!

Thought I'd share what I just finished setting up...

I can log into any computer or my cell phone and see what's going on in the barn!! This camera is so cool.....it "pans" so you can make it turn about 180 degrees and see from one end of the barn to the other, also can look up and down!

And...you don't need any other external devices to transmit the images to your computer or cell phone.

Panasonic BL-C131A Wireless Network Camera (about 250.00 on Amazon); there is a similar model that does not pan/tilt, for less $. We tried some others first but this is THE one. Read the rave customer reviews on Amazon if you want more detail on how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tami!

Cool, I wanna see your cam!

So you can use *any* camera? I have one...I bought it several years ago at Harbor Freight Tools, very cheap, and works GREAT! I looked at Marestare's site, and see the cost of running a cam on there is quite reasonable, just need to look into the video capture device now....I see someone paid $50 for a Dazzle soemthing or other...that might be good! I do have a Dazzle product, so somewhat familiar with the name...

Thanks all!

Angie

Latest posts

Back