Fly Predators

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
I've gotten two brochures in the mail on Fly predators from two different companies. I was wondering if anyone has tried them and if they are worth it?

I heard how good parasitic wasps are awhile back, and wondered if they are actual wasps that can sting (I react badly to stings) but a friend told me last year that they are the size of a fruit fly, they have no stingers, and are very effective.

If you live in a cold climate like we do apparently you have to reestablish the colonies every year, but we are definitely going to give them a try.

We used them last year for the first time - and I was amazed at how well they worked for us. :new_shocked: I do believe if you are in an area in which you have neighbors with livestock, they will not be as effective. However, for us - our farm is miles away from any other livestock farms.

It is important to follow the instructions exactly. Based on our success (and I was very skeptical of the claims), we promptly reordered a supply for this year.

The answer is "yes." We used them on our compost pile every year while I was growing up and in exactly as much time as it took for them to hatch and the previous batch of adult flies to die we always noticed an immediate reduction in fly population. Never had a problem with them either and our cats walk through there so if they were going to bother even small animals they would have. Good stuff, I'm telling you!

Leia

Well........I didn't really have much luck with them. Much better investment and something I like so much more is the automatic fly system. It is definetly worth the money, should have gotten it when I built the barn not several years later.

I purchased some last week to come every other week starting in April. I got them at http://www.rinconvitova.com/ They were very helpful with scheduling and telling me where to put them. Also they said I have to use adult fly traps, i.e., strips, etc. The wasps will only eat the larvae.

We'll see.

default_yes.gif
: Yep, we tried them last year. BIG improvement in fly population. I was impressed. We will order again this year for sure.

I was reading the literature, and it says that they reproduce every 2-3 weeks..so then why do they need to send more each month?..just wondering.. They sound like they would really be helpful

We had a fly spray system in the old barn, but used the fly predators around the foaling barn. They really helped, and I will use them again here at the new place. Only problem I had is fire ants getting to them before they hatched. The instructions say to put them up off the ground if ants are a problem.

Jan

I have used them for years! In fact my first shipment is due here in a couple of weeks. I had a fly system in the barn and it worked great IN the barn but not outside. I hated being sprayed also. I took it out and sold it. I use the traps also. I get mine from http://www.spalding-labs.com/home.php

Liz

They seem to work best if you use a manure pile where they can really get at the larvae (sp?). I live in the city so the manure goes in the trash then so do the predators.

Robin

I'm glad to hear they work, as I just purchased some a couple weeks ago - they are going to start coming in April. For whoever asked - why do you have to keep putting them down if they hatch in 2-3 weeks - I think because they only live 3 weeks and other critters eat them too, so you have to keep them stocked up. Ants will eat the larva, bats will eat the predators (they are nocternal) Plus, they only travel 300 ft from where you let them out, so you have to put them in various locations. We had flies really bad last year, so I'm hoping these little fellows will work!

I have a question. Someone earlier said that they do not work well with other livestock around. My horses are right next to cows and we have a big fly problem. Will the wasps not work with the cattle around? I don't want to waste money if its not going to work for me.

I have a question. Someone earlier said that they do not work well with other livestock around. My horses are right next to cows and we have a big fly problem. Will the wasps not work with the cattle around? I don't want to waste money if its not going to work for me.
It doesn't matter what other animals are around, they still work. The drawbacks are they only work on filth flies (house flies), flies that lay their eyes in manure. They don't work on biting flies, horse flies, deer flies, etc. and you can't spray the area with pesticides, they are the first to die.

The challenge with other livestock nearby, is that you order a quantity based upon the number of "livestock".

So if you have a neighbor with 50 cattle down the road and you have 10 horses. You will be ordering based on 10 horses - which will not be a sufficient quantity and thus they will not be very effective at all. This appears to be one of the reason's for the greatest risk of failure.

We have used them for years - they are Great! The wasps do not sting. We get them from Spalding Laboratories in California. I much rather have the fly predators then put poison in the barns!!(Fly Spray Systems) You need to get them at the beginning of fly season so the fly predators do not have to play catch up.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back