fly away mane help needed !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori

Reaction score
I have several minis with crazy manes. Very bushy. Besides conditioning and things like show sheen, what do you use to keep them down before a class? I've seen some that have a wet gel look and I wondered what it was or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Lori

We use some Royal Crown hair stuff. Thicker than a gel kind of a paste to wipe in. Will not solve all mane problems.

Mark

Hair gel, like for people
default_yes.gif
:

Also, if the mane is very full, undercut it and even on some of mine, I cut just a bit from the left side of the neck.

Sometimes it is a matter of trying different human hair gels to find out what works best. I like a product called LA LOOKS styling gel. It can be put on to give a wet look if that is what you like or put on and left to dry to hold the mane in place. I especially like the fact that it never leaves the hair stiff after brushng it out. Good luck, mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Look in the ethnic hair products at WalMart, Fred Meyer, Kroger, etc. Their are any number of products for controlling hair and adding shine like Dapper Dan that George Clooney uses in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou...)

One I'ved used, simply named SHINE, holds very well and is extremely glossy, esp. on a black mane or forelock. Be sure to wash it out afterward, as it could dry out the hair...

Moisture Max in the ethnic section of Wal-Mart, Dollar Stores, etc. It is a cream and doesn't stiffen the mane and tail hair. We also cut the heavy ones down a little on the opposite side of where the mane lays.

We have a few here who have frizzy manes. We undercut their manes to thin them out and use the Royal Crown hair stuff at the shows. Works well and their manes lay nice and flat at the shows. I'd like to find something less greasy then the Royal Crown, but for now, it works.

Undercutting the mane to thin it out will help out alot in the frizz department.

Jen

So by undercutting do you mean you cut some of the hair out underneath. Would not that make the mane kind of stick up, poof up or whtever? By undercut do you mean pull the mane? Just owuld like a description of all that entails.

I sometimes do pull my horses manes in the event its too poofy. And I experiment on what hair gel gives me the look that I want. I work at the dollar tree so I am always trying there stuff out...
default_smile.png

So by undercutting do you mean you cut some of the hair out underneath. Would not that make the mane kind of stick up, poof up or whtever? By undercut do you mean pull the mane? Just owuld like a description of all that entails.
I take the clippers and clip a "path" of mane hair away from the underside of the mane on horses who have thick manes
default_smile.png
It doesn't make it stick up and as it grows out (in the off show season), I've never seen hair sticking through or anything.

Latest posts

Back