Flooded!!! pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaladar

Reaction score
From the fires in Texas, to the flooding in Calif...here is what we woke up to. All barns have water in them, the pastures are under a lot of water...we have had 6=inches of rain in the last 24 hours...sigh...The house isn't wet though....

and fortunatly I have 30 bales of shavings to refill the stalls with as soon as the water drops enough to get the barn drained and the wet shavings out.

flood1.jpg

floodbucket1.jpg

a water tub in one of the pastures....errr..lakes

floodinside2.jpg

under the 60x20 overhang on one side of my front show barn....thank goodness I had all the horses in the barns last night...they would be up to their bellies and higher in water.

It's not just us....all around here is under water. Some have flooded houses, etc.

And it is still raining....

Oh joy......

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
new_shocked.gif
OMG! Glad you and your horses are up and out of that!

Sure wish Mother Nature would balance some of this stuff out and send some of that water to the Southwest!

MA

Oh my!!!
new_shocked.gif
Mother Nature sure has taken a toll on everyone this year. I'm glad you and your babies are safe for now. Best wishes coming your way for everyone to stay safe and dry.

wow that is a lot of water. lve been very lucky we live in a valley and have had no major rainfall for the last 4 years but worry if things should change and the rains come as everything seems to be one extrem or another where the weather is concerned. seems one day you think you live in the desert the next beside the ocean.

Knowing how awful flooding can be you all have my prayers for the rain to stop, the water to go down and the sun to shine again.

The water has dropped a couple of inches, so I can start sweeping out the main barn...thankfully it is cement floor w/mats, so as the water drains I just push it out. And it didn't flood too bad since I had worried about it last night, and piled shavings around each of the doors, and that slowed it down, so some of the horses in the barn were only in a couple of inches of water.

Once the runoff starts, usually goes along with the tides, it goes down pretty fast...we are expecting high tide at 3pm, but hopefully it won't affect us here too much, just slows down the runoff.

In the 30 years I have lived in this area, this has only happened twice.

I am thankful though, it could of been worse.

Sue

Oh my, that's a lot of water. Hope it runs off fast. Glad your little ones are doing ok too.

Oh wow!

That looks horriable ..your going to have some serioues mudd here in a while!!!

Leeana

no.gif
no.gif

Well I guess I won't complain about the constant rain and mud here. Constant fight to keep the stalls dry but their run outs are dry lot or should say a mud lot right now.

I hope your water recedes but sounds like this storm is with us for a while on the west coast.

I heard you guys were getting soaked - that is incredible! It's pouring down here right now (So. Cal.); I just got home and had a white knuckler of a drive through that fog and rain!

I'm sure you know - more rain on the way, through Monday.

Take care,

Liz R.

Hey Sue, sorry you guys are under water. My husband and I just got back in, frozen fingers and all, from sandbagging a friends place down the road. They have not a single dry spot on their entire property. While I was there I was interviewed by SacBee and Fox40 news (camera and all
wacko.gif
). Supposed to be on the ten o'clock news. And I looked just awful!!! Ugh!!

We are pretty dry as we are higher, but there is flooding really bad all around us. We drove by all of our friends places to make sure everyone was ok.

Hey Stacy...I was wondering how you guys fared...I'm wondering about Michelle too...I'll be sure to watch the 40 news.

I've got the barn doors pretty well sand bagged, actually, shavings bagged, so hopefully the next one coming in wont get in the barn, which is several feet higher than the ground around it....LOTS of water!!!

As the waters are receding, I found this salt lick...pretty...LOL

floodsaltlick2.jpg

and remember the muck bucket on the first page? Here it is as of about a half hour ago, now if it just won't rain for about a year

floodeveningbucket.jpg

I sure do wish we could send this rain to those that need it !!!!

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I will just shut my mouth about the 7"s of snow we got last night.
biggrin.gif
OMG, if we got flooded like that, I wouldnt know what to do. I hope your water level goes down, and am glad to hear all your horses are OK. Corinne

Hey Sue, looks like "modern" art. You could make a million on that piece! Maybe you should go put some more licks out and then start up a business! LOL

So good to hear the water is receding on your place. My friends place is still pretty bad and of course more rain on the way. oh joy!!

I was going to reply to this when I saw it this morning but then my power went off! You're getting the storm that we had yesterday! My barn was totally flooded....but I had my mini's out in their pastures with shelters. I had almost put my stud colt and his dwarf buddy in the barn because their area was so flooded....but their shelter was dry and I know when the culverts get full my drainage system from the barn becomes a back flow into the barn and it floods(this is the 3rd time it's happened in 15 years), so I was glad I had left them out. I had taken pics and was going to post them.....but my camara fell out of my pocket and landed in 6 inches of water in my tack room.....it's toast! Today we didn't have much rain and now all the lakes are gone.......it's amazing how fast it drains off. The pond behind me was full and also overflowing into my pastures. Rain, rain, GO AWAY!!!!!!! Unfortunately we're supposed to have another storm Sunday and Tuesday and showers in between and all next week......so tired of the rain! I hope you're place gets back to "normal" as fast as mine did.

My goodness Sue you really were hit in Vacaville! I didn't know Vacaville was hit so badly until Jenn Davis (bluerogue) called. She thought she might have to evacuate her minis out of Rio Linda, so I told her to bring them here.

We're on hills, so other than watching Putah Creek rise we're only dealing with run off and mud. I moved all the stallions down by the house so I can keep an eye on them, and make feeding a bit easier, otherwise we're doing fine. The horses were actually out running around in the sunshine this afternoon and the mares have been gone all day up on the hills. We gets lots of creeks and pools and with all the recent grass they're hard to get them down here in the afternoon!

BTW - Stacey, Kathi (wcr) and I saw you on the news! We were talking about the flooding out your way and then there you were! And no you didn't look bad, especially if you had been out sandbagging!

We drove out by Davis, but other than standing water in the orchards and a few low lying houses, it wasn't that bad up here. Kathi mention the water coming across the Causeway outside Sacramento was like driving across a lake.

Hi Sandy - Kathi is here, but I don't know how the roads are, so she'll either be heading home tomorrow or Monday. Her barn was ankle deep in water the other day according to Airica and Greg.

My two party poopers (hubby and Kathi) celebrated the New York New Year, so I'm back on the forum!

Stay dry and Happy wet New Year to all of you!

Wow that's awful...those pictures are...so incredible to see. The reason being that it's amazing how sneaky and mysterious mother nature can be. She's got lots of tricks up her sleeve! I'm glad everything/everyone is ok!

Reminds me why I love living where I do...which is the highest point in the local area...

Hi. I cant believe that you guys are copping floods and over here in Australia, we just had our hottest day on record - for NSW - 46 degrees celieus -sorry about the spelling - and we are on the coast - and it still didnt help. Hope the water is starting to recede. Regards, Kerrie

Latest posts

Back