Finally, something good has happened for us

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
OK, so my life hasn't been exactly good these last couple of months. And now here we are, with it raining almost every couple of days and I'm getting low on hay. Sigh. So I start my calling to all my regular hay guys. No, too wet, haven't been able to bale. No, none here. And so it goes.

Then.....wonder of wonders, a guy who is literally 5 miles from me has been able to put up a very small cutting of almost pure alfalfa. What????? Big, giant, beautiful bales. Oh, they smell so good. Now, ordinarily I don't feed alfalfa because my guys don't need it, but I couldn't resist. I bought 10 bales (and laid on them inhaling once I got them home). I'll mix them with my remaining grass hay and it should last until it stops raining. And, this guy says he will bail regular grass hay just as soon as he is able to get it baled in the dry weather. Again....what??? And only 5 miles from the house. We've driven 2 hours one way in the past to get hay. I'm in heaven.

I didn't want to buy too much because I'm not even sure I'll have the horses in 2 months, but they sure will be happy.

In the past, when I've mixed alfalfa with grass hay, they have pulled out every single strand of alfalfa first before eating a single piece of grass hay. How do they do that without thumbs, I'm wondering???

Right now I'm just feeling blessed to have good quality hay for a while. Hey, it doesn't take much to make me happy. (you should see me jump up and down when I find a quarter in the bottom of my purse, you would think I had won the lottery LOL)

Oh wow the way you described it I can smell it! It's heaven! I love the smell of fresh baled hay but Alfalfa is the best smell! You are so strong and such a inspiration. Yes you are blessed.

Is wonderful news you were able to get some hay! No better feeling in the world.
default_smile.png

I went out there last evening, before I went to bed to throw some hay, like I do every night at 10:00 and the entire barn smelled soooooo good. And yesterday I made it home, unloaded and stacked it on pallets BEFORE the rain started. That is NOT typical for me. Typically as soon as I leave the hay field the heavens open up and the hay gets all wet. (That's just how my luck runs....LOL) Now I'm wishing I had bought more because it's so nice. There is nothing quite like the smell of nice hay. (except maybe warm clothes fresh out of the dryer).

I have my last showing of my farm today before I list it with the realtor. At 10:00 am tomorrow morning the realtor will come and we will sign all the paperwork. I did speak with him and I can write an exception to the contract. So if these people are interested, I can make them an exception and if we get an offer in the next two weeks, then I don't have to pay the commission to the agent. Hey, you never know, it could happen. We'll see.

Awww, what a wonderful stroke of luck! You must feel so relieved now, not only that you got some hay to last you until after the rains, but also a nice, close source for your grass hay too!

You made my day dixie belle - so pleased for you! I can 'smell' your fabulous hay all the way up here
default_yes.gif
. I laughed at you stretched out on the hay 'smelling' - an experience that binds us all - no matter age, gender, or distance !

Best wishes on the posting with the realtor. You have worked so hard and it is time to reap the reward!

You know you are being thought of my an army of folks!

A bit off topic but I find it funny that over there 'alfalfa' is hardly fed. In Australia we call it Lucerne and it is the primary hay we feed to any horse or pony. Very rarely do people over here feed grass hay. It has less sugar than any other hay believe it or not.

We also buy bags of it chopped up called chaff and feed that with the horses grain/pellets and it is the main ingredient in our feeds.

Last evening I went out and I was really tired so I just grabbed some of the grass hay and put it in the feeder. I didn't want to have to move an unopened bale of the alfalfa to the front and cut the wire and I thought maybe I could get away with just the grass hay. Um....no such luck. They all stood there and glared at me....wouldn't touch it at all. I swear I could see the little thought bubbles over their heads saying "I believe you forgot something....now get us some alfalfa!!!" So at 10:00 pm I'm lugging a bale around and cracking it open for them. Spoiled? maybe

AAAWAWWWWWWW!!!! "Not spoiled, not us..." so they think!

I purchased a compressed bale for our rabbits - every evening before I go out to feed the ponies when I get home from work (the rabbits are under our carport at the back door), I stop and sniff that bale...
default_whistling.gif

The ponies now ALL get alfalfa pellets added to their feed - but it's not the same as a barn full of real alfalfa!

Latest posts

Back