Flip Flops

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobby204

Reaction score
I have been hearing about using flip flops on the driving horses what are they and how do they work? Has anyone ever used them and to what sucess?

Thanks

I have never used them, but have seen them used. The ones I've seen used were a small piece of garden hose, folded over a small dog collar then duct taped together, leaving a loop where the two come together so that the hose moves. As the horse moves the hose slaps at their leg, causing the horse to pick up their leg higher. The faster the horse goes, the more the leg gets slapped. I know people who leave them on 24/7 and others who just use them when training. I've never used them, do not believe in them or other action devices. My thought, you want a horse that moves with high action, get one that has it natural.

Are you talking about an action device as described above or are you referring to the 1/2 metal shoes with a rubber back that are designed for horses that overreach or often pull their shoes? Ive only worked horses in stretchies, never used action devices. I have ridden and drove horses in the flip flop shoes. I am not sure of what their correct name is. But I liked them, they were noisy, but kept the horse sound. I've seen them used extensively on standardbred trotters and I think this may be why they are catching on in the driving world.

I've seen lots of the flip flops (Rubber garden hose) and I don't think they really slap the horses legs.... They are usually too short to really strike the horse. I think they just make the horse hyper aware of their feet and get more exaggerated action when they are on... And thus build muscle. For safety reasons Id be afraid to drive with them (although usually they are attached with an easily broken piece) but plenty of people do... And lots leave them on the horses 24/7 in their stalls not just while working. To me they are a little nicer than the stretchies/bungies and don't create that "legs pulling to the outside" path of motion that looks so artificial.

However, I prefer to buy talented horses that don't need anything at all done to them ;)

To make your own.... Cut a 9" section (more or less depending on your horse) of thin green garden hose and fold it in half through a 1" metal ring. Duct tape the two halves together. Attach the ring to a leather (or PADDED nylon dog collar with a piece of baling twine or other easily-broken-if-stepped-on material. Put the collar around the fetlock of front or all four fetlocks. These are always made, very rarely purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
20140526_084413.jpg

Bubba wearing flipflops. He only wears them in his paddock for a few weeks before a show. He's done now this year and won't wear them again, if at all- he's retiring!

My horse began to drag his back toes about 4 years ago. His hooves are squared off on the toes from dragging. I've had 4 farriers look at him, and xrays of stifle. The consensus is that he is possibly too lazy to pick up his feet. Do you think flipflops would benefit him? I hate to see his toes all worn down.

I could try them on his back feet while we are out on our 2 mile walk perhaps?

I have never seen/heard of this before. Appreciate the photo.

I refuse to use them. Those things are rock hard and slapping on skin covering bone. Whack whack whack! Just not a believer in pain "training". If you have to hurt them to get what you want, it's time to really think about what you want. Want a hackney? Then get one!

I would use light chains or weighted bell boots first, and honestly--I don't use those either. Don't need them--not on my minis and certainly not on my ponies.

I made some for Dapper Dan. I had some restraint things made for people (got them in an auction box). They are soft cuffs with velcro. I made the dangles out of hose and duct tape. I tried them on myself and they didn't seem bad at all. I couldn't even really feel them. I put them on DD today on our walk. I'd really like for him to pick his feet up and not wear off his toes. They didn't seem to affect him that much. Maybe the dangles are not long enough.

Maybe I will look into the bell boots.

sfmini---Thank you, thank you, thank you! You said exactly what I SO STRONGLY feel! And not only 'what you want;, but WHY you want it.....

There is NO muscle or fat below a horse's hocks and knees...just bone, ligament, tendon, and skin(and of course, nerves...meaning pain sensors).Please, who can offer a 'real' reason(NOT 'that's what wins'...)for WHY NATURALLY-GIFTED MOVEMENT IS NOT ENOUGH, for heaven's sake????

Okay, I'm looking for something helpful here. NOT intending to cause an argument.

I tried the flipflop thing on Dapper Dan. Here is a picture of what I did. Also it shows his worn hooves. I am VERY open to ideas about the wear on his hooves. Perhaps it doesn't even matter; no trimmer I've asked seems that concerned, but it doesn't seem right to me.

He started dragging his back toes about 4 years ago. There are no signs of joint trouble; the consensus seems to be laziness. I am rather in denial about that.

The flipflop does not seem cruel to me. I've only used them on him once, so far on a walk. I'd like some feedback, whether those with experience think it will help him pick up his feet. Or not. If not, I won't use them. If it might encourage him to pick up his feet, I'll give them a try for a while. I have zero experience with movement aids.

Contact me privately if you wish. This is obviously an area where folks have strong feelings.

My skin is very thin, so please do not bash me. I want to help my horse.

flipfop.jpg

Marsha--is he a lazy sort of horse? I ask-because I have never known a horse so lazy that he drags his feet. I've met a couple who just couldn't flex their joints enough to pick their feet up properly--no specific joint problem, just poor moving horses that lacked flexion. If you get him revved up so he is trotting around--does he pick his feet up then?

I think that with the wide cuff you are using he won't feet the dangly hose--there is almost no leg showing between cuff and hoof, so the hose will only hit his hoof, which he really won't feel.

He is not lazy, but I think he does lack flexion. It may be my fault, not knowing how to encourage that. When he is trotting at "pick it up" speed I do not notice any drag.

Maybe I will try to modify the dangle.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking it is a flexion issue. I think I will pursue a chiropractor or perhaps xrays. Do not think the flipflop thing is appropriate for him.

This is basically the same as 'soaring'... =/

His feet almost look tall instead of a normal triangle, could that be part of his issue?? Or is it just the picture making them look very upright?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like he's not engaging his hindquarters correctly, whether due to poor movement/musculature or joint pain. He's not a youngster, if I remember correctly? If he were mine, I would try him on a joint supplement (4Cyte is very good, or Legend), and start concentrating on helping him work from his hind end in harness. Lots of correct bending to weight the inside hind leg, frequent transitions, and encouraging him to move with good impulsion. If you're unsure what you're looking for, Horse Gaits, Balance and Movement by Susan Harris is a great book with excellent descriptions and detailed diagrams to help recognise good vs bad movement, as well as information on the physical issues that result.

Further investigation with a veterinarian and chiropractor never hurts - except your bank account, but if they don't find anything wrong, at least you'll have purchased some peace of mind that he's not hurting. Good luck with him!

He's been on a good joint supplement for over a year. He is 17. He did have a stifle injury 3 years ago, but no sign of that now. I just have a feeling something isn't right lately. I've discussed his hooves with 4 farriers over the years. Yes, he grows upright; always has. He is trimmed every 4 weeks. No lameness, no favoring legs that I can tell. I just know him so well, something doesn't seem right.

I guess this has progressed beyond the question of the OP! I seem to have hijacked the topic. Sorry! But the idea of the device to make him aware of his feet seemed interesting.

Thanks for your responses. I will check into that book

Latest posts

Back