Flehmen/yawning?? Does anyone know why pregnant mares do this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lena1

Reaction score
Am just curious as to why some pregnant mares yawn and curl their top lip up.

We noticed Celena doing this early thismorning and then I remembered reading that some mares will do this quite a bit a few hours prior to labor. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Cheers

Karen

My mare yawned for about 2 weeks before she foaled. I was told it was because she was uncomfortable.

I don't know, but I wonder if the Flehmen situation is because their sense of smell is altered when pregant (like in people, tastes are altered).

I thought yawning was a sign of pain in horses, so one might contribute it to discomfort in this case.

We had a horse that incorporated this into her "getting ready to foal for real" routine. Sometimes, she'd fuss like many others do, then shut down the routine & go to sleep. But, on the night/day when she added the yawning thing, we knew she was serious about going into labor. That was a definite. Worked every time. I too believe it might be an expression of pain. This mare also pawed a lot when real labor was coming on. She was quite demonstrative.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had several mares, not all, who yawn a lot hours before foaling out. And yes, it's suppose to indicate discomfort.

MA

Latest posts

Back