Flea Bitten...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of horses in which their colour is considered grey flea bitten?

It's been years since I've seen one! They must be scarce and very difficult to match up???? At what age does this colour and pattern become visible?

Thanks

I have seen horses and ponies grey-out to flea-bitten in just a few years, while others take a very long time, some never at all. There is no time limit; as all horses grey at a different rate, and some simply go "white".

Hopefully there will be a picture or two in answer to your question. Perhaps you could search this forum, as I recall not to long ago, someone had posted some pictures of a few flea-bitten minis.

Having had only a few grey horses myself, ( but KNOWN many) two of which were flea-bitten, I have always thought it to be almost the end result of a greying horse. they seem to end up either flea-bitten, or white. I have never seen a flea-bitten horse lose the look, and completely grey-out to "white". Has anyone?

A flea bitten stays flea bitten and is one of my favorite colors. I have only seen a few true flea bitten minis and I think it is Yankee minis who has one he is very cute. I have seen 2 mares as well. One day I will have one
smile.gif

We have a tiny flea bitten grey mare.....

dandy1b.jpg

She was born bay but within a short time "goggles" began to appear and it was obvious that she would turn flea bitten grey like her dam.

I have other pictures of her you might enjoy. If you'd like to see them send me your email address. ( I only have one pic of her on my site but I have several I could email )

Carol

Mini Brook Farm

Here is Anzara. He is also in my avatar pictured with a flea-bitten Arabian gelding.

anzface.jpg

This is his full bodyshot-- you can just barely see the pattern here too.

anz09_15_05Lsm.jpg

Oh Tracy! When I saw this title I immediately thought of Anzara! Gosh I love that boy! I am not a grey lover but I do have a soft spot for flea bitten greys as it was the first horse I ever rode. Anzara looks just like him 40 yrs later and much smaller of course!

One of my favorite colors in minis because it is so rare!

There is a beautiful flea bitten mare on the Hoofbeat Acres site. Her name is ARC Rosie and I do believe she has recently been sold. I wish I could have been the lucky buyer!!!

Rosie is in Canada now.

Yankee's horse is the best example I have seen yet.

We used to have a mare that was flea bitten but we sold her and I dont have any pics of her.

Here are some photos of our grey Arabian mare that is a flea bitten grey. She started out a darker grey with a dark grey to black mane and tail but greyed out fairly early, around 5-6 years. Others will grey out later. She is pregnant in the photos
wub.gif

Mistique01.jpg

Misty5.jpg

Misty2.jpg

Photo credits: Jeff Little Photography

Last edited by a moderator:
The best horse I've ever owned was a flea-bit grey Arab gelding. If you'd like to see some pictures of him, he's featured on the "In Memory" page of my website at www.postrockminiatures.com Someday I hope to find a miniature replica of him, it's a very beautiful color IMO.
538.gif

Beautiful pics of gorgeous horses!

I was thinking about an old friend that owned a flea bitten Arab and it dawned on me that I haven't seen a live flea bitten mini.

Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

Oh Ginia! I went to your website and read the beautiful story of Jinks. Jinks was a very handsome horse and obviously a best friend to you and your family. I'm sure he appreciated the fact that you gave him a wonderful life.
yes.gif

Here is a picture of my Missouri Foxtrotter registered as a Blue Roan. This is the color she was when I purchased her. I know....I know....there are some extra legs in the photo. Her foal was standing on the other side.

Freckles-2.jpg

Sorry about the size of the picture. I downloaded it twice and the other picture is postage stamp size. I don't know what size I need to make it in order to come out right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned a flea bitten gray as well, she's not with us any longer. I have to say she was the most araby looking mini I've ever seen. She was registered as white with black vanishing marks. Here is a picture of her

silverhead6-5-04.jpg

I have a flea bitten grey similar to Tobey's but can't post pics yet. He can be seen on the gelding page of our website though.
wub.gif

Here is the "ARC ROSIE" horse that you are talking about. Was a beautiful mare at Hoofbeat Acres in MN and now I believe she is in Canada with Countrylane Miniatures?

rosehead1.jpg

Rosie is in Canada with Heather Walton, of Aberdale Shelties and Miniatures.

Dyfra is turning into a flea bitten grey but I do not have any good close ups of her.

Started on her head,, now it is down her neck..sure in a few more years she will have it all over.

Latest posts

Back