FIX YOUR FENCES!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willowoodstables

Reaction score
About a month ago, I was coming home late one nite and as I was clipping along I saw a dark shadow in the road. I whoa'd up and holy cow there is a big dark dark bay horse in the MIDDLE of the road (stupid horse eat the grass on the shoulder). So I had a rope in the truck, put on the 4-ways and called to this horse. It came right to me. I fashioned a halter and thought..hmmm..I have lived on this road for 30 years and there is NO big brown horse around here. So I go bang on doors (horse so doesn't want to get close to front steps) and little old lady says "I'm phoning the police!!!" (Oh it was 2:30 am) I "please do I have a horse here and have NO idea who's it is!!" Oh that's the guy across the road...so across the road we go (meanwhile my truck is still in the road with 4 ways and cars are whipping right by) and his gate had 92 chains wrapped around it with beware of dog!!! Hmmm..it's about 3/4 of a mile to my house and I think maybe I'll just walk it to my house and put in the pasture and get hubby to drive me back. (He sleeps like the dead so no point phoning on my cell). BUT my truck is STILL running, in the road, with the 4 ways (me thinks someone WILL come along and goes WOW a new $65K truck waiting to be taken). So a set of headlites are coming and slows down..woowee it's the police (PLEASE TURN OFF THE FLASHING RED LITES SIR, MY ARMS AREN'T LONG ENOUGH TO HOLD THIS THING). Officer gets owner (OMG I went to school with him and he's a nice guy) and he is soooo happy and thankful and yada yada. Great sir, check the fence and have a good nite.

LAST NITE I'm clipping along (but as I come up to his place I slow down) at 2:00 am (yep night owl here) and as I pass his place I speed up. HOLY CRAP that freakin horse is closer to my house (I could see my house) and stupid thing is planted in the MIDDLE of the road. I lock it up and she still won't move and I close my eyes..this is gonna me bad (I skid for 10 feet or so..need new rotors I'm sure) and somehow the stupid BI!CH moves. I have nothing in the truck and I'm freaked freaked. Race into my laneway scream for hubby and son to get the heck in the truck to help me find this thing before it gets hit. My heart is pounding soo hard and my mouth feels like the sahara desert (adreneline rush x 100). Put 4 ways on and start creeping along towards the last place I saw the horse. Can't see her (she is a near black) and then voila right across from where she lives she is standing on the shoulder eating grass (she obviously spooked with me in the 4 wheel lock up and headed home). Into park, grap leadshank and say "hey girl". Well she nearly mowed me over to get to me (hey buddy I know you). Get the leadshank on her, hubby gets gate and then beats the crap outta his door. "Oh I can't believe she did it again, and isn't it amazing it's you that catches her again" OMG I lost it, I was still suffering from an adreniline rush and I said For BLANKETY BLANK sakes, I don't know how I didn't hit her!!!! "Oh there must be a hole in the fence"...

Honestly, I just handed her over a went home to vomit and get NO sleep and still am shaking here at work. So I called our By-Law enforcement. I WANT HIS FENCE FIXED the idiot!! I have a 1 ton desiel truck..she would have creamed my truck but I might have been ok. What if someone in a small car was to hit her (she is about 16hands/1000 pds)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you not think you would have checked your fence after the first time?? Is it fate that this horse and I are destined to meet in the dark at 2:30 am once a month!!!

Sorry for the vent, I just don't handle that kind of major adreniline rush well. Makes me physically sick!! Poor horse, she won't come out well either if she gets hit.

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Last was a very lucky horse that it was you that drove by
default_wub.png
:

OMG glad you and the horse are ok and hope he fixes the stupid fence. Some people have no clue eh?

I totally enjoyed the story! That is one lucky horse. Maybe she has 9 lives. 2 down, 7 more to go.

Just one question:

Where have you been to be out on the roads at that hour? hehe......You don't have to answer!

dang, you would really think he would have everything secure after the first time. Got to LOVE people like this hey? Corinne

Having had our horses get out on the road once, we went through and double checked EVERY INCH of fence right away and now padlock all gates that open to the outside. I can't believe he's being so casual about something that could KILL his horse or another driver out on the road.

Once is bad, twice is stupidity on their part... I think this horse is telling you it wants to move in with YOU permanently.

A neighbors lonesome horse came to visit every few months by sliding the split rail fence and getting out. The neighbor would come and bring him home. Then the horse would come very week and I would catch him and bring him back. Then I started keeping him over night and next day calling the guy to come and get his horse. He never even missed the horse

We live on a bad bend of the road, can't see whats coming on either side no matter which direction you are driving and people SPEED and cross the line all the time. There was just a fatal motorcycle accident involving a young man after only being home for 2 days after 2 tours of Iraq, he died right in front of my house hitting a telephone pole.

Finally, I marched the horse over to the neighbors and EXPLODED! REALLY FREAKED OUT ON HIM!!!!!I said... you know, I am going to be the one that cries and freaks out when (NOT IF) this horse gets killed!! I know YOU WON"T!!!! I have enough stresss in my life without worrying about one of yours. NOW FIX your GD fence or sell the poor horse before he gets killed. A few weeks later the horse is at a nice 4H girls farm and is safe and doing fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back