First try.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, here is part of the batches I made tonight of the exfoliating fruit slices. This is a blueberry scented one. The lemon and lime ones are not ready to unmold yet. Thank goodness it's Friday, going to feel TIRED at work in uh lets see :new_shocked: oh my I need to be out of the house in 5 1/2 hours, lol. Not much sleep tonight!

Blueberry_fruit_exfoliating_slices-1.jpg

Danielle, Those are great! Of course blue is my favorite color, I'd like to know how those princess stickers turn out and where you got them. I have several nieces that are into the princess thing. Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my I love those exfoliating fruit slices!! Boy do we have a lot of things to be able to try! Thank you for posting that link to those pretty green soaps. I love how each one has it's own pattern and the shades of green are beautiful. Soap making is definitely an art!!

Thank you all for your kind words about my soaps. Sorry the picture is so teeny weeny. I'm still working on this posting pictures thing.

Danielle, your soaps are great. Love seeing pictures. And yes, I am really enjoying making soap.

I found out, too late unfortunately, that part of my order from Bramble Berry was deleted. I had ordered the soap sampler and they emailed me that the goats soap was unavailable till the end of the month. They only gave me a day to let them know what I wanted them to do and I did not see the email in time so they didn't send any of the soaps. I don't know why they just didn't send the remaining soaps in the sampler. I was so very disappointed. Oh well. If anyone orders from Bramble Berry, be sure to check your email. I wish I had checked mine sooner. I had to reorder. And will be waiting even longer for supplies. DARN!!

Has anyone used any of their soaps? From all the places you have ordered, which did you like the best ? I have made all of mine so far with soap I bought at JoAnns. I used one of my clear glycerine soaps when I showered and was not too thrilled with the feel it left on my skin. I am hoping the soap I ordered from Bramble Berry is nicer.

Thats a good idea for hot chocolate soap! I do make chocolate chip cookies soap, with tiny bits of dark choco for the "chips". I did try a coofee soap, but I didtn care for the smell of the soap at all. Just adding ground up coffee dont do anything to it, and the oil I bought was YUCK! I do alot of rose soaps for people, and I do have real rose petals in mine. I have some glycerine and rose water soaps in molds right now. With all my 100's of African violets Ihave, I really should start saving the flowers and do a violet bar. The only thing I dont care to do with soaps is use some clays, it sure can make a nice new washcloth a big old mess after using it just once. If I feel ambitious today, I might do some almond meal soaps, or confetti soap. If I do I will post pics. Corinne
Well I was entertained by reading this entire thread. The Corrine had to mention violets....she knows I adore them and Sterling I love those oatmeal combo ones and Danielle I think your orange/chocolate ones are stil my fav to see. I wish computer has smell! I am not going to try this hobby, :eek: God knows I have wayyy too much of my own BUT...when they are ready for sales I hope folks will remember me. 123 days til Christmas ya know.

What I am doing is loofa fruit slices (sorry not sure on spelling of loofa?). You take a loofa sponge, long cylinder type and put it standing up in a tall round container
.. .............FYI - those sponges are very easy to grow. One plant yields many....... After maturing you peel the outside off, take out the seeds, wash out the slimy stuff & let them dry. Great for using as pot / dish scrubbers in the kitchen also.

Wow..I have been following this thread and wanting to make soap too!

The loofas really look cool...I want to start with those(I guess because I always have dry skin)...what kind of container do you stand the loofa up in?? How long do you let the soap cool before slicing the loofa? Can you post a step by step process for these?

Thank you in advance for any information! :saludando:

Pam Kent

:aktion033: Finally I did it NO BUBBLES! I even added glitter and dye. Next to try adding scents. Kathy

soap004.jpg

soap003.jpg

Oh Beee-utiful Kathy!!!! :aktion033: :new_multi: Yeayyy!!!! Did you wrap them yet? I love them all! Your horse embedded one is so pretty, and I want to do a seasscape one as soon as I get my shells from my sister. The teeny tiny ones are adorable! Good job!

The loofas really look cool...I want to start with those(I guess because I always have dry skin)...what kind of container do you stand the loofa up in?? How long do you let the soap cool before slicing the loofa? Can you post a step by step process for these?
default_yes.gif
: I'd like to know about the lofha mold too!

Thanks for the kind words Deb.....LOL...me and my sister are already having jokes about the soap making. Looks like everone on our list will be getting one kind of soap or another...tee hee!

I'm planning to order from Brambleberry today for some supplies. I'm hoping to place an order over the phone. minis3...I'm sorry you did'nt get your complete order in....hope it gets to you soon tho.

:bgrin Well all you soapy guys finally got to me, I was in Cambridge today and it just so happens there is a huge Michaels store there. I just couldn't resist going in and looking for soapmaking supplies. I ended up with a 10lb bucket of clear soap.another container of shea butter soap, moulds, essential oils etc and to top it off bought an electric soap kettle and a book. I won't tell you what it cost me but everyone on my list is getting soaps and bath salts for Christmas :bgrin I won't be doing it tonight as I have to leave really early like 4 am to get to the Canadian National Exhibition for a mini horse show so tomorrow will be a loooong day. Maybe Sunday and then I will post pics good or bad and you all can tell me what I am doing wrong or right :lol:

Yvonne

I bought at JoAnns. I used one of my clear glycerine soaps when I showered and was not too thrilled with the feel it left on my skin. I am hoping the soap I ordered from Bramble Berry is nicer.
. Glycerine soap can do that but some suppliers have much better glycerine soap bases than others. The one thing I ALWAYS do if I am using a melt and pour opaque melt and pour soap base (not the clear glycerine one) is I add to it because I don't like the feel of the pre-made glycerine soap bases on my sking either, that is why I prefer the cold process soap making and that is why I do that mostly now because there is a HUGE difference. Now you can add to your pre-made soap base some coconut oil (that will help give you more lather and bubbles to your soap) and add either grapeseed oil (which is an oil used in massage preparation oils or you can use a bit of sweet almond oil. Now the coconut oil I understand you can buy at Walmart for those of you in the U.S. and you can also buy the grapeseed oil. If you can't find those there you can find them at ethnic/international food stores for sure. The coconut oil is solid at room temperature and off white in color. By adding these two oils to your melt and pour you will cut down on that glycerine feel of your soaps, you will add moisture properties with the grapeseed oil and you will add lather and bubbles with the coconut oil.
Okay, now for the directions on how I made those fruit slices. First - the mold - DON'T DO WHAT I DID LAST NIGHT
default_wacko.png
: . I thought I was being so clever in using an empty and washed and disinfected can, not a soup can, that is too small, but a food tin/can. WRONG!!!! I even oiled the inside of it before attempting this. I left the bottom intact and placed my lofha in the middle, prepared my clear glycerine, colored it, scented it and poured. I had to anchor the lofha down because it kept wanting to come "up" off the bottom of the tin can. I then placed the poured soap in it's container in the fridge to speed the process of getting hard and cooling off - that worked well (be careful, put oven mitts on when you do this, the container is HOT. It took about 45 to 60 minutes to harden totally. Now was the time to "unmold" and....
default_wacko.png
: No way was that sucker coming out. So I used the can opener and open the other end of the tin/can thinking I can push it right out, WRONG!!! It was stuck but good. After about 10 minutes of trying everything I could think of I found my husband's tin snips and cut the darn can/tin away, lol. So now you know, DON'T USE A CAN/TIN. What you can use is a plastic cup (fairly tall one and that will work or a piece of pvc pipe, use plastic. Now you could use the tin/can but only if you place some parchment paper all around inside, then it wouldn't stick.

My daughter sent me an email at work today saying she is going out tonight SOOO grandma is babysitting AGAIN. Makayla and I are debating on what to make tonight. I won't do cold process soaps till tomorrow as Makayla can't be part of that, too dangerous with the lye solution. So I think tonight we are going to attempt bath bombs in the shape of a heart with embedded rose buds and a few other things. Will post when we get them done. Wish me luck, lol. Always more difficult when little hands are getting into eveything,
default_wink.png
:

Yvonne, welcome to the "soaping club" :aktion033: . I see you are in Ontario, are you on the other side of Toronto going toward Kitchner? or are you on this side, going toward Ottawa? Just wondering because if you get to like doing this and want to learn how to do cold process soap, since we both live in Ontario, I might be able to come and help you get started on your first cold process batches or soaps from scratch.

I hope you don't mind my posting this on the soapmaking thread, but I, as most of you know, work at Racetracks in the money counting area. One of the reasons I like the idea of making the glycerine soaps is

because I use straight glycerine on my fingertips to help separate money when counting. During the meets, I have the softest fingers you ever saw. I don't know why, but the glycerine when it is dry on your hands, makes the money easier to hold and separate. We have all shapes of bills, old, new, torn, and dirty. The glycerine also helps you get your hands cleaner when you're finished.

Yvonne, welcome to the "soaping club" :aktion033: . I see you are in Ontario, are you on the other side of Toronto going toward Kitchner? or are you on this side, going toward Ottawa? Just wondering because if you get to like doing this and want to learn how to do cold process soap, since we both live in Ontario, I might be able to come and help you get started on your first cold process batches or soaps from scratch.
Hi Danielle, I can't wait to get started but have to wait at least until this horse show tomorrow is over, are you going to be there? I live west of Toronto, actually west of Orangeville in a place called Kenilworth just east of hwy 6, we are north of Arthur and south of Mount Forest so if it isn't too far to scare you off :bgrin would love to have your help. I also want to ask you where I can get some of the horse head moulds, Michaels didn't have any and I would love to do some of those soaps.

Yvonne

Thanks for posting that about the cocnut oil again Danielle......I'm going to be looking for some this weekend at Walmart.

Just Us....thats an interesting fact! Now I know what's in those little pots that I see tellers working with are!

Yvonne.....so your a new "recruit"!! I think you'll really enjoy starting to make your own. Lucky you to have a mentor so close by you guys can get together and craft!

My sister tried her first melt and pour today with my baby nieces. They were all just tickled pink and all giddy and giggly...it was so funny to hear them like that. Well she just had to call me once they poured the first one. She made an oatmeal/pearberry bar....and she said it smelled wonderful!

Yvonne, I know Orangeville well, it's HORSE COUNTRY!!! My arabian horse's sire was there back in 1999 but has since been exported to the middle east. I am southwest of Ottawa, about 45 minutes and about an hour and 15 minutes max to Kingston, probably more like an hour.

To answer your question, no you won't find anything like that at Michael's. The molds that Michael sell aren't very deep either, perhaps 1/2 iinch to an inch maximum. There is a large soap supplier in Mississauga and their website is Canwax.com. Go check them out, you can get EVERYTHING there for the soaper and on top of that they are WAY less expensive than Michaels and better quality.

Good luck at the show!

Kathy, I LOVE
default_wub.png
: the imbedded horse you used. That really is a very nice horse embed. I am glad everyone is having fun! Well I made those bath heart shape bombs last night and :no: they just won't set, it's VERY humid here. One thing to remember about bath bombs, very difficult to do it the humidity is high, almost impossible. I am going to try again today as I told my husband to shut all windows and start the airconditioning since I am doing cold process soap today. Just heading out to buy some more lofha, lol. I have a basket I am preparing for a co-worker as she wants to give it to her daughter's babysitter before her daughter goes back to school, will post a pic when I get it all set-up. Enjoy your day everyone, oh and I am doing my first scented critter today
default_wacko.png
: please wish me luck, I am going to need it, lol.

Yvonne, for that horse head mold, you will probably have to order it from a U.S. soaping comapny. Will take a peek and see if I can find it.

Danielle, thank you SO much for the info for additives for my glycerine soaps. Will definitely try these. I decided that the ones I already made will still be fine for just hand washing even though I wasn't pleased with them for showering.

You gals here are the greateat! Thanks for all your advice and for sharing.

Welcome Yvonne. This is how I got interested in soap making too. Reading all these posts and finding out how fun soap making can be. Everyone on my Christmas list will be getting soaps for Christmas too. I ordered a horse mold, cat mold, butterfly mold, dinosaur mold for my grandson, all from Bramble Berry.

Kathy2m, your soap with the horse embedded in it is terrific.

Ok I am jumping on the band wagon and going to give it a whirl. It looks like to much fun! Now I have been to Bramble Berrys site. I am thinking the sampler pack of their oils and bases is a good way to go? Which book would you recommend? I am going to start out easy with the MP soaps. Any suggestions on what colors to start out with or do they have a sampler of that to? I didnt see one. Wish me luck! :bgrin

I got the horses at walmart in the toy section, they are The Grand Champions, Micro mini horse collection. They have lots of different ones. Thanks for the complement, Kathy

Latest posts

Back