First Time Mare Owner....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
I have been reading the post about Bonny and her soon-to-be-foal with interest. I have not owned a mare before, mini or regular, and I now have Lola. I wanted to know how often and how long mares come into heat/season approx. ? Also, should I separate her from my gelding when she is in heat?I only ask because I noticed, the other day, that her vulva is a bit swollen and he was sniffing around it and following her around in a very interested way. Obviously, I know nothing can come of it as he is gelded but I thought to give her some peace, I might separate them?Today he is not as keen as before.

Mares cycle every 21 days- just like a human. She should be in heat approx 5 days or so.

If he is mounting and penetrating her, it might be better to split them for a while so she doesn't get an infection. Otherwise, she's safe.

Lucy

Wow..did not know that..just like humans?Goodness. I will keep an eye on him..so far, just sniffing at her but that causes her to get a little annoyed with him..lots of tail switching and eye rolling...understandable really . What are the other signs of a mare being in heat?

Nicola

Mares cycle every 21 days- just like a human. She should be in heat approx 5 days or so.

If he is mounting and penetrating her, it might be better to split them for a while so she doesn't get an infection. Otherwise, she's safe.

Lucy

As stated, mares tend to have their heat cycle every third week or so.........like humans, they aren't exact. A heat can last 5, 7, or even 10 days. If she is reacting to your gelding's interest, she will squat and pee and the smell of it will be different.......musky(?) You'll probably also notice her vaginal opening "winking" just after she pee's, and she'll hold her tail up for a bit too.

If your gelding is only sniffing at her, not wanting to mount her, they should be fine together. But if he is trying to breed her, just for sanitation sake, you may want to seperate them for a bit.

Latest posts

Back