First One to Go - Pups

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greystone

Reaction score
Well Sissy pups are 8 weeks old and the first one left Sunday. A terrific woman from Kentucky; she drove 3 hours. Now I know why I haven't sold any horses yet. Of course she choose the one that had her ears up. I have seen on the web a way to get the others up - tape and moleskin. Any other ideas.

This is our only male - Bubba.

11565691_200.ts1182875650060.jpg

My first corgi puppy didn't start his ears coming up until after 10 weeks. My second was after 9 weeks, though he had a couple of littermates whose ears were already up. As an owner, I like being there for the "coming up" process - it's really, really cute.

It takes time sometimes. I wouldn't suggest assisting them quite yet. My little guy is 6 weeks now and still at the breeders. His ears are still down and only one of the four in the litter have ears up yet.

What a cutie! Yep, I'd have a hard time selling them if I had them too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked the princess up (also over a 3 hour drive) when she was just 8 weeks old.....I was disappointed when I called the day before I went to get her, and they told me her ears were already up!!!! :new_shocked: I was soo upset I didn't get any cute down ear pictures of her!!! lol NONE of the other pups had their ears up when I got Moxie...she was the only one! They also preceeded to tell me that the first one in a litter to get their ears up....is trouble!!!
default_unsure.png
: Well she's not trouble in my eyes!
default_wub.png
:

The breeder I got Moxie from also warned me that when they start to lose teeth, their ears *may* drop again...may only be one, or both, and like Moxie neither, but sometimes it happens....they say it's a calcium thing....

I'm not too keen on helping ears up...especially at that age. I've heard of them not coming up until 12 weeks...so I wouldn't be getting too, too worried yet....

That pup is surreeee cute....too bad he wasn't a cardi....I know someone (actually a couple of people) looking for a really showy tri Cardi male
default_whistling.gif
:

~kathryn

I was a professional breeder and show handler years ago in another life (HAHA). Our breed was German Shepherds but showed all breeds and owned several champion Corgies and Smooth Collies. I never worried about a puppy's ears until after 12 weeks of age and yes they do go up and down when they start teething. One thing you can do is massage the inside of the ear. Have the puppy faceing you, start at the base of the ear, hold the ear between your thumb and several fingers (thumb on the inside, fingers on the back) and then gently rub up towards the tip of the ear. Do this several times to each ear, it helps strengthen the muscles that hold the ear up as well as the cartlidge (sp) and most puppies love it. I did it to both ears at the same time, you can hold the ears up by the tip for a few seconds after the massage so that the ear is used to standing up.

If you have no experience taping ears, I would ask your breeder or vet to show you how. It takes only getting the tape a little too tight to loose the circulation to the ear--it is not worth the loss of an ear if you do it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always heard they needed more calcium in their diets to help the ears go up.

Sure is a cutie.

Jjay

Thought I would throw another pic ya'lls way. The one on left is getting picked up this weeked.

11594113_1024.ts1182968539434.jpg

And this is my trouble child.

11594297_1024.ts1182968846103.jpg

Sorry so big...not sure how I did that.

I do have to interject here that on occassion Corgi ears just never stand. I sold a puppy 5 years ago and hers never did come up. Your puppies are just adorable!

Lyn

pup2.jpg

Sorry this is so big :eek: This is my new little guy. He is just 4 weeks, so I am just visiting for the next month. I am hoping that I can train him to be an assistance dog. I'm now a member of the elite Corgi/Mini Horse club!! :aktion033: :bgrin

I raised Scotties for years and lost my last one last year. I have missed having a little big dog and seeing you all talk about your corgis made it an easier decision. I went to look at the litters with no feeling as far as color or gender. I only wanted "attitude" and a good temperment. I handled 8 pups then picked up this little guy and had an instant connection. He is the most laid back and gives wonderful puppy kisses. I am smitten.
default_wub.png
: I can hardly wait for the "bat ears" look.

While we are showing corgi pics -- here are ours with our new golden retriever puppy.

Sally is the Golden (is 7.5 weeks old) - Pippi is the black tri corgi female and Blaze is the red corgi female.

s-pippi1.jpg

s-playtime1.jpg

s-sallyblaze.jpg

JJay

Latest posts

Back